Hydrocele surgery -Read me for fair a thorough review

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello everyone! I just had hydrocele surgery Wednesday morning (29APR15) at 730am.

Background- I am 23 years old, athlete, and weight lifter. I had a hydrocele repair at age 14 it was the inguinal repair. It never fully went away and I think I rushed thehealing process with sports. Over the years of sports and stuff it has not changed in size much more but it was a muticoluar hydrocele, so it was hard and thicked walled and more complicated than a simple hydrocele. It was about 2.5x bigger than the left side and it had a few squishy lumps, no girl or any guy in the shower ever commented on it so it must have not looked too bad haha. Well I finally man'd up and decided to have it fixed. 

Two days prior: called the hospital monday night and they said to get there at 6am wednesday morning!!! I was a train wreck! Believe me when I tell you the worst part of the whole procedure was Tuesday and tuesday night! I went through that surgery 50000 times in my head going through every possible scenario.

Gameday: Got up at 445am and my mom drove me to the hospital, I was actually suprisingly calm and had somewhat accepted my fate. Got to the hospital around 605am signed some papers and put on the gown and laid down in the bed-cart at about 630am. At 7 am some guy wheeled me off and my mom said her good-byes. I was being wheeled into a holding area I think with all the other unlucky victims waiting for ther surgery. I signed more papers, talked to my surgeon, and then the anastesiologist put in the IV. This was kind of crappy cause we all were waiting there with our IVs just waiting to get pulled into the operating room. I had no drugs or anything in me. Finally at about 740 it was my time rolleyes. They wheeled me in the operating room and put in some stuff to make me feel pretty good. I then was told to go onto the operating table, I had about 75% consciousness. they then put a gas mask on me and told me to take 5 breaths, I did that and then they said they were adding some sedative. Next thing I knew I was chatting up the nurse and I think getting on her nerves haha. It was like a mixture of the drugs and euphoria of it being done. Soon after I was wheeled back to my mom, I had to pee and then they took out the IV, no problem with urination. Dont worry boys, no catheter. We finally got discharged at about 1230pm.

Recovery/Pain- Yes, they cut open you sac, it sounds worse than it is. I am on day 3 and only take half doses of the pill so I think I have taken 2 pain pills this whole time. It is very swollen and I think it is deffinitely improving, but I am trying not to look down there cause it does make me kinda sad. Get stool softners ie. mira-lax and plenty of ice. I made that mistake the first surgery. Any questions let me know I will be happy to help, I read some horror reviews here and was terrified so I am letting you know it will be okay and for me pain was very minimal.

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Im curious after your first operation did the dr's tell you that everything was ok or that you would need a second surgery? The reason I ask is I have had 2 surgeries in a span of about 5 months but I am now on my 4th month after my second surgery and my nut is still 2 times the size it should be. I had an ultrasound done 3 and a half months after the 1st surgery as my testicle was still swollen and they said that there was a little fluid that returned so I had a second surgery. Upon waking from the second surgery my dr said that he was surprised as the testicle had very little fluid around it and that my testice was actually that size. Well I explained to him that it wasnt before the hydrocele so how did it "grow" but he had no answer for me. Im going to wait a few more months in hopes maybe it is just residual swelling as the epidytimis is still large as well but if nothing changes I am going to get a second opinion because I have lost faith in this guy.
    • Posted

I had the incision in my abdomen the first time instead of down south. So I do not remember my boys being anywhere near as swollen as they are after this one. However, I do not remember them shrinking much and I went for an ultrasound a few months later and I still had fluid. At this time, I said screw it and went on living life because they had gone down considerably after the 1st surgery. They deemed it successful and they said I didnt wait long enough before I was out doing sports again. I think a second opinion would be wise, I heard it can take up to 6 months for the swelling to 100% subside.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info, yeah my doc said 4 weeks no gym I went back after 2 and 1/2 maybe it slowed recovery down.
  • Posted

Glad you got over your nerves, Mike.  Hospitals can be scary places.  Why do you have swelling already?  You were supposed to have just had that fixed!

Since you're not needing much pain medicine you shouldn't need much stool softener either.  The constipation problem is a side reaction of the pain medicine.

Hope icing helps.  It doesn't for a hydrocele but it does help for the inflamation from the incision.  Good luck, stay well.

• Posted

Thanks yeah I was terrified. Yeah its just really swollen cause they had to cut into the scrotum and it has actually gone down some in the past 2 days. Yep I have not had too many issues with using the bathroom fortunately.

• Posted

Your story makes me feel like I will be able to handle it like you. the antipation is always the worse. Be well, Boces
    • Posted

Glad I can help, let me know if you any questions. You are right scheduling the appointment and waiting is the worst. You will be fine bro.

