Hydrocelectomy experience and recovery

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am currently in recovery for a hydrocelectomy I had 8 days ago. I read a lot about the procedure and comments/experiences from former patients. My experience was more intense than most of the accounts I found. The surgery itself went well. I had a great team of doctors and nurses that made everything go smoothly (which was greatly appreciated as this my first sugery.) My hydrocele was on my left side and about the size of a grapefruit (it had started 10 years ago.) That night I was tired and somewhat swollen, but felt OK. It wasn't until the next day that the bruising started to appear and within 48 hours, my mid-section was a sea of black and purple. It was very alarming, because no one mentioned this in my recovery instructions or what to expect. It didn't start to get really painful until the 3rd or 4th day. While lying down, the pain is almost non-existent, but standing for longer than a few minutes feels like someone kicking me in my balls over and over again. The worst is during the morning when I have a bowel movement. When my bowel is full or I have gas (flatulence) the pressure from behind makes the pain more intense and is really intense. (BTW My bowel movements have been normal and pass with general ease.) I have taken prescribed pain killers twice and they work very well, but I really can't function on them. I make a point of getting up and moving around even though it can be painful, because it only makes sense to. Just can't wait for the pain to go away as I have a very active life/job and I can't stand lying around.

I would like to hear from others with any similar experiences or suggestions. As I stated, the majority of accounts I had read before surgery never alluded to what I experienced. Thanks

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

After a week I did not need painkillers. I would say the pain is at its max the first night. Yes after 2 days the sac and the skin will be swollen and is blue/red/black. Even my penis got swollen and got red. 

My initial swelling went away after a week. But then there is the "post swelling" where the skin looks normal. I think if you have pain after 8 days you should contact the hospital and talk to the surgeon. The pain has to get  less with time not more. Have you talked to the surgeon? 

• Posted

I actually had my follow-up this morning and my procedure was explained in more detail. Post-surgery, i was told it was "more extensive" than anticipated, but today I got the whole story. The top part of my hydrocele had started to move up into my abdomen, so after the sac was removed they had to go up into that area and turn the tissue inside-out and then sutured. So, this all added up to more swelling, more pain and a longer recovery, because it was not a "standard" hydrocele. They removed a 1/2 litre of liquid! They said everything looked good and was healing. I was also prescribed an anti-inflammatory that works without all the druggy effects of the pain killers. So, I feel a lot better about everything now that I've been examined and got more detailed info.

Thanks a lot for responding!

• Posted

I had one litre removed [one kilo in weight] and had pain for around 2 weeks same as you when laying down no pain walking around some pain but after that all good with very little swelling. A little loose skin but I have no issues with that..I had to wait 3 years for surgery [waiting list] but I'm glad it's all behind me.... you'll be fine in a couple of weeks

• Posted

A litre--holy smokes! Your kind of exprience is not the usual kind you run across on discussion boards, so I'm glad you responded. It is slowly getting better, but I'm not the most patient person. Thanks!

• Posted

Jesus bloody Christ!! My plums are killing me... had the op Tuesday 22 just gone. Thought when I got home this is not so bad.. until yesterday around 4pm..

my balls look like red cabbage ... I'm walking around like I have a melon up my bum!!!! My dong is black ,, an looks like a

Melted wall nut whip( excuse the pun)

See what you mean about the gas mate!!

Was walking around yesterday.. but bugger that today.. in bed legs wide .. with a frown like someone has put my balls in a vice an tried to make them hansel nut size....

Great!!! Gone through a lot of this site... reading an empathetic to all the brothers in the same boat.. an it comes across like.. what I'm going through... you all have.

Best thing to do.. get a week under your belt..( not too low) hope there is no infections.. an take things easy..

A good thing which I'm doing at mo..

Is peeing down a 3inch x5 inch plastic pipe.. stops dribbles down the plums.. goes straight into loo... nice(thanks dad)

Really hurts today .. was the size of a grapefruit.. smaller now thank god!!

Good luck everyone...

what a ball this is.

Remember.. it's worth it !!!??

• Posted

It DOES get better. I'm now two weeks into recovery and it's greatly improved. And yes, intially eveything in that region was black and purple, but it's almost gone now. Drink a lot of water, est a lot of fiber to keep things moving, and keep it clean. Good Luck!

• Posted

sir plz reply what is your age.

And how many days will it take to recover from hydrocile surgury and doing regular things like jogging,playing etc.

sir i have a active job and it is very necessary for me to know this.

which country do you belong to..

i am from INDIA.

• Posted

I am 54 and in US. The recovery time depends on how extensive the surgery is. Mine was a "communicating" hydrocele, meaning it had started to move into my abdomen, so my surgery was more extensive than the standard hydrocele. I aslo have an active job, so I understand your concern. For me, it took a good 10-12 days before I really started to feel like my old self, but again, my surgery was more extensive. I have read other people's experiences and some were feeling well enough in 3-5 days, some a little longer-- like a week. I was also told by my surgeon that the swelling takes a while to subside. Mine is going down gradually, but it will take a couple of months to get back to regular size. Again, I have read where some people's swelling went down faster.

They removed a half litre of liquid when I had mine done, but another poster here told me his was a whole litre! 

The worst part of it is the first days after sugery because you're sore, swollen, and bruised, but it does gradually get better.

Good luck!

• Posted

I just had my hydrocele surgery on Monday. I was doing well, but two days later I have no pain at all, but my scrotum and penis are swollen. I am also finding it difficult to urinate and my feet are swollen. I'm just trying to take it easy... any other recommendations???

• Posted

If the sac and penis are swollen after two dags I think it is normal. The skin af my sac and penis were also blue/black. After a week it will go away I think. 

I don't know about unirating problems and swollen feet, since I did not have these problems. Did you have these problems before the surgery? And how old are you? 

• Posted

I didn't have the swelling prior and I had no problems urinating. I was also fine right after the surgery. The swelling really started last night in the testicles and penis. I sat in one position all night to be comfortable so I am hoping that's the reason my feet are swollen and the trouble urinating is from the testicular and scrotal swelling. How long was it before swelling went down?

• Posted

My swelling with the sac and penis were worst on the third day and after I week both the swelling from the penis and sac were almodt gone. But there is also a post "skin swelling" where the testicle does not come back to normal size after the swelling on the skin is gone. This swelling can take three months to go away. You can always contact your surgeon if you have the opportunity. But the good thing is that you are not having a bleeding or infection I think.  

• Posted

I have been lying low and walking a small amount around the house and placing ice bag on area. I guess it is just time that makes the swelling go away? Any other recommendations??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.