Hyperthyroidism and swollen legs

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hello everybody. I hope someone can help. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism three weeks ago. My feet, ankles and legs were slightly swollen, but since then the swelling has got worse and worse. My calves feel hard, and my feet and ankles are really swollen. I can only wear slippers. I am taking Carbimozole 40 mgms. a day and Propranolol 20 mgms three times a day. I don't feel as jumpy as I did before. I've been to see an endocrinologist today, and he said the leg swelling would go once my throid levels fell. My potassium level is raised, as is my liver function. Can these be affected by my thyroid? I'm also having a lot of migraines. Has anyone had a similar experience?

3 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Actually the swelling place is right above the knee. 
  • Posted

Hi,  I too had the extreme swollen feet, ankles and legs.  I went to the emergency room it was so bad. Endo. Doc. Told me because I was so hyper I was dehydrated despite drinking tons of water. It made sense to me. He said my body was going into survival mode so it was storing everything. He took me off the 40mg of tapiizole and put me on triamterene water slash BP pill.  It worked!  He said I needed to reset my body. Put me back on the tapiizole in 5 days.  Good luck!  
  • Posted

hi marigold. i havent been offically diagnosed yet as im just over normal and have to wait till the end of september. but swelling ankles and horrible lower body pain seems to be conected.
  • Posted

hi,

i had  the same problem swollen calves and feet  tried many medications until i saw a new gp at my surgery she priscribed me FLUCLOXACILLIN 500MG CAPS miy sweeling has gone 100% take 1 cap every 6 hours for one week...

• Posted

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid 5 years ago. I am hypo now. Since started getting treatment my feet have been swollen and it is worse and worse every year. It is hard to find shoes to fit now and I am frustrated. Doctors can't say much about this. Please someone advice me what should I do now. I have very dry eyes too and tears come out all day. please let me know if someone had same issues and what you have done. Thanks, 

• Posted

Hello togi50480 I hope you are feeling much better. I also have get swollen feet and terrible burning in my feet and legs, I also get dry eyes as I have thyroid eye disease slight bulging of the eyes. I go to MOREFIELD EYE HOSPITAL they gave me eye drops HYLO-TEAR & VITA-POS EYE OINTMEN. I hope this helps

• Posted

Hello Marigold I hope you are feeling much better. I have also had swelling of the feet it is not all the time and the skin on my feet have changed in texture and colour also my liver function has changed I do think it is the thyroid as it regulates everything in our bodies
  • Posted

Yes, I have had swollen feet, ankles and legs.  I have had it before I was diagnosed with Graves Disease and since.  Occasionally, I make a connection with a new medication or vitamin.  I've spoken to three doctors so far concerning this matter.  The most recent occurence was both legs.  Fortunately for me, mine has passed on its own but it still concerns me.  I plan to follow up to try to get to the bottom of it.  I'm planning to try once more, then, as Judge Judy says, "put a period and move on", if a cause cannot be found.

I do believe that once your levels are more controlled this condition will improve because a lot of my other symptoms have improved drastically. 

• Posted

Hi I was diagonized 7 years ago ... Although rai or surgery was recommended I decided against it... I worked with an alternative MD and naturalpath modified diet and take a ton of vitamins

i need to check my t3s but I usually can tell by how I feel if things are out of whack however I get checks every year or so.... Noticed ankles and feet were swollen so ramped up the brome lain 500 mg (4), turmeric and tart cherry.  Swelling responds very quickly... Gotta make an appointment to get my levels checked

usually malissa supreme drops calms my thyroid 

• Posted

Hi I had really swollen hard legs - they went as the carbimazole worked.
  • Posted

HI Marigold,

I have just been diagnosed with overactive thyroid three weeks ago too, saw endocrinologist at hospital this week who confirmed it.

My legs have been swelling up the past 4-5 weeks which I was concerned about, so went to GP. Bloods came back showing Anemia and overact thyroid ?? I feel nervous, hot and itchy. I'm also panicking and worrying about my health. Keep having new symptoms: sore pelvis, achy legs, tremors. I'm googling my symptoms and things like Lupus and MS come up. I'm due to start Carbimozole tomorrow so fingers crossed.

I hope you are feeling well.

Nik x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.