Hydrostatic distension - hydrodilation?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Has anyone tried hydrostatic distention? Simon Moyes at Wellington hospital in London has indicated this procedure provides excellent results. Two 15 min treatments two weeks apart. Google Simon Moyes Frozen shoulder for links. Very interested if anyone has undergone this type of procedure and what the results have been.

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I had hydrodilitation for my FS and it wasn't terribly successful as my shoulder was too tight and they couldn't get much fluid in. And it hurt like stink!!!!! I have spoken to people that it worked brilliantly for. A second treatment was never mentioned, is it a different treatment?
  • Posted

I've been offered it so am now on the waiting list.  I've looked it up on-line, and here's the result of one research paper:

Results

A total of 53 patients (23 with primary and 30 with secondary glenohumeral contractures) were recruited into the study. At the 2‐year follow‐up, 12 patients dropped out from the study. At baseline, the two contracture groups were similar with respect to their demographic and physical characteristics. The two groups of patients recovered in a similar fashion over the 2‐year follow‐up period. A significant improvement was observed in all outcomes measures over this period (p<0.01), so that both function and range of movement increased. the rate of improvement was dependent on the outcome measure that was used.

conclusions

hydrodilatation and physiotherapy increase shoulder motion in individuals with primary and secondary glenohumeral joint contracture associated with rotator cuff pathology. this benefit continues to improve or is maintained in the long term, up to 2 years after hydrodilatation.

good luck! so="" that="" both="" function="" and="" range="" of="" movement="" increased.="" the="" rate="" of="" improvement="" was="" dependent="" on="" the="" outcome="" measure="" that="" was="" used.="" conclusions="" hydrodilatation="" and="" physiotherapy="" increase="" shoulder="" motion="" in="" individuals="" with="" primary="" and="" secondary="" glenohumeral="" joint="" contracture="" associated="" with="" rotator="" cuff="" pathology.="" this="" benefit="" continues="" to="" improve="" or="" is="" maintained="" in="" the="" long="" term,="" up="" to="" 2 years="" after="" hydrodilatation.="" good="">

conclusions

hydrodilatation and physiotherapy increase shoulder motion in individuals with primary and secondary glenohumeral joint contracture associated with rotator cuff pathology. this benefit continues to improve or is maintained in the long term, up to 2 years after hydrodilatation.

good luck!>

• Posted

Thanks FSresearcher. Do you know how long (waiting list) it will be for you to receive the procedure?
    • Posted

I've been told it's a month wait. We will see! I expect I might need to chase them up 😀
  • Posted

I know I'm late in replying to this thread but thought I'd share my experience.   I found this thread as I was looking for info to refer to a colleague at my golf club for evidence.  I had severe FS two years ago and was facing the prospect of giving up golf and being miserable as sin.  Found Simon Moyes via the Internet and decided it was worth the risk, as surgery or manipulation under anasthesia seemed a bad idea.  For me this was literally a miracle cure.  One Sunday I could barely pick up a golf club, and certainly couldn't swing it.  One week later (after the first of two treatments) I was knocking the cover off golf balls on the range to my hearts content.  Full range of motion took a while longer to get back, but pain was gone overnight.

i know it won't work for everybody (nothing does) but this was a revelation.  Two years on from my treatment I continue to be completely recovered with no ill effects of any kind.  It's a real shame there are no NHS consultants offering this as it would save a fortune in treatment cost for the health trusts, but it was money well spent for me!

• Posted

I had my hydrodilatation done just over 6 months ago now - one treatment, not two.  For me it has also been a success - the procedure wasn't painful and though I didn't get movement back immediately, I was without pain after 2 days and have remained so.  Over the last 6 months my movements have returned gradually and I'm probably about 85% back to normal.  

I went privately via my husband's BUPA membership but I know the consultant I went to does also have some NHS clinincs but don't know how easy it would be to get to him via that route.  You can find him by Googling "Wilmslow shoulder doctor" - he also claims very good results for hydrodilatation.

• Posted

Hi there I have this procedure scheduled for tomorrow morning and feel a little freaked out at the thought of it. Could you talk me through what happened and was the pain tolerable? I'm having mine privately st spires

• Posted

I documented my experience more fully on another thread - you'll find that if you click on my name.  This is what happened to me:

I was told not to drive, so my daughter drove me to the hospital where I was to have the procedure.  I was very nervous but the procedure itself went well and took 15-20 minutes in total.  I'd worn a vest top, which meant I didn't need to wear a gown and just dropped my straps off my bad shoulder.  I was asked to lie on my front, with a pillow for support.  I'd thought the procedure was done via x-ray guidance but it was in fact ultrasound guided.  The doctor explained what was about to happen and did an initial scan of my shoulder area before giving me a local anaesthetic.  He then put in the needle for the hydrodilatation, which administered first some cortisone and then saline.  He said I might feel some pushing and to let him know if it became painful.  There was some discomfort but I wouldn't describe it as painful and within a few minutes, he said the saline had started to leak out of the joint and the procedure was over.  He did another scan and checked my movement before and after - there was perhaps a couple of degrees improvement but nothing drastic.  I left the hospital with a plaster on my shoulder and feeling fine.  He said I might experience a bit of aching once the local anaesthetic wears off but the cortisone should kick in within a day or two and should improve things pain-wise.

