Huge Impacted Hiatus Hernia

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I am 69 year young lady.  I have recently been diagnosed with a a Paraesophageal hiatus hernia.  A Barium swallow  showed  I had a huge impacted hiatus hernia with 90% of the stomach lying above the diaphragm.  My consultant told me that this is a life or death operation and that I have to be as fit as possible when I go back to see him in February 2017.  If it turns nasty before then he will have to operate as an emergency case.  I am horified at this news as it does not bode well.  I would be glad to hear from anybody who has had this operation  and come out of it okay.  I am well aware of the after affects of the operation and I will cope with that but I need to get through this ordeal in the hope that there is someone out there who can advise me.  I would appreciate any help.  I live in the U.K

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Silki, I had this op Sept ' 15 and it all went well. I was told how serious the op was but decided that I would go ahead as it was causing problems with my swallowing and breathing as all of my stomach was in my chest area and was leaning on part of my lung. I had keyhole surgery and didn't even need the intensive care bed which they had booked for me. I was only in hospital 2 days altogether which the Drs.seemed to think was unusual as I was 70 yrs old. I had no pain whatsoever but had to eat liquid food for two weeks ( which wasn't a problem for me as I love home made soup) then soft food for another four weeks. After that, no problems eating. My five little puncture holes healed up well. Now I can only tell you how I got on you must realise that everyone is different and you will have to think very seriously re this operation. Keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Dear airbles,  I cannot thank you enough for replying to my call for help.  I certainly feel a lot better now that I am in contact with someone who has gone through this serious operation and come out of it so well.  I agree with you that every one is different and hopefully if I have to have this operation I will come through it as well as you have.  I wrote a letter to my consultant asking him if I could have this operation via keyhole surgery as when I last saw him in September he said that I would have to have open surgery which is not what I want.  His secretary rang me to say that the consultant will see me after clinic in the morning to discuss this.  I will let you know the outcome and keep my fingers crossed that I can have this operation via keyhole surgery but I have a feeling that he does not do keyhole surgery.  Keep well and once again I cannot thank you enough for your kindness in taking the time to reply.  Best wishes Silki
  • Posted

i also need a very serious hernia surgery,different from yours,but risky...

my intestines are 40% outside my abdominal cavity and the dr said i woukd need to be in icu and maybe on a ventilator..

the abdominal wall needs  to bebuilt up with pig skin.i am 63,obese otherwise in generally good health,but i am so nervous.

hope everything goes well with you

• Posted

Dear RBZ, please do not worry about that operation as I had that done years ago and they used pig skin and I was fine.  They told me that I wouold be in ICU but I did not need to go I was taken back to a normal ward.  They keep the pain away with a self help pain killer that you can control with a syringe.  I did mine through pulling a heavy unit away from the wall in the living room, and because I had to wait so long for the operation (not my fault) the intestines came through the cavity and this was why it had become so serious.  Please do not worry you will come through this operation okay.  I would just like to add one more thing, I am glad that they are using pig skin and not mesh.  Pig skin does not get rejected, where as mesh may cause a problem later on and your body may reject the mesh.  Keep your chin up you will come through it oky. Keep in touch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.