Hyperthyroidism treatments

Posted , 13 users are following.

My question is is on the treatments for hyperthyroidism. Today I went with my girlfriend to see the doc, and they told her that she had the option for taking the radioactive iodine pill or surgery. She is worried by taking the pill she gets hypothyroidism and then taking meds for the rest of her life. Also the fear of weight gain and loss of hair. But I've done research and both routes it seems she'll become hypo either way. Is this true and what are the side of Levothyroxine? I want to get as much correct information as possible to help her with her choice and hopefully put her mind at ease.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey I got my thyroidectomy two years ago and yes with the surgery and radioactivity u do have to deal with hypothyroidism but it is way better than having to deal with hyperthyroidism. I take levothyroxine and it doesn't have side effects so don't worry. Only worry is the symptoms of hypothyroidism. My symptoms are minimal but it varies between people. If she would rather have thick hair over a cure for her over active thyroid disease than that's just ridiculous haha. Coming from a person who had hyperthyroidism for three years, getting my thyroid taken out was the best move to make for me, I highly recommend she does it.
    • Posted

Thank you for answering there was so many articles out there I started getting confused but thank you for answering my questions! (=
    • Posted

Also I have graves eye disease which pleasantly came along with my hyperthyroidism! And if she doesn't already have it, by taking the radioactive pill she risks getting it. She DOES NOT want graves eye disease. If she's worried about the scar the surgery is going to leave on her neck ask her this: would she rather have a scar or bulging eyes? Graves disease is not pleasant, you should also research it. smile
  • Posted

I'm in the exact same conundrum. I had a very high FT4 (higher than the lab could measure) and all the classic symptoms of hyper. I responded pretty much immediately to carbimazole and the very next month was nearly normal - I don't think it's graves (only had half the anibodies test results, whch came back neg) so the consultant wants to do RAI or surgery - both I'm not happy with.

I have hypertension, and even though I plumetted 3 stone in weight, I'm still overweight) so I just can't see how putting on a metric ton of weight going hypo would be the healthiest option for me. I'm a middle aged female and losing weight has always been a battle. I feel like I've been given a leg up in my weight loss and I'm now keeping track of calories in and out to continue it. 

I'll be staying on pills while there's breath in my body!

• Posted

Hi Adrian

I have Graves and was really really sick about two years ago with a thyroid storm - in hospital for two weeks and lost over three stone (that was the only good thing to come out of it!!) but I was put on block and replace and it worked like a charm - I'm not sure why people dont seem to mention this as an alternative!

• Posted

Hi adrain, I too am at the same stage as your girlfriend my Endo want me to get the operation or Radio iodine (RAI) and I am having the dilemma of deciding what to do.

To be honest my main concerns for having the above is the weight gain (sounds very sad of me) but I have spent years of weight going up and down I am 33 yrs old and I am finally at my happy weight I do not want to gain again.

I have major fear of getting the operation so I think the Radio is my option I have spoken to someone who has it done and they say it the best thing the even did and have not gained weight and not sure about their hair they have never said about it so i am 90% sure I am going for the RAI and if I do it will be in the next month or two.

I see the comment above has mentioned the block and replace. Am I right in saying you can only do this for a certain period of time. As my Endo has said he does not like you being on the carbimazole for a long period of time???

• Posted

Hi Emily I was on block and replace for about 6/7 months I cant actually remember - Carbimozole on it's own to start with for a few weeks then carbimazole and thyroxine for 6 months then stopped taking everything - I didn't have any issues and am totally back to normal! essentially CTRL ALT DELETE on the thyroid. It has to be worth a shot before RAI or surgery no?
  • Posted

I too have the same dilemma.  My Endo is pushing for me to have RAI but I am terrified of gaining tons of weight once I become hypo.  I have always had a very slow metabolism and found it really difficult trying to maintain a healthy weight even before I developed Graves, so the thought of anything slowing my metabolism down even more terrifies me.  I did lose about 21 pounds when I was first diagnosed, but simply being carbimazole has put my weight right back up to where I started and I am really struggling to lose it again.  My Endo has said that I can stay on carbimazole for ever but I get the impression that they are not keen on this idea.  I am also rather scared of having RAI because of the risk of Graves Eye Disease.  To be obese and have bulgy eyes to match really does not appeal to me very much at all.  Therefore, if I had anything, I would probably opt for surgery but I would really like to hear from people who have had surgery and then taken thyroxine to know if they gained any weight after the procedure.  Do they give you thyroxine immediately after surgery or do you have to wait until you go hypo before they give you anything?

• Posted

I've been hyperthyroid (and tested positive with markers for Grave's disease) for a few years and my doctor gives me a med called methamazole.  She takes a more conservative approach and since this is working for me, I'm fine with taking that rather than doing the radioactive thing or surgery, both of which will make you become hypothyroid, and having to take a daily pill of something else.  If I'm going to take a daily pill either way, I'd rather avoid the surgery or radioactive pill, and take the methamazole, which settles down the thyroid issues.  Is that an option for you?
    • Posted

She is actually already on methamazole. But she isn't consistent with taking it.
    • Posted

WOW...she needs to be very consistent with taking it.  I noticed if I forgot to take it for a couple days, my symptoms would be back.  Even if she has surgery or the radioactive treatment, she would have to be consistent taking her new medication on a daily basis, too, or she will feel lousy with hypo symptoms!
    • Posted

That's another concern she had cause she a very forgetful person and she worried about taking pills for the rest of her life and the side effects that come with it.
    • Posted

forgetfulness ... is a symptom ... don't take RAI  ... you can become Euthyroid if you take Carbimazole ... and then supplements 

• Posted

If she is not going to take her medication regularly, I guess she will have to decide then which type of symptoms she can endure better, being hypo or hyper...she can remain on the methamazole and have hyper symptoms when she forgets to take it, or she can do the surgery or radioactive treatment and have hypo symptoms when she forgets to take her new med.  Those are her choices so maybe thinking about that will help her decide what to do.
  • Posted

I have Graves and my doctor is putting me on a low dose of beta blockers. I prefer to do the least invasive, least drastic thing I can, but my case may be less severe than yours. If possible get a second opinion and in the meantime find ways to relax. I had to up my protein intake and do lots of deep breathing exercises along with regular exercise. I even am trying to eliminate toxins by eating more organic. I have also been taking an antihistamine at night that some people believe may help. I don't know for sure but I have allergies and the medication doesn't have any major interactions with the beta blockers other than sleepiness and I take them before bed any way.
    • Posted

I found playing keyboard an hour before bed was a great way to relax. I eventually shed the beta blocker. Best of luck!
    • Posted

What kind of antihistamine do you take? I have hyperthyroidism. I am not on thyroid meds at this time, and am looking for an antihistamine safe to take with having hyperthyroid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.