• Posted

I will try and give periodical updates.....Day4(Saturday)- No pain pills at all today. I am now able to walk slowly, dress, sit down, and lay down with no help and minimal pain. Zero bleeding from the wound and the swelling has decreased. I spend my entire day either at my computer doing work or sitting down, I am still icing it a lot, and sometimes I take everything off when I lay down to let it get some air.
  • Posted

Thankyou for sharing. Its helpful to others. My son who is 19 and elite sportsperson was diagnosed with very large hydrocele 8 weeks ago. Two weeks ago after sourcing a good urologist he had surgery. He was given panadol forte but only used panadol for first 5 days. We avoided shower for 2 days and on third and fourth day had luke warm showers. Fifth day he introduced a bath with a little dettol to clean the wound. Also we bought secure/firm undies (he put a non-stick wound pad next to wound for extra support and to grab any wound debris for 3 days) to support stiches and wore them up till now which is the third week. No need for any ice but replaced panadol with ibuprofen by day 4. We didn't use ibuprofen before then because the of the anaesthetic. Its important to ensure wound doesn't bleed too much and is not infected. It should be more a stinging pain rather than a throbbing pain. Stay off the exercise and lifting for four weeks post but you should check with surgeon for follow up about 2 weeks after surgery. After two weeks and upon seeing surgeon he said my sons testicle is apparently back to normal size but could have had some swelling and bruising still and he should expect testicle to be even smaller in next two weeks. He said he could return to full time sport 4 weeks post surgery. He said the wound had healed perfectly.  Hope this helps anyone who is considering hydrocele surgery. It is important to find a Urologist who has a good reputation and I also think its important to use the anaesthetist that normally would work alongside that urologist. I also think that good diet (no smoking) and lots of OJ (Vit C) to heal wound cant hurt. I'm not an expert but I hope I have helped anyone considering this surgery. A hydrocele is harmless and is just fluid leaking from the abdomen and is caused from either a big knock or it's usually just how you were born. Only very small percentage of hydroceles come back but my son has been told his wont return. Oh yes I bought a rubber ring for my son to sit on and it helped a lot in first 5 days. Just picked up from chemist for around $12.00 AUS. So just thought this might help someone else. 
  • Posted

Thankyou for sharing. Its helpful to others. My son who is 19 and elite sportsperson was diagnosed with very large hydrocele 8 weeks ago. Two weeks ago after sourcing a good urologist he had surgery. He was given panadol forte but only used panadol for first 5 days. We avoided shower for 2 days and on third and fourth day had luke warm showers. Fifth day he introduced a bath with a little dettol to clean the wound. Also we bought secure/firm undies (he put a non-stick wound pad next to wound for extra support and to grab any wound debris for 3 days) to support stiches and wore them up till now which is the third week. No need for any ice but replaced panadol with ibuprofen by day 4. We didn't use ibuprofen before then because the of the anaesthetic. Its important to ensure wound doesn't bleed too much and is not infected. It should be more a stinging pain rather than a throbbing pain. Stay off the exercise and lifting for four weeks post but you should check with surgeon for follow up about 2 weeks after surgery. After two weeks and upon seeing surgeon he said my sons testicle is apparently back to normal size but could have had some swelling and bruising still and he should expect testicle to be even smaller in next two weeks. He said he could return to full time sport 4 weeks post surgery. He said the wound had healed perfectly.  Hope this helps anyone who is considering hydrocele surgery. It is important to find a Urologist who has a good reputation and I also think its important to use the anaesthetist that normally would work alongside that urologist. I also think that good diet (no smoking) and lots of OJ (Vit C) to heal wound cant hurt. I'm not an expert but I hope I have helped anyone considering this surgery. A hydrocele is harmless and is just fluid leaking from the abdomen and is caused from either a big knock or it's usually just how you were born. Only very small percentage of hydroceles come back but my son has been told his wont return. Oh yes I bought a rubber ring for my son to sit on and it helped a lot in first 5 days. Just picked up from chemist for around $12.00 AUS. So just thought this might help someone else. Also used flaxseed oil in milk shakes to loosen stools.
  • Posted

Day 6: (Surgery last Wednesday tos Tuesday).... Scrotum finally starting to resemble a normal ball sack but still large obviously. Everyday swelling noticeably decreases. Very minimal pain and I can finally start walking around without any pain or help. Continuing to ice like nobody's business. I have been sleeping naked every night to let it get some air and to get a break from briefs all day, Im telling you this has made a huge difference. I tried to wear the scrotal support a few times but it was making things much more uncomfortable down there.

• Posted

Day 12: Noticeably better than before surgery. About the size of an egg but decreasing. No pain and stitches are starting to dissolve. I feel like I could do pretty much anything but I am still refraining from any physical activity. Im using hot compresses as well.
  • Posted

Mike,  Congratulations on your sucess! 

Are you in the UK? Did you have a choice of surgeon, or just get assigned to one? I'm in the U.S. I'm having a heck of a time finding a uro / surgeion I am confident in. I do not want the surgery,anyway,  but if I ever do get it done, would like to have "the best" hydrocele surgeon available, if you know what I mean.

I can research the uro's in my area on doctor rating websites, but still don't feel comfortable with any. 

How did you decide which surgeon to use? Or did you just take whoever was on hand? Were all those other guys with the IV's also waiting for hydrocele surgery?

Thanks

• Posted

Thanks!! Both testicles are almost identical now 17 days post op.Im from the US too and had my surgery done in NY, but I basically used the guy the doctors office provided me and he seemed to do an excellent job. Nope all the people that were in the room getting the IVs were other people being prepped for their surgery as well, but of course there was a curtain between us and I couldnt see them.

.Are you getting it done soon? You will be glad you did it.

• Posted

Not getting it done soon, if I can postpone it!  Afraid of the whole ordeal, naturally. If it stays same size, I will live with it.  Still trying to find a uro I'm confident in. So far only my family doctor has examined it. He recommended the urologist group in his hospital, which has 3 urologists. 2 of them have some nasty things written about them on a review website, the third one has nothing but glowing reviews. But the one with the glowing reviews doesn't list hydrocelectomy as one of his practices. I don't even want to phone them up and ask any questions, since that would move me one step closer to the scalpel !  

Good to hear that the surgeon your doc recommended worked out well.

Thanks for posting here and relating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.