Husband with chronic bronchitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

my husband has been told he has chronic bronchitis after having an xray due to having a prolonged cough. He is a smoker from age of 14 and he is now coming up to 55 this year. the doc says his lung function test was not good it showed he had lungs of a 85 year old. cant weigh it up as he is very active and works very long hours and never gets sob when walking long way or up hills or steps. he has been advised to stop smoking and use a blue inhaler four times a day or when sob. Think we need to go back and ask a few more questions really. i have worked with people with copd in pulmonary rehab and i am aware how this can progress so really hope he cn stop smoking to enable the disease to not progress too much

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi primy, sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis, but yes stopping smoking will be an intelligent move at this time.

Having worked with people with copd in pulmonary rehabilitation you will likely be aware of what is recommended that copd patients can do to preserve their lung health.  Incidentally it was just getting a virus that lead to my diagnosis, a lung infection that lasted 10 months no doubt causing further lung damage during that time.   Best to take all precautions in order to preserve lung health.

• Posted

I didn't have any symptoms except the nagging little cough for many years. I chose to keep smoking for many years after my diagnosis. Now 9 yrs after I quit, my cough is horrific and I sometimes experience sober and tight chest.

This may not happen to your husband or other symptoms might develop. I was 52 when I quit. No matter which kind of COPD he has the sooner he quits cigs the better off you'll both be.

The blue inhaler is albuterol.

• Posted

he is trying to stop be using an ecig which doctor agreed is an idea but still neeeds to come off thiat too at moment he has 5 cigs but hopfully he will cut these out too. yes i do know what happens with copd and have seen people end up on o2 and in hospital too
  • Posted

really think husband is not taking this as serious as he should and when i say anything he just says i am nagging but i really dont want to see him unable to do things when he is older due to his copd
    • Posted

Hi Primy

It is so very hard to watch loved ones neglect their health, isn't it?

Unfortunately, there's not much we can do for them. Sometimes they will hear in their hearts a very simple and clear statement along the lines of I love you dearly and want us to have more good years together with good health and it seems from what we now know about your health that this won't be possible unless we do everything now that the docs are telling us is necessary for your respiratory health.

Chances are no better than 50-50 that that will be listened to, and I doubt they're that good judging from my refusals to listen to that and from knowing so few folks who do.

• Posted

The important thing for you is that you take care of yourself. Specifically this means understanding that our loved and the quality and quantity of it can never make someone else change so don't worry yourself into an ulcer or heart attack or stroke over what you can't control.

On the other hand if he's still smoking that is a serious threat to your health. You have to decide how much of that risk to accept.

My heart goes out to you. Like so many here I've been on both sides of this equation (my out-of-house smoking, his alcoholism).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.