Hydrocortisone cream to treat eczema

Posted , 7 users are following.

Quick question:

has anyone ever used Hydrocortisone cream to treat eczema or psoriasis? If yes, did it really help the painful symptoms which come with such conditions?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I do not know about psoriasis, it works for excema. Hydrocortisone is a milder version of the steroids creams used by doctors. Hence it would be the alst reource of the over the counter medications.
  • Posted

Is month two of tsw worse than one I've had a flare for weeks its not getting better

• Posted

i havent tried hydrocortisone cream because its not sold here in our place.. but i am suffering of gutate psoriasis, and triderm works well for me.. it starts to disapper .. if quadriderm is available their in your country.. it is better than triderm
  • Posted

hi .. i just rcently suffered with a guttate psoriasis.. . it really brought my confidence down and its spreading all over my body .. i went to check ups with different doctors but all of the medications dont show any progress, and i decided to do my own research ... . and luckily, its fading .. i am using triderm , if quadriderm is available in your country .. the better . it is very effective .. .
  • Posted

I didn't find prior posts from you to know more about your question. But here is my story and experience from what my 17 yo son went through and the light at the end of the tunnel:

​He started having flare ups back in November of last year. The doctor put him on hydrochortizone 2.5%. No change. The eczema started spreading so much he wasn't sleeping at all and scratching and getting depressed by the extreme discomfort. I took him to a dermatologist and she put him on topical steroid Betamethasone of certain variety which cleared the skin almost completely after 2 weeks. We danced to the victory music way too soon. After weeks, it came back with terrible force, and within a month his skin was burnt and peeling. Pain added to itching. She increased the frequency of the application and after 3 months, he was in hell. I took him to another doctor referred by a friend whose child had had similar experience.

​The doctor was cringing at the site of the wounds. It had spread to all over the body and even the groin area was peeling. Imagine the pain. He put him on the following plan:

​2 weeks of daily Claritan D for itching, milder topical steroid to manage the withdrawal, oral steroids for six days only to manage the eczema and the withdrawal without causing skin reaction, Elidel a non-steroidal topical cream twice a day to stop the eczema without the side effects of steroids. He said he only prescribed Elidel to his patients. Never let any patient use steroid cream for longer than two weeks. EVER.

​The itching decreased after three days. In four weeks the skin everywhere has healed with minimal signs of skin discoloration from past condition. He still monitors every 2 weeks. Ask your doctor about Elidel. Some very limited study shows possible link to cancer. I read the entire study which I foud onlne after much digging. A handful of patients used it for 5 years, and at the end of the study, 3 people each had different types of cancer. They did no study to see if that was caused by family history or any other reason, including Elidel. They just posted the results and FDA demanded that to be included in Black Box warning. That was such a vague and BS study, I was not uncomfortable with the use of Elidel. Steroids have much more severe side effects and doctors don't seem to give a hoot. I am determined to post this experience everywhere I can to discourage people from long term use of steroids and the horrific pain and suffering caused by them. You will see former users of steroids cautioning others about the withdrawal symptoms everywhere. I ased the doctor what he would consider to be "long term use" of steroids. He said 2 months. Some people have used it for years. Go online and search for pictures. They all look like monsters. They wen through hell and back for at least a year to recover from the withdrawal. They had to give up work, live in seclusion, and deal with horrible stress and pain. Sorry about the long post. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.