Hyperthyroid

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello.

my T3 and T4 count is 84, normal is 12-22,

my question is,

how long it will take to come noramal.?

and

is it true, antithyroid medications need to take life long for hyperthyroid patients ?

im sorry im not fluent in english.

if i type anything wrong.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I think everyone's course is unique.  My FT3 and FT4 were only slightly elevated, not more than by 10 points when I was diagnosed.  I was started on 10 mg of Methimazole and my FT3 and FT4 immediately came into the normal range but my TSH remained at 0 for two years. Then I read an article on the benefits of using L-Carnitine on thyroid patients and I added 3,000 mg of L-Carnitine and vitamin D, 1000 units to my treatment program.  My TSH rose for the first time 59 0.05 and I felt better.  I was able to lower my dose of methimazole to 7.5 mg.  Then I tried different carnitines and I added Acetyl-L-Carnitine, 500 mg and my TSH rose well into the normal range and my FT3 and FT4 decreased as well.  I was able to lower my dose of methimazole to 5 mg daily.  However, I and others found that being on Acetyl required very frequent and careful monitoring with lowering of the dose of Acetyl and/or methimazole as levels changed.  I am currently on 2.5 mg of Methimazole daily and off the carnitines altogether now.  Still on Vitamin D.  I did get tested for Total and Free carnitine levels before I started on it and I was deficient. Also tested for Vitamin D and I was deficient.
    • Posted

thank you very much for ur quic response,

• Posted

Correction in my previous response:  my TSH rose for the first time to 0.05
  • Posted

Hi - No you wont have to take medication for overactive thyroid for all your life, it should start to come normal within a few months.  It helps to eat healthy as possible and reduce or cut out eating cheese I have been told will help.  Also try and reduce stress. best wishes.  
    • Posted

thank you,i feel a bit relax to see ur comment.

• Posted

You are wrong you do not stop taking medication once your levels are reached...
  • Posted

I have been on tablets for over 30 years. You have to take medication for life
    • Posted

I have known many Graves patients who have been off medication and in remission for years.  It depends on how you are managed with medication and most docs do not know enough about this disease and how to manage it properly.  Also, some people discontinue meds when their lab tests normalize, without checking if their antibodies have normalized and if they go off meds before that happens then they often will get rebound Graves symtpoms.
  • Posted

Medication helps you to go into remission.  Being in remission is different than being euthyroid (having normal thyroid levels).  To be in remission, your TRab and TSI antibodies have to come into the normal range.  If they are, then you can stop the meds. 
  • Posted

I have heard that about 20% of Graves' Disease patients go into remission after being treated with anti-thyroid drugs, possibly with a time limit like within the first 2 years.  That means that 80% of patients might not go into remission, or that they choose to have the thyroid removed or killed with radioactive iodine.

It also seems like patients get their T4 and T3 hormones into the normal range long before their TSH will rise into the normal range.

I have both the stimulating antibodies of Graves' Disease and the thyroid destroying antibodies of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and the doctors don't care whether I have any antibodies present as long as they balance each other and my thyroid numbers are in the normal range.

I was diagnosed with Graves' Disease about 5 years ago, but I have not been told to take anti-thyroid drugs for a little over 2 years, now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.