I had some aching when the local anaesthetic wore off but nothing too drastic, just a mild ache.  This has gradually worn off over the next couple of days.  After that I had just an odd slight twinge on certain movements and if I tried to push too far beyond my range but it didn't hurt at all at rest and I could even lie on that side - for a short time at least.

The physio (visited a few days later) seemed to think I had gained a bit more movement since my previous visit.  I told him that from my perspective, lack of pain was most important and I was happy to regain my movement slowly. He checked me out and did a bit of minor manipulation but basically said it was up to me from now.  He was happy for me to carry on with the excercises at home and only need to go back to him if I had problems - which I haven't.

That was back in December - I would say my movement is now about 90% normal and I remained pain free.  It isn't restricting me at all in my daily life now and I don't really think about it.  Though there was no instant release of the capsule (it can happen to some) it was still a success from my point of view to get rid of the pain.  Good luck with your procedure and don't panic.  Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. Not sure why I am so anxious guess it's reading up on others experiences. I will take my codeine phosphate which I normally only gave in the evening as they knock me a bit but hubby driving me so at least I'll be less anxious. I have had the cortisone shot which I did not feel was painful at all so fingers crossed

• Posted

Good to hear of your success Maria.  To provide some more reassurance to dpa, my experience was very similar but less painful.  I felt a small prick from the initial injection, but the anaesthetic took effect pretty much instantly.  The dilation itself felt a bit weird but not painful.  I could feel the pressure building in the capsule as the injection was administered but it was odd rather than unpleasant.  I did feel the capsule release, a sharp "popping" sensation, and I think some noise but I'm not sure of that.  It was a slight shock but not at all painful (I did jump slightly on the gurney!).  After the procedure I got the train home, and my shoulder just felt numb.

when I got off the train, as I stepped down I jarred my body as my foot hit the floor.  This kind of jarring would have caused agony two hours earlier, but this time I felt only the very slightest twinge.  That night was my first pain free sleep in I don't know how long, and as I said, within six days I was hammering golf balls again with all my strength.  My playing partners could not believe it.  After the first treatment the pain never returned.  My second treatment was similar, but no further capsule release (which I found oddly disappointing at the time...).  The shoulder was more numb after the second treatment (higher dose maybe?) but nothing unpleasant, it just made it tricky to eat a plate of beans as my arm would go so far towards my mouth and then kind of flop??  Definitely a good idea not to drive after the procedure.  My range of motion came back quickly, I would say close to 100% within 2-3 weeks.

• Posted

Thank you terry for sharing, certainly does ease my stress. Think I'm a bit loopy to be honest almost eight months of agony, one would imagine twenty minutes of potential pain would be a walk in the park ??. Will post my experience after. Scheduled 9.30 am tomorrow x

• Posted

Don't be silly, you're not loopy.  It's completely natural to be anxious.  Do let us know how it goes.

oh and it wasn't 20 minutes for me, it was five minutes tops!

• Posted

It's only natural to be nervous - I was.  It was not painful for me - slighly uncomfortable for a very short time but no pain. The 15-20 minutes included the whole time I was in there, including scans and checks before and after - the actual procedure was probably about 5 minutes. Good luck!

• Posted

To Maria and terry just back from hydrodilatation and honestly can say the worst part was the discomfort holding my arm next to my body palm up and weighted down. Only word to describe the procedure is weird. He heard a pop but I didn't. Not painful at all and so happy I didn't chicken out. Onwards and upwards now hoping for positive results but either way so pleased I have had this done xx

• Posted

Glad to hear it went OK - let us know how you get on after a few days and if you have any movement back.  All the best!
    • Posted

Will do was panicky as thought the result should be immediate. They did say increased pain possibly for a few days. How were you just after, is it normal to be achy?
    • Posted

Yes, I had a mild ache when the local anaesthetic wore off and that went away after a couple of days when the cortisone kicked in.  Some people get more instantaneous release of the capsule, mine got better over a period of months - but for me the biggest immediate benefit was to be without pain.
    • Posted

Thank you relieved I'm on track with someone's experience that ended positively ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.