Husband is addicted to Fentanyl

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone, I just took my husband to AADAC and he is currently in detox.  He has been there since Friday, it is Sunday.  He is completely defeted and broken.  He has been on Fentanyl for about a year and a half and it has gotten so bad lately that he can't function without it and it is affecting his work and our life, or at this point, lack of one.  I don't know what to do or how to help him.  If anyone can give words of advice they would be greatly appreciated.  If you nee more information please ask.  thank you

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that Fentanyl has so adveasily effected your husband and your family. I am currently taking 200mcg of fentanyl per 72 hours as a result of a horrific car accident. It allows me to function, work, raise my daughter and have some sort of quality of life that I would not have without it. It also helps cancer patients, people with MS and fibromyalgia, as well as a host of other chronic conditions. It should never be prescribed for anything other than serious, chronic problems or end of life circumstances.

I don't know why your husband was put on this very strong narcotic, but if it is interfering with his work and home life, it sounds as though he was either over-prescribed or abusing it. Was he using a reservoir patch or a matrix style? The gel can be removed from a reservoir style patch and abused, a matrix style is much harder to get around. Do you feel he has a condition that requires 24/7 pain management? Either way, he's in for hell on earth for a few weeks --- he's won't be successful in recovery if they don't deal with the problem of why he was put on fentanyl in the first place. I am sorry you are having such a hard time....please fill us in with more details and maybe more directed advice can be given.

• Posted

Thank you for your message, I am so sorry about your accident and that a dr perscibe this drug to you...but if it is helping you then that is a good thing.  My husband decided to try it for giggles one day and has been abusing it off and on for about 2-years, lately more so than not and he snorts it.  He buys it from the street.  I am so not impressed and the hell he is putting us through by choice is something I don't think I can forgive and am ready to leave the marriage.

• Posted

Goodness Nikki, This sounds horrendous for you both and far worse than what I had to deal with.  I do hope you can get some help and just be there for your husband while he is in the process of withdrawing.  It's a terrible, terrible drug and should only be given with caution and under doctor's supervision.  The first days of my withdrawal were hell but eventually I began to feel better and am just about normal now.  Just let any doctor approach me with this awful drug again and I'll go spare!!!  I wish you all the luck in the world and do hope you can get some sensible help soon.  Kind regards and good luck, Kathleen

• Posted

thank you Kathleen, I wish it would have been dr perscribed but it is not.  I don't think I want to go through this at my age, he is going to ruin 30-years of reputation as he is self employed.  I am 55 and can't afford to lose the little we have because of his BS choices.

• Posted

Hi Nikki, why does your husband have fentanyl prescribed ? and yes once addicted he will feel like he cannot function without it and it will let him feel "normal" again.

Its good he's in detox but it will only work if he wants to give up fentanyl. If its for pain then he needs an alternative to deal with the pain, or has his pain resolved ?

It's a "wonderful" drug, I was given it by the pallative care team and now having to face coming of it along with Actiq the oral form. This should only be used at End of Life.

• Posted

there is no perscription, he buys it off the street and is playing russian roulette...he thinks cause it hasn't killed him in almost 2 years of abusing is and snorting it that he is "special"  he is ruining our lives, he has completely disengaged from our marriage and has become a bigger ass than he would be normally.  I just can't believe he would do something like this.

• Posted

Hi nikkit, what an awful dilemma for you.  Can't you persuade your husband to go to one of these addiction clinics.  He must feel like hell at times and surely knows this awful drug is not the answer.  All I can do is wish you all the best and hope you can get some help.  Kind regards and good luck, Kathleen

• Posted

Hi Nikkit sorry to hear he buys it. I just hope he wants to stop it otherwise he'll go straight back to it. It is very addictive and does give a feel good factor where its needed just to function. It also I am told by my councillor it numbs emotions so they do not affect you and when you stop you may get a backlash.

How is he doing in rehab is he making any progress in acknowleding his problem? Have you got family to support you ? or are you not telling family?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.