Hyperthyroidism, using neomercazol but often have high blood pressure and symptoms came back.

Posted , 3 users are following.

On 15 sep 2016 I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism with no graves disease. My blood test result were (TSH=0.150, T3=1.57, T4=14.10) doctor prescribed me carbimazole 10mg daily and citalopram for panic attacks and pills for high blood pressure.My symptoms before using above said medicines were 1.High blood pressure, 2.Stomch problems, 3.Heavy head, 4.Sleepy all day, 5.palpitation. You can say feels like Zombie. But after using medicines symptoms 60% gone. I have no high blood pressure history. I know Hyperthyroid will take long time to heal up might be 12 to 18 months. Whenever i didnt take high blood pressure pill for 4 days then at a night have high blood pressure and all symptoms came back.My question is should i take high blood pressure till that long period. plz help if somebody know about this. Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi awais, sorry you are not well. I was diagnosed with Graves' disease and was treated with Carbimazole for 18 month (during this period the dose was gradually reduced.) Did your doctor mention the cause of your thyroid disorder? 

The time frame of your treatment might be shorter if you are not suffering from Graves' disease. 

Regarding your blood pressure, I think it is not a good idea to seek advise on this forum. The messages posted here are mostly from laymen that are not qualified to give professional advise.

Instead, make an appointment with your doctor to discuss  your problems. Medicine for blood pressure has to be adjusted carefully to avoid high or low blood pressure. This is very common when starting the medication or when changing to a different medication. 

Regarding the panic attacks, almost every patient that is hyperthyroid experiences feelings of being constantly on edge, agitation or panic. These are symptoms of hyperthyroidism and improve as your thyroid hormone levels come down to a normal range. I am mentioning this because citalopram indeed helps some patients with panic attacks but also has a whole range of side effects like sleepiness, palpitations, weakness. See: https://patient.info/medicine/citalopram-cipramil-paxoran

• Posted

Thank you very much for your reply. Doctor told me the cause of my thyroid disorder is anxiety and bad diet. Today i have an appointment with my doctor, i will explain him my conditions. By the way did your hyperthyroidism gone and how are feeling now?

Best regards

Awais.

• Posted

At the moment I am not taking any medication and I am feeling well. Hopefully my next blood test in 4 month time will confirm that I am in remission. 

Without wanting to sound prejudiced, the answer your doctor gave you regarding the cause of the thyroid problem sounds vague to say the least. That is not a proper diagnosis.

While emotional and physical stress (for example a viral infection) can trigger a thyroid disorder (in those that are genetically predisposed) endocrinologists will look for physical evidence in order to make a diagnosis. Evidence can be hormone levels, presence of antibodies, thyroid nodules, thyroid swelling or inflammation, etc.    

Unless your diet includes far too much iodine (for example by eating too much seaweed) or  you are taking supplements or medication containing iodine, I am not aware of a 'bad diet' that leads to hyperthyroidism. 

• Posted

Your are right i have little bit swelling but not very visiable and not painful. Today my doctor says that i am improving. I discussed about my blood pressure issue he recommend me low dosage of blood pressure pill daily. For my weakness he prescribe Q10 co enzyme and multivitamins suppliment and continue carbimizole 10mg. He ask me to come after amonth for follow up.Its my first month with Hyperthyroid so he says its good to take blood test after three month. Did you remember how much was your T4 level on first test.
    • Posted

I looked up my initial value for T4: 61.4pmol/L  [10-20]. When comparing make sure that your lab uses the same units and normal range.

Btw, if you take your medication without splitting the dose then take it during early evening hours. It might help you sleep better at night and give you just a bit more energy during the day.     

• Posted

Thanks for medication tip. But walking with spining heavy head feeling insane. Is there any suggestion about this. Anything did helped you in this condition.
  • Posted

Yes you can take high blood pressure drugs for long. But your doses will be reduced after doing blood tests till you will be taken off them eventually

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.