Hydrophillic Caths

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just started with hydrophillics, but it sure seems like within a min. or two, it's hard to get in because the hydrophillic coating is getting dry and sticky already. Does that happen? I don't want to touch it to find out, but i can tell by how difficult it quickly becomes pushing it in.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Are you following the directions? Some have to be left for x minutes or shaken,  etc. 

That said, it's happened to me a few times but never with Coloplast's Speedicath Hyrophillic. Good to experiment in beginning with different brands to see what works best for you.

Jim

• Posted

Patin, I had that problem with "Brand X," the pop-the-water-bag variety I tried before SpeediCaths.  The activation was incomplete and not always predictable.  Like JimJames, I have never had such problems with SpeediCaths.

What brand did you get?

• Posted

give the coloplast speedicath compact male catheters a try    they are so much better
    • Posted

How is the price/unit, compared with the regualr SpeediCaths( with which I have never had any problems)?
    • Posted

Never used the coloplast compact mail but two points: (1) They don't come with a coude tip, so if that is what you were prescribed, this is not the right catheter for you; (2) My feeling talking with one of the company's reps is that this is not a "beginner's" cath. By that I mean in order to get the catheter to telescope into a compact form, all sections are not the same width (FR). So, if you are prescribed a 14F, the largest section of the compact may be as big as 18F. 

That said, we are all different, and what works best for one does not necessarily work best for someone else. That's why I recommend trying out different styles, brands and sizes in the beginning. But if your prostate or urethra requires a coude tip, then you need to find one with a coude tip. 

My favorite is Speedicath from Coloplast. Not compact, but it does come with a coude tip and for me goes in the easiest. Several others here have also recommended this same catheter.

Jim

• Posted

You and JimJames shouldproba bly give it a try and report back to us on your experience.  I think you'll find that it's the best out there.  I was actually prescribed coude yet this one works even much better.  No further lube necessary.  Also, the part that goes through the tight spots is 12FR ; only the lower half is 18FR (to guide the upper 12FR part0.  Really much better.  My 10% share for 120 was $52.
    • Posted

To be honest, I'd be scared to try a catheter without a coude tip which was prescribed because of the size of my prostate. I am very sensitive to trauma (nicks, etc), to the extent that I develop a uti just looking at a cystoscope biggrin 

Seriously, the last time I was experimenting with catheters, I got nicked a couple of times going around the prostate and developed a UTI.  No nicks and UTI's in well over a year with the Speedicath.

The other thing is that the way I see it, the main advantage of the compact is easy and discreet transport when you are out of the house. I rarely need to CIC during the day and haven't taken a catheter out of the house for probably close to  a year. 

Perhaps they will develop one with a coude tip. I might then give it a try. 

PS When you say "lower half", do you literally mean "half"? My Speedicath goes in to within an inch or so of the funnel end, so if half of the catheter is 18F, that would be a lot of 18F going in. Also, when you say "no further lube necessary", that is true with all hydrophillics, like the Speedicath. I assume you have tried the Speedicath? Comes in coude or without coude tip. 

Jim

• Posted

I was able to get these for nothing.

i had tried the sample speedicaths and i DID like them better.

• Posted

Hi Jim.  No nicks at all with the speedicath compact.  That is one of the best things about it.  I, too, had nicks with the others.  The tip is a little rounded smooth ball that really allows it to glide smoothly.  You may want to try a sample and see what you think.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Patindaytona, you got them for nothing?  Great!  Seems you got what you paid for!  :-P  No offense, but I've leaned to spend $$$ where necessary---especially when it's that up-close-and-personal!
    • Posted

Hi Arlington,

Regarding trying the Coloplast Compact Male. 

At least here in the states, not so easy. Apparently, the compact male is classified as a "closed system" (bag included) even though the bag is not attached in one version. This means that Medicare and many private insurers will not pay for it unless you can document two UTI's within the past x months including positive cultures and corresponding symptons. Furthermore, even if you can get the documentation, apparently once you are classified for a closed system, you then cannot receive a non-closed system catheter. So, in my case for example, that would mean if I was able to get the documentation and did order the compacts, I would no longer be able to order my regular speedicaths. This would be unacceptable to me because the plan would be to use the Speedicaths at home and only use the compacts when out of the house, assuming I liked them.

Good news is that according to Coloplast, as coude version is in the works for possible later this year. Coude's have their own insurance classification and therefore likely that the forthcoming coude compact would not only be covered by Medicare but also could be mixed with my Speedicaths.  

At that point, I will definitely try the coude compact.

Jim

• Posted

I'll check the brand later..i do know it's a crappy brand though...

but culd i still use lube on it also?

• Posted

When I propose a less-than-professional way to solve a problem while working on my Victorian pile of a house, my friend, Master Cabinetmaker Craig, says:  "Well, yes, you COULD do it that way..."  while his eyes say, "...but I would do it the RIGHT way, myself..."   You could probably also get a drinking straw from McDonald's, lube it and get it up there, but... I'm wagering you would have much better results all around by getting quality catheters, and PRONTO!    Just my humble opinion... 
    • Posted

I suppose you could experiment with external lube on a hydrophillic, but personally I wouldn't do the experiment in my urethra in case it didn't work out! Better would be to try another brand like Speedicath. Your catheter supplier should swap out what you have for what you want. Mine did when I ordered ones I wasn't happy with. Meanwhile, why don't you try and contact the manufacturer or distributor and talk to them. It's possible, you're either not following instructions correctly and/or they have some additional suggestions on how to get the coating activated better. 

Jim

• Posted

Teleflex   Flowcath Quick      is what i see on the packing.

I remember asking for Speedicaths to the rep, but somehow it turned into this real fast..don't remember what happened, but i think they just didn't have them. My CHEAP insurance plan only allows me to get them from that one company, no other.

• Posted

speedicath compact's do cost a bit more   i had to ask the company to find a different distributor who would file a claim with aetna    well worth it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.