Hydrocelectomy experience 5 days post op

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi guys, just thought I'd share my hydrocelectomy experience with all you guys and hopefully shed some light on what it is like.

I'm 15 years old. During a regular check up with our paediatrician he noticed that I had a hydrocele. I hadn't noticed this at all, and infact thought that the other testicle was underdeveloped and that one was normal size (stupid me.) He booked me in for an ultrasound that afternoon to check that the testicle was normal and that it was in fact a hydrodele. They confirmed a right hydrocele, roughly the size (maybe bigger of an egg.) They said wait 3 months and see if it goes away. It didn't.

I was referred to a urologist. After he met us he explained the procedure and told us that he once had a guy with this problem who only came to him after he couldn't put his pants on anymore which I thought was crazy!

Fast forward to last week. Arrived at the hospital at 6:45 am, met with the anesthesiogist who asked some questions, then got changed into the hospital clothes, walked into the OR and they put me under.

Awoke in the operating room with a bit of pain. They gave me a gram of panadol and a Fentanyl tablet, which made my face pretty itchy but the doc said it was normal. After a while I was wheeled into the hospital room where I stayed that night. Sleep did not come easy because sleeping on my stomach or side wasn't an option, so I uncomfortably slept on my back and got awoken by nurses at about 5 am to check my blood pressure, etc.

Met with the urologist that morning who said that the operation went fantastically and to meet him in 2-3 weeks time and I could remove the dressings and shower.

Walking out the hospital was quite hard due to the swelling. Had to kind of spread my legs a bit and walk cowboy style which sucks.

Now 5 days post op my walking is improving. Swelling is worse than the initial hydrocele but that's okay.

In terms of medicine I am on a course of antibiotics which I am supposed to take 3 times a day with meals. For the first 2 days I took 2 panadol tablets every 6 hours but now I don't really need it.

Unfortunately the antibiotics gave me a... Yeast infection... So I have to rub cream on.. It 3 times a day as well as take a probiotic tablet (inner health plus).

Would I say this surgery is worth it? Right now.. Not really. I am having way more difficulty walking now than I did pre op but I am sure I will improve.

Please tell me if your experience was similiar or if you have any questions please don't hesitate and I will answer them as soon as I can.

Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

**ADDED** you are going to want some kind of stool softeners after surgery because the pain medication can cause constipation and pushing your poop out hurts after the surgery.

Also, my scrotum was not bruised at all post op, and the scar is about 2 inches long I'd guess.

• Posted

Hi Tyler 

C, UK 26, I also went under the knife for a hydrocelectomy four days ago, and walked a little futher than I should have today. This morning I felt better and walking wasn't such an issue so I attempted a gallery - then had to limp to the bus, like a cowboy. 

I had a hydrocel for a number of year, which very slowly go bigger till I was in frequent pain. About 4-5 months ago I had it drained in the hope that it wouldn’t come back (measured 300ml!!)

The Op apparently went well although I was pretty sick after the aesthetic. Day 1 walking & eating weren’t great and the pain killers gave me the shakes, generally made me feel like I was on another planet - not helpful, but effective. 

the walking got better and the swelling went down so by day 4 (today) I tried a little more - which was a little too much. The swelling is larger than this morning and hard - all the bruising is visible too. I have read up on this and all of this is pretty normal - the swelling should go down in a few weeks. Walking helps as it encourages blood flow to the area, breaking down blood clots, if any. Walk a little further each day - just not as far a I did! 

Sounds like we’re going about this at the same time. Don’t worry, just rest up, stay hydrated and you should heal fine, the worst is behind you. 

I’ll keep an eye on this thread, let me know how you get on. 

Best 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply!

Yesterday was the first time I was able to walk around properly and I even went to the shops. I am finally off antibiotics.

Were you on painkillers after the operation? If so you know what they were?

• Posted

Hey man, I'm 18 and I just had hydrocele 4 days ago. I do have a few questions, curious to see how other's experiences are with this.

How much swelling has occurred for you? Has swelling changed for you at all? Also, have you experienced any bruising at all?

Personally, my swelling is scary large, like the size of a softball of something. And I have a lot of purplish bruising. My pain isn't all that bad provided I ice it for a solid time.

Also, I can totally relate to the hatred of sleeping on your back haha! It's almost 4am where I am right now and I'm researching this because I can't sleep.

• Posted

*I just had a hydrocele surgery 4 days ago. Oops.
    • Posted

Hi,

Yes, I have a lot of swelling - of similar size, but today this has shrunk dramatically - 6 days post op now. Unfortunately for me the end of my scar looks a little infected (keeping it clean and dry now!)

Bruising! Of course, I was a little purply for a while - just remember what's happened, it will take a few days for your body to recover from this.

And yes, sleeping on your back sucks.

All the best mate, hope a speedy recovery for both of you!

• Posted

Thanks for replying!

So for me swelling seemed to increase for about 3 days and was impossible for me to walk properly. Definately larger than the original hydrocele which caused me no walking problems whatsoever. Now I can basically walk 100% normal.

I never experienced any bruising nor did I use an ice pack.

Just out of curiosity did you have a drain tube? I did not.

• Posted

I did not have a drain tube put in, personally.

It has been 5 days since surgery and my swelling has yet to get any smaller, and walking is pretty hard.

• Posted

Hi Tyler, 

I'm doing fine thank you, everything redused in swelling about a week after we last spoke and it has continued to do so - the difference is remarkable! 

I have a few hard lumps but understand that this is where they had to tie off or sew up the membrain thats left. I have my appointent back at the hospital in a few weeks then that should be finished with! 

How are you getting on?

• Posted

Glad to hear your walking again, my walking has been up an down each day and is only 60-70% right now. On the plus side my stitches are looking fine now.

I've not had any drains put in and wasn't aware people had them

I'm still waiting for the swelling to go down though, but know this could be another week or so. How's your swelling, has it decreased much?

• Posted

My swelling has decreased a little bit. At it's maximum I would say it was the size of a goose egg and now it's about the same size as the original hydrocel itself. The swelling is quite hard.

How is your swelling?

• Posted

Oh one thing I forgot to add is the main reason walking was so uncomfortable for me was that the swelling went between my legs so when I tried to stand with my legs together it would squeeze that part. Very uncomfortable.
  • Posted

I just came across your post. My experience is a bit different. I'm 43 so i guess whats happening to me is common for men my age. I got an infection of my epidiymitits. First round of antibiotics didnt do anything. Went back to my doctor and he switched my antibiotic. Three weeks later the infection is mostly gone. I was sent for a ultrasound and was told i have hydroceles on both sides. No cancer. Which is good news. The right side has been bothering me. Mild pain and discomfort. My doctor has recommended me to see a urologist. And yes sleeping on your back is very uncomfortable. How long did it take for you to get back to normal?

• Posted

Hey Tyler. Yeah i had a bilateral (both sides) hydrocelctomy done. My symptoms sound dimilar to yours, but being both that were a bit larger than an egg. They didnt bother me at all, but the doctor and urologist recommended that I get the surgery done, so being a 21 year old who didnt have much experience, I decided to go forth with the surgery. It has caused me immense discomfort.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.