hyper-graves

Posted , 3 users are following.

I need someone to tell answer some questions for me. Somevodys whos been on my shoes before. I've just been recently diagnosed with graves. The doc has me on 4 5mg tablets of methiamazole. Does anyone think that is to low? How often should I he having my bloodwork? Now say the medication destroys my thyroid. What are my in next steps? Or say it doesn't would u suggest rai or a thyroidectomy as my next option? Anything I can do to ease the graves? Anything I should he avoiding? Has anyone eyes starting retracting? Any vitamins I should be taking? And gas anyone ever took the natural approach? Sorry about all the questions apprentely my endo.. Sucks . thanks in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

So you are on 20 mg a day of Methimazole?  I would need to know what your starting Thryoid test measurements were along with the normal values for the lab that tested you.  That is TSH, Free T3 and Free T4, & any antibody testing.  Always ask for a paper copy of your lab tests and keep your own file on them.  My blood work is usually done by my Endocrinologist every 3 months and my family doctor will do it in between.  I had to get my blood work done more frequently when my lab values changed dramatically when I added supplements to my treatment plan along with the methimazole.  The medication will not destroy your thyroid.  The medication blocks the uptake of excessive thyroid hormone.  As well as the medication, I took the supplements L-carnitine 3,000 mg, Vitamin D3 1,000 mg and Magnesium 200 mg and also anti-inflammatory supplements like Omega 3.  Some people I know have totally done the natural route but they did not do this on their own, that would be dangerous.  They were under the care of a Naturopath when they did it.
    • Posted

Sorry to butt in on this conversation but linda87 do you buy your supplements individually or do you use an all in one supplement ? If so which one ?
    • Posted

I buy my supplements individually, however I did see a combination L-carnitine with Co-Q10 and since I also take that one, the next time I have to purchase it, I will probably get that combination.  I know it leaves a lot of capsules to take but that is how I purchase them .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.