Hypermobility in 6 year old

Posted , 2 users are following.

My son who is 6 years old was diagnosed with hypermobilty at 15 months he is very careful in his running and jumping but has come on alot in the last year i bring him to private swimming lessons once a week on the advice of the physio who felt at the time he was to young to have physio and it is a slow process in the swimming but he has started to love it (its taken a while he hated the water to begin with) he is very thin (eats very well) and is smaller than alot of kids in his class I dont know of any other parent whos child has hypermobiltiy in my circle so would love some advice on what else I should be doing or thinking of for the future or what I may experience in the future, he thankfully dosent seem to have constant pain but i have kept him away from football for the time being thanks any advice will be great

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane, my name is becks im 35 and a mum of two boys. is it joint hypermobilty syndrome your son got diagnosed with?  I have been diagnosed with Ehlers danlos syndrome type 11 (hypermobility)/joint hypermobilty syndrome_ all the same thing..i was diagnosed is sept 2014 after years of random ailments and i had never heard of it before. It is a geneitc conditon and i went to see a genetic counsellor recently. she said no two people are the same with it, one person can have it very mild and hardly show any symptoms(probably more likey to be called hypermobilty by the doctor) and another person could have many symptoms dislocations and severe problems. There is no way of knowing how it will effect someone all can do is look out for things and treat each thing as it happens. We discussed my children. My eldest boy who is 18 is very unlikely to have it having shown no signs. My youngest boy who is 7 years old does show signs of it and she advised no karate or gymnastics (i was brilliant at gymnastics as a child - whoops!). I am happy that you have had your child diagnosed so young, obviuosly i understand im not happy your son has it just happy you are aware. If i had known all those years ago i could have done so many things different (not worked in manual jobs etc)and changed a lot of things and i probably wouldnt be in the pain i am in now. I say probably because i dont know if would have made a difference. I would keep an eye on sitting positions, my son and myself like to sit in the 'w' with the legs, and lie in funny ways so maybe try and stop this, avoid the party trick of over extending the joints as this will hurry up the damage. If your son has problems with writing or holding cutlary you can get special pencils and knives/forks. making the school aware of any issues when they arise is important so he can be given extra time for things. It take my son ages to write one sentence and cant keep up walking far and is very clumsy all early signs of it. I am keeping a close eye on my sons feet as getting insoles for the feet early on will help a lot with high arches or flat feet and can make difference years down the line. I think good posture, not carry a lot of weight in school bags, doing sports that build good muscle mass like bikes, swimming and walking are good. i try not to worry that my son will have the same problems as me or be worse than i am. my pain didnt come til i was older and the joints got damaged from constantly over extending so got early osteoarthritis in them. my niece also has it she is 21 her joints dislocate, mine dont. my son is small for hs age and quite skinny. i try not to think too much into it just make sure he eats healthy diet, exercises and keep eye on things. if there are any questions please ask i know how isolating it is. im just saying you may not experience any thing more than what you already are, i really hope you dont. that is what i say about my son too, we cannot predict smile 
    • Posted

Hi Becks

Thanks so much for your reply hope your keeping ok - hyper mobility ( triple jointed) was what we were told by the consultant thankfully he has no dislocation issues I keep his exercise to swimming and bike ( not a mad fan ) I think your advice on the insole is good he does appear to be quite flat footed so this could help his insoles, he's come on well in school but it has taken a lot of persistence we get a lot of outside school work books just to keep him up to speed but his writing has improved and he's a lot happier with school work etc - just have to keep an eye on any changes hope your little man will be ok and you will feel better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.