Hyper followed by hypo!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello i am 28 years old healthy male I work out regulary with no even family history of thyriod diseases. last may (8 month ago) I was diagnosed with thyroiditis due an overactive thyriod (hyperthyrodsism). My symptoms was losing 9 kgs in about 2 months and hair thinning. My tsh was 0.01 and FT3 5.46 FT4 2.50 CBC blood test was normal ANA negative, Antithyroid anti boides negative. Thyriod ultrasound normal with hypervascularity color doppler (suggestive thyroditis) -- RAIU 0.3% (n=0.4 -4). My endo said it's a 'viral thyroiditis' and didn't give me meds but only to monitor. On 15th of July My thyriod changed to be hypothyriod! with TSH 6.26 (t3,t4 normal) then two weeks later it became 7.47 doctor said monitor since there was no symptoms. In august tsh lowered to 3.97. sept lowered to 3.17 (with also normal ft3 & ft4). Yesterday (8/jan/17) tsh reached 5.97! Can pls tell me what do I have exactly and what's going on? Although there are no any symptoms...... I hope I can get answer and suggestion from knowledgabe people here

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Has your TPO been tested? I've read that you can go from hyper to hypo with hashimotos. Hopefully someone else can give you more info.

• Posted

I agree with Mary. Hashimotos can go back and forth between hypo and hyper in early stages.  If you'd gone hypo, then normal, I wouldn't be so concerned. But going from hyper to hypo indicates your system is having difficulty regulating the thyroid. This can sometimes precede more severe thyroid conditions.

Id take precautionary measures to support your thyroid with supplements and diet changes. Keep in mind, thyroid disease is slow, both to happen and to heal, so be patient.

There are are tons of posts here on diet and immune system support towards thyroid care. Also there are many books about thyroid health. 

If if you can't find the info you need, feel free to pm me and I'm happy to share what has worked for me. Others here are also a very willing to help.

• Posted

Hello

Thanks for you answer just let me to point out again that my antibodies still negative... Wouldnt that rule out hashimoto? I've read that it is normal for subacute thyroditis (which would be my case since my iodine uptake was low) to tansit from hyper to hypo before it normalize. But the problem here is mine is still hypo (subclinical) for 7 months now! And also TSH was normal when I tested in October and November, then raise again in January to 5.97. Am I still in the transition phase of the subacute thyroditis? Or since it didnt stabilize for 7 months I got something else?

• Posted

The radioactive test for the thyroid damages it. This could contribute to your symptoms.

Antibody tests in general are notorious for false negatives. I have severe Hashimotos. My antibodies tested negative and my TSH never tested above 2.5. Hashimotos is often does not show in initial blood tests. You need a really good Endo to diagnose. If you have all the symptoms and growth of cyst on your thyroid, they can do an ultrasound to diagnose Hashimotos.

• Posted

Dear mtviewcatherine

Thanks again for your response... Are you saying that my iodine uptake test could've damaged my thyriod? (Yes could be but High unlikely) Or you are still suspecting hashimoto? Because both are entirly different things!

I swear I do not have hypo sypmtoms, I did the ultra sound twice which didnt find any cyst/tumor/nodule .. I did antibodies in every phase ... At the beginning when it was hyper (8 months ago) and when it was hypo at the inital and few days ago when TSH was 5.97 all are negative...

• Posted

Hi Alla, I wasn't sure if the RIA you mentioned was an antibody lab test or a test in the body. (As for the hair loss can be a hypo symptom, but it can also indicate hyper, as many hyper and hypo symptoms are the same.) If your TSH was initially 0.1, that indicates hyperthyroid. With hyperthyroid, they usually want to treat with radioactive iodine, not just test. But the treatment nearly always kills off too much, resulting in a lifetime of hypothyroidism, which is horrible.

The radioactive iodine test is to test iodine uptake to see if there are any cells metabolizing faster than others. But your thyroid and other cells will absorb radioactive iodine that you drink. The radioactive iodine can damage your thyroid gland. That's what radioactive iodine does- it damages certain cells in your body, particularly your thyroid. So the test itself could slow your thyroid.

If you've been exposed to radioactive iodine, it could take your thyroid some time to heal.

Does that start to make sense?

• Posted

Yes it was just an uptake test (not a treatment as you thought) to rule out graves.... And the uptake was low which suggest "resolving Thyroditis".

I have indeed read more about the risk of the test and it sure carries a small risk. But do you really think that this could be the reason for long hypo phase? Even if it is the reason, I really hope it will heal sometime rolleyes

• Posted

Also I have been reading an article stating one good reason for the fluctuating TSH (espcially for the sunclinical hypothyrodisim) which usually due to the timing of the day of lab testing and the season (i.e cold weather tend to increase TSH) and being fasting or not (fasting would also increase TSH). This could be a reason of why my TSH fluctuates between subclinical and normal ranges.
    • Posted

That could be, but I tend to disagree from my experience with Hashimotos. However, your results showed hyper, which can indicate graves. Also in the early stages of thyroid disease, the blood levels can be sporadic. 

T3, is generally derived from T4 (T4 is thought to be produced by the thyroid in response to TSH). T4 is long lasting, while T3 is way more potent and only lasts about 4 hours. We think T3 may be linked with adrenal response, makes sense, right? To help with a short burst of energy, and to help balance the system as needed. I've never been able to find info on whether T3 or T4 or both feedback to the pituitary for TSH production. My guess is both would be involved, but low  T3 would be a stronger stimulator of TSH. So consider these feedback loops.

When you think of meds, it takes the body months to fully reregulate once meds are given. This tells you that the thyroid feedback loop should be extremely stable even in patients with wonky thyroid tests. This is why your doc spreads out the testing to at least several weeks. 

From on my experience with the meds, and without meds, I don't think fasting, and othe factors should make a huge difference in T4 or TSH levels. However, it could cause higher T3 levels if you're experiencing stress as well. Just a guess.

Also, while Graves' disease tends towards higher TSH levels, Hashimotos often does not show extreme high TSH levels. So maybe check specifically on Graves' disease, since that's more likely what you're dealing with.

Lastly, you're fortunate that it appears you caught it early. There are many diet and supplement changes you can make to support thyroid health, especially in the early stages.

Hope that clears things up. I'm guessing it's pretty much clear as mud. At least no you understand why treating and understanding thyroid disease is super challenging!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.