Hydrodylitation

Posted , 11 users are following.

after surgery in December to repair a rotator cuff repair I now have a frozen shoulder. It's so painful. In 2 weeks I'm having Hydrodylitation on it. Has anyone had this done? How painful is the procedure and how successful is it?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Tracey , 

sorry I haven't but interested in your rotator cuff repair, could you tell me more please.

did you experience strong shooting pains, weakness and lack of movement, it's just I have had a scan today and he asked what my profession was also said there was something going on in my shoulder

• Posted

Could you please share your experience ? 
    • Posted

Hi Eve. My shoulder started to ache last year. I do a very heavy manual job lifting from all heights. The pain was deep in my shoulder and also travelled down my arm. My movement was extremely restricted. On being referred to a physio he said straight away it was a torn cuff. After having a scan it was clear to see. Resulting in surgery in December. My recovery has been extremely painful. Now resulting in a frozen shoulder. Apparently this often happens after surgery on a shoulder. Just hoping the Hydrodylitation works. I haven't slept through the night since my operation in December. My pain now is by far worse than before surgery.
    • Posted

Omg , I feel for you. 

I am dreading what they are going to tell me when I see then next, as I have always believed it's rotary damage, and it's gone into a frozen shoulder as a result. It's awful isn't it, I just want to go swimming and enjoy life and not be in agony. I'm sorry it hasn't gone brilliant but I hope it will soon get better x 

• Posted

We went to the Maldives in February. Really thought my shoulder would be better by then. Had op on dec18th. Travelled in my sling and slept in it most nights.  Lovely. Really took the shine off of the holiday. Struggled to swim. Snorkel. I was kindly given a floatation vest that helped. Going back next February. I do hope it's better by then x
    • Posted

Yep, did the same at easter, didn't want to talk to family as I was tired in pain and really didn't feel like a holiday, I felt sorry for my hubby and daughter as normally I'm off diving snorkelling etc but couldn't even throw a bloomin ball to my daughter in the pool x
  • Posted

Hi Tracy,

I had surgery in December also for a bicep reattachment and repair. I had a painful recovery as well and recently was diagnosed with Frozen Shoulder.

I questioned myself constantly about what I did wrong to still be in so much agonizing pain. This diagnosis was an odd relief to at least help be feel it was real. Docs and therapists kept saying "you shouldn't be in pain" after the surgery. Ugh!

I am curious about treatments such as hydrodilation. I am hoping this helps you if it's the route you choose.

So far my steroid shot hasn't helped.

So maybe I need to pursue this treatment.

Warm thoughts your way

Pollypocketmom

• Posted

I must admit when my physio said it was a FS. I was also relieved that there was a reason I was in so much pain. He said no amount of physio would help me at the stage it now is. I can't believe how painful it is. I had my post op app with my surgeon and he totally agreed with my physio. So in 2 weeks time I will have had Hydro procedure done. I so hope it helps I have such limited movement in my left shoulder. It is so difficult to drive. Change gear. Look it up online see what you think. Tracey

• Posted

Hi Tracey. I had Hydro in February 2014 and had been `freezing` since september`13. I `spoke` to a few people who had had the proceedure before I consented and almost all said it was a bit uncomfortable but the pain was only momentary and the effects immediate. The proceedure is done under xray using local anaesthetic, then a needle (syringe) is pushed into the joint capsule and saline and cortisone injected slowly into the capsule, the idea being it forces the lesions away from the joint thus freeing the shoulder. This is then followed by regular but not violent physio. Unfortunately in my case, the capsule was so tight the pain was, shall we say, more than a little uncomfortable and I could not stand it for too long so the surgeon was not able to inject a lot of fluid. However, within 10 minutes I had more movement in my shoulder joint and the follow up physio helped further although I still had some of the bicep pain. My FS definately improved quickly after the proceedure but i`m afraid if I had to do it again I would probably not. Sorry if I appear a bit negative but all proceedures have their pro`s and cons. I wish you the very best of luck with yours.
    • Posted

Ooh ouch!!😞 I have read the leaflet explaining procedure. Doesn't sound very nice. My surgeon has given me a prescription for temazepam to take before I have it done. To relax me 😁 he also said take plenty of painkillers before too. Something I've been doing for months. It's a wonder I don't rattle. Nothing seems to take the pain away 
    • Posted

Eesh! Tell me about it. I had Neproxen, Ibuprofen and paracetamol to start with then took Tramadol when it was so bad I couldn`t sleep (knocked me out for a lovely few hours lol). I`d forgotten that bit and took the Neproxen before my hydro - for all the good it did. Don`t be put off just because I didn`t like it, as I said my FS improved quickly after and that drop on the floor pain definately disappeared which was a godsend. xx
  • Posted

First off, I feel your pain and can only say that it will end.  I had what was called a theraputic arthrogram.  (An Xray tech injected dye into the shoulder to see things better, then cortesone and finally put air to the rotator cuff and joint to separate things)  I think this is similar to because the dye and cortesone would have had a similar effect.  This was supposed to give immediate range of motion... it did not.. however within an hour of the proceedure on my left side the pain was gone... I only felt restriction of movement after that.  It was my 5th cortesone shot... and I found the Docs that put the needle in the arm at the shoulder (from the side) did nothing.  Injections from either my back or front worked well to provide pain relief for about a month.  I must add that I tried all therapys on my left side which was the worst pain and lasted the longest... almost 2 years. (physio, chiro, massage, lazer, ultrasound, acupuncture... all made the pain worse and did nothing for range of motion)
    • Posted

You say lasted two years , can I ask if you are back to normal now and pain free?
    • Posted

Hi Eve... I would say Im reasonably back to normal.  I have about 98% range of motion in both shoulders.. and basically pain free.  I cannot yet sleep on my right shoulder and I find I get achy if I carry something heavy or use it too much... like doing all my windows in one day. I find the biggest issue is fear that it is going to come back.
    • Posted

Thank you Heather that's helpful to know. It almost as bad as having a baby 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.