Hydrocele surgery recovery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had my surgery 12/28/16.  I am slated to return to work 1/7/17.  I called the docs office yesterday as I'm in severe pain when standing.  Anyone else experience this?

I had a varicocelectomy surgery on the left side in 2010 and again on both sides in 2014.  The hydrocele was on the left as a complication of the second surgery.  

I was told 5-6 days and could go back to work.  Not sure now.  I work 12hr shifts in a hospital and work this sat, sun, mon.  I was told to buy a jock strap which I will but still.  When standing my lower left abdomen and left thigh hurt so bad.  I know the cord runs up into the abdomen but still.  Laying down I feel virtually nothing at all.

Anyone else have a similar experience?  Thanks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Probably because of the blood flow and lymphatic fluid, I felt pain for a good 10 days and was told to pretty much not do anything for that amount of time. I'm about 5 weeks out on my 3rd hydrocele surgery and I get a tugging feeling from where they stitched the testicle to the inside of the scrotum and it's still pretty swollen.

• Posted

I would agree with 3patsfan5777, and your own assessment above. Hopefully they'll subside after another 14 days.

However, these are the symptoms I have (3 years post op) that have become chronic. You can see my posts/forum on this site as well. In my case the surgeon nicked a blood vessel and nerve to my right testicle. Hopefully this isn't the case with you.

Keep us posted. I'll be interested to know if your pain subsides or becomes chronic. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Hang in there dude.

• Posted

Did you do anything about the fact that the surgeon nicked a blood vessel and nerve out of curiosity? I had a 3rd hydrocelectomy done about a month ago as my testicle was still about the size of an egg 2 years after the second one. When I woke from the procedure the doc said I didn't have a hydrocele even though I had an ultrasound done so he did nothing. However my testicle is still swollen to the size of a racquet ball and is quite firm 5 weeks later which makes no sense if he didn't actually do anything to it. I am do to see him at the end of this month but at this point I am NOT happy I wasn't please with the size before the 3rd "procedure" but now I am extremely upset about the sizevent and can't remember if it was this badly swollen this late after my second.

• Posted

After my hydrocelectomy, I had a lot of pain in my scrotum when standing and none when laying down. Mine felt like someone kicking me in my balls over and over. My doctor had told me that after the operation I could not lift anything heavy (meaning over 10 lbs!?) for 2 weeks, Since my job is very active and involves constant lifting, I took a total of 11-12 days to recover. It was a good thing I did, because like you, I was unable to even stand for more than 2 or 3 minutes. 

My hydrocele was also more extensive than most, so there was more internal scar tissue and thus more pain. Mine was on the left side as well and was a "communicating hydrocele," meaning it had started to enlarge into my lower abdomen. It was approx 1/2 litre of liquid. I also wore a jockstrap for about 2-3 weeks, but I was told this was to keep the swelling in check. It never did anything for my pain.

I'm not a fan of prescription drugs, but was prescribed both a pain killer and an anti-inflammatory. I tried a couple of times with each and didn't like the overall effects, but of the two, the anti-inflammatory seemed to do the best without totally spacing me out. 

it does get better. My pain was completely gone during the third week. I was told the swelling would take 2-3 months to fully go down, so I have another month, but it is almost completely "normal."

Best of luck!

• Posted

Thanks everyone for the comments.  Guess there is a light at the end of this painful tunnel.  This surgery is more painful than either of my varicocele surgeries.  I'm not a wuss when it comes to pain (had brain surgery) but when it comes to the groin....I give lol.  

When i I feel my left sac/testicle it feels hard inside...this normal.  I also hear everyone talking about stapling testicle to sac...that normal too?

• Posted

5 weeks post surgery my testicle is still swollen and very firm abd yes they stitch it to the inside of the scrotum but it loosens over time.
    • Posted

Ty.  Was wondering as my left testi is more forward than the other now.  That and swelling
    • Posted

I guess they do it to help prevent it from filling up with fluid again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.