Hypermobility and Marching Band

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 19 and participate in a university marching band which utilizes a very rapid and aggressive high-step marching technique. I am hypermobile and have been to pt in the past. My biggest problem is my knees (particularly the left). They both bend backward about 20-30 degrees and hurt around the medial/anterior joint area. My left knee will hurt occasionally while walking or biking and especially while Marching. It's been doing this for months. My ankles also cause me pain after marching for a while, I play tenor saxophone which weighs around 4.5 kg, most of which is supported by my right thumb. The joint connecting my thumb to my hand is generally so sore it's very difficult to hold the instrument correctly. 

Its obvious I'm not exactly built for marching, but I love it so I would really like advice. What do I do about this? Braces and splints? Just be careful? Or must I call the doctor (which I've been avoiding...)

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My keft knee started to dislocate at around 15. I'm now diagnosed with ehlers danlos hypermobility syndrome. You can look up beighton score test to assess, bearing in mind, it does not include the ankles - my weakest joints - causing me pain, sprain and and to fall a lot) I brace and use crutches after dislocations/subluxes or general knee pain. Have you looked into KT tape? Please bear in mind, that damage you do to you joints now - may cause problems later. stat well.
  • Posted

I would suggest very good knee and ankle braces (the ones you wrap around or pull on).

But, I would also find a good doctor to monitor. I wasnt involved in the same activities but did a lot of water skiing, drill teams, speed skating, etc.

By my 30's I needed both knees replaced because there was no cartridge left.

Unfortunately it's hard to find an ortho that is willing to do this before you are in you are at least over 50.

I finally found one and had one replaced at 4 and hope to have the other one done before this April.

I wish I would have known this at your age. I may have been able to avoid getting to this point at such a young age.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.