Hyperthyroidism?

Posted , 6 users are following.

For the past couple of weeks, my weight has been a three or four pounds lower than usual. I have been eating more than usual because I can’t seem to get full and I still don’t gain weight. I’ve had a lot of anxiety about this and wonder if it could be caused by hyperthyroidism. I have also been going to the bathroom more than usual and it feels like my heart speeds up at times. Around my thyroid gland, it does seem a little swollen and I have a swollen lymph node on one side. I’ve had muscle aches for a couple of months now so I don’t know if that could relate to my thyroid, but I would love opinions. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Courtneyreneeb1,

I have hyperthyroidism and get all the same symptoms,I actually lost nearly 2 stone in 5 weeks,so I wouldn't worry about the weight issue,this is one of the main symptoms,the lymph nodes,I currently only have one swollen next to my left ear.inalso go to the toilet a lot more now than I used to,hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mark.

• Posted

Wow! That's crazy how much you lost. The thing is that I lost about eight pounds a while back but I did gain it back.  I'm concerned that this has been an issue for awhile. 

• Posted

Here's what you may experience with hyperthyroidism:

Appetite change (decrease or increase)

Difficulty sleeping (insomnia)

Fatigue

Frequent bowel movement—perhaps diarrhea

Heart palpitations

Heat intolerance

Increased sweating

Irritability

Light menstrual periods—perhaps even missed periods

Mental disturbances

Muscle weakness

Nervousness

Courtney,

Here is a list of some symptoms you will experience with hyperthyroidism,but from what I hear you may experience some symptoms of hypothyroidism,everyone experiences are different.

Problems with fertility

Shortness of breath

Sudden paralysis

Tremor/shakiness

Vision changes

Weight loss-but perhaps weight gain

Dizziness

Thinning of hair

Itching and hives

Possible increase in blood sugar

• Posted

Thank you for the detailed list! It certainly sounds like a lot of the symptoms I have. 
  • Posted

Courtney, why don't you get your doc to do thyroid tests as soon as possible?  That will ease your mind.  You have enough symptoms to justify at least having TSH, Free T3 and T4 tested.  

• Posted

That's what I've been thinking about doing. Do you know if it can cause migraines as well?

• Posted

Some people are regular migraine sufferers.  If so, they could have this along with thyroid problems.  You have enough symptoms to justify asking for thyroid tests and then go from there depending on the results. If you also have migraines, I would let the physician know and ask him if he has any suggestions about how to treat the migraines as well.  
  • Posted

A blood test could easily establish if your thyroid hormone levels are abnormal.

If you suspect that there might be something wrong with your thyroid it would be best to make an appointment with your GP to explain the symptoms you are having. 

• Posted

The best thing you can do is go to your GP and request a blood test to check your thyroid count, thyroid conditions can be heredity. My gran has an under active thyroid, my mum has an overactive but it skipped my sister and then I had an overactive, I was diagnosed just before I turned 15, my mum knew right away I had a thyroid problem because mine and her symptoms here nearly the exact same, my thyroid count was at 82 so I was really toxic, I was on carbimazole and beta blockers but they didn't help so I went to an endocrinologist and they got me in for surgery to have my thyroid gland removed. I was 15 when they removed it and now I'm 16, I'm on levothyroxine for the rest of my life but they were going to give me radioactive iodine but I was too toxic for it. But yes go to your GP ASAP and request a blood test and tell them your symptoms because it can be serious.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.