Huge Herni

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have a hernia about the size of a football.  It comes  through a weakness of  old C section scar.  Due to varying health issues. Doctors. Say it is too dangerous to operate.  Lately it's getting so tight and sore I wonder where it will end. I look like a pregnant woman.  It is so depressing. I don't even know how getting so big will affect me.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,  I had my children by C section, I am 69 years old have suffered a bowel perforation, due to adhesions, which led to my getting an incisional hernia, which I had repaired last September.  I found probablty the best hernia surgeon in the UK, Andrew De Beaux in Edinburgh, I had my surgery on the NHS.  I am on the road to recovery, it is not an easy op and not to be taken likely, but you could always ask for a second opinion it is paramount that you find the best surgeon you can, their stats are now published  and you can look them up.  All the best
  • Posted

Hi huge Herni.

i have read about your hernia situation, it is similar to mine i have a reoccurrent hiatus hernia. and i have been to told it is to dangerous to operate due to my health problems as a result of previous surgeries . in the abscence of any surgery to repair your hernia it can do only one thing and that is get bigger.  insist with youre gp that your hernia is regulary monitored for your on health and safety . henia can strangulate.you also need to know from the doctors what can be done if your condition becomes life threatning.? you should not be left worrying how your hernia is going to affect your quality of life later my advise is get a second opinion and get all your questions answered for your own peace of mind.

Andrew Exit!

• Posted

Thanks for the advice   I am not very assertive.  So I am going to try and get doctor to give me   A clearer idea of what my long time prognosis is likely to be.  It's been suggested I get a second opinion but I don't really know how to go about that
  • Posted

Hi, Elizabeth,

tell your gp that you are not happy with the opinion your last consultant gave you and ask him to refer you to a different consultant, as stated you nee to know what your long term prognosis is going to be and what action if any? the nhs will take in an emergency situation.

good luck

• Posted

I agree with the answers to date. I had a large incisional hernia repaired last Nov using a dinner sized plate of mesh. It's ok so far, just a bit twingy at times and a bulge, but the surgeon tells me that it's mostly fat! I'm writing this to suggest an abdominal binder which the hospital should provide. They are quite comfortable and might help while you look for a better solution. Good luck! 
    • Posted

Thanks I have a binder but my hernia does not go in it only helps support it.  I have only lately had it but it restricts my movements a lot 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.