Hyperthyroidism and brain fog

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I was put on 15mg of carbimazole and after 3 weeks my blood test stated my condition had worsened. I was then increased to 20mg and after 3 weeks had blood tests and the condition had got worse still. I'm now on 40mg of carbimazole and although my fatigue is subsiding, my anxiety and brain does not feel like it's getting better. My head almost feels like it's full of pressure and I'm unable to think properly. Is this brain fog? Also will this subside and does anyone have any indication on how long this will all take? Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you're feeling so awful James and that you got worse although were receiving treatment.  It does take a while to feel 'normal' again and I suggest giving it at least three months. I know what it's like to feel so bad and have mental health issues as well as the physical symptoms.   I would also recommend taking some supplements, such as magnesium and selenium or a good quality multivitamin. My endo recommends going gluten free too so you may want to give it a try. I hope you feel better soon.,  

• Posted

Thanks For your reply Sue. Fingers crossed the Carbimazole starting to do the trick sooner rather than later.
  • Posted

Dear James

Be strong ... you're already in the way to good health .... you've been diagnosed and you know what you have wrong with you ... that's the first step 2 nd ... get a paper copy of your results and post them on here again .. you will be amazed how much help you'll get ..

I was diagnosed with Graves' disease ... hyperthyroidism s year ago ... I was very ill .. with just about every known symptom of Graves .. I wanted to die and was in pain

.. real pain .

For some reason I found this site and

People told me what supplements I needed and I gleaned all the info I could about my condition

I responded very well to Carbimazole and starting at 20MG a day ...within three weeks started to feel better I had brain fog I could hardly complete a sentence ..

That took a while ...probably three months later I was feeling well in the way to recovery ..please don't give up hope your

Going to feel so much better

I'll let you know the supplements I took

If you'd like ..

This is now the weekend don't give up hope of folk don't answer till Monday

Hang in there and stay focused on the fight ahead ...

Mx🌹

• Posted

Hi Madge, thanks for your reply. I would love to know what supplements you took to help with your recovery.

Yes I am at that point where I struggle to complete sentences and content rating but knowing you had these too has given me hope to know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

It's just a very long process. Not like taking antibiotics and feeling better in a few days. :-(

Thanks James

• Posted

I'm traveling in car right now but will give you a list shortly .. then you can sit with your computer / iPad and research each one and see if you'd like to start taking them

It's basically minerals and vitamins that have been depleted in your body because You've been going at a hundred miles an hour ...probably through your sweating bladder and bowels ...

Meanwhile if you have time for now ...press on my name at top of page

And see the things I've listed to others in other posts ..

Best of luck Luvvie

Learn all you can .. know your enemy

Dan is great for advice and knowledge .. also Linda has great experience on this subject

Mx🌹

• Posted

While being hyperthyroid I experienced a feeling of constantly being 'on the edge'. Normal everyday events (like the doorbell ringing) would trigger a strong reaction as if I am startled (pounding heart and breathlessness). 

On top of that, I had trouble falling asleep due to the elevated heart rate and not being able to calm down. 

For me the symptoms I mentioned above improved after about 3 weeks on 30mg Carbimazole. I also noticed that it helped me to take the medication during early evening hours. I was subsequently diagnosed with Graves' disease and had to take Carbimazole for for more than 1.5 years (but at a very low dose).

Even though I was tired and less productive I never experienced what you describe as 'brain fog'. Do you by any chance take any other medication that might have such side effects?

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply, yes brain fog is a symptom of hyperthyroidism. It's for some severe cases. Mine has gotten quite bad as I was diagnosed with anxiety a long time (on edge all the time ect...) instead of hyperthyroidism. It was only until the fatigue got so much that the docs run blood tests and realised I had been fighting the wrong condition.

Thanks

James

• Posted

Hi James .. i can appreciate you're feeling very bad and need help .. like I did ! The first supplement I was made aware of was B12

... it's really important to me , it certainly was .. as my day finished from about 12 ... 2.00 pm every

As I was exhausted by them and in pain ... so I'll list my supplements and must stress I'm not a medical practitioner .. just someone who self medicated as nothing was being done for me !

So ...

B1 For energy ....,( look up B1 deficiency and do the same with every vitamin or mineral I list ok ?

B1 Energy

B12 must be sublingual as gets to

Bloodstream faster

BComplex

MagnesiumWonderful for nervous

For nervous system

Iron

Zinc

Copper

Selenium Immune system

80% of our immune

System is in gut

D3 Sweats and other ...

K2 Helps direct calcium

Vitamin C

AcidophilusI take 1 or 2 x 20billion

Per day

My plan was that my thyroid had been good to me all my life .. that it was my immune system that was out of kilter .. so I strove to repair my IS

And coax it to leave my thyroid alone

As it was attacking it !

It has certainly worked for me and I'm enjoying being me again .. happy and healthy !!!

You will be too James .. I was left with bad pain in my joints .. but dan

Helped me there and I'm almost free of that entirely too now ..

I bought these products online in one place ..and had s great choice of good products... pure is best with no fillers

Added .. for the price of a good night out you can fill you med cabinet with good health .. and be your old self again soon ..

Carbimazole is only temporary it works well and to wean off it I used

L Carnitine .. google that It's amazing stuff !!

Think that's it .. I'll add more if I remember ..

Keep us informed as to your progress

... we care !

Mx🌹

• Posted

Thanks for all your help Madge, I really appreciate it.

James

• Posted

Hi James

Brain fog is one of the horrid symptoms of Graves disease. It should settle when your levels become normal again...hang in there. Good luck and keep checking in here when you need support.

• Posted

Thanks Veronica for your information and support. Fingers crossed I feel better soon.
  • Posted

Hi James-

I'm having the same symptoms.  Can you keep us updated on how you are feeling now?  I've been taking methimazole for a couple of months now and I feel like my brain is not functioning and it's hard for me to sleep because I have these head rushes.

Thanks!

Michelle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.