HYPERVENTILATION SYNDROME

Posted , 5 users are following.

does hyperventilation related to anxiety?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes - it's a major symptom of anxiety. However, many people have a tendency to hyperventilate when they're a bit flustered about something, without suffering from diagnosable anxiety. This is particularly true of young people, and especially young women. I did it a lot when I was young, and it occasionally happens even now, in my 70s, if I get uptight about something. I was diagnosed with depression in my 20s but recovered completely over the next 10 years, and have never felt myself to be a particularly anxious person.

It's completely harmless, although it can make you feel unwell for half an hour or so. And it's not necessarily a sign of severe anxiety or, indeed, of any other physical or mental illness.

• Posted

Yes. In fact it can only happen on and off. The body has automatic mechanisms that bring breathing back into a normal pattern after a while.
    • Posted

i had the attack about 3 hours ago where my heart pounding like crazy and i really really really cant breathe to the point i really feel like dying. when the doc syas that i hve hyperventilation syndrome i felt relief. but somehow until right now i feel hard to breathe only a little and feel a little scared. is this normal? have u ever felt this way too?
    • Posted

I fee like that all the time, it's very common. Haev you had anxiety in the past?
    • Posted

i have been to many different doctors and 3 of them says that i have anxiety and since my first episode i have been under anxiety like everyday. but today the feels is a little different and very scary that usual and that is when i was diagnosed with this. can u share me how do u usually feel?
    • Posted

it's different for everyone. I get pain all over and I feel terrified. You need to find something that makes you comfortable and keep doing that. Focus on your good memories and try to get back to that.

Think about the happier moments in your life, and try to get back to those. It's hard but you can do it.

If you need anything, keep posting on this forum or send me a PM. 

All the best.

• Posted

Yes, everyone feels this way during attacks of hyperventilation. When you're doing it, it doesn't feel as if you're breathing too deep or too fast, it feels normal. As soon as you start trying to breathe normally again, your mind tricks your body into thinking it's not getting enough air.

The way round this is to make an effort to slow down your breathing and breathe less deeply for as long as you can. As soon as you feel you absolutely need to, take just one or two gulps of air, then return to the controlled breathing again. At the outset, I can't manage normal breathing for more than half a minute before I have to gasp. If you keep this up, you'll gradually find the breathless, panicky feeling is wearing off. It's something you can train yourself to do with a little effort.

Btw, the doctor probably told you about the other effects hyperventilation has on you, but here they are, just in case: dizziness, nausea, pins-and-needles in the extremities, especially fingers and lips, and stiffening of the muscles in fingers and face. All completely harmless and will go away once you get your breathing back to normal.

• Posted

thanks a lot ! the doctor did said that she experienced it to when she was around my age and it is still happening to her. she also did said that it is common for a student around my age. i did feel a little bit better. and when you also said that you feel the same i felt really relief. really thanks! i will pm you if anything ever happens because i dont think i can do this on my own haha
    • Posted

when you have this hyperventilation attack, have you ever felt like you are gonna die or is it just me?
    • Posted

lol I have so many times. it sucks. It's so scary.
    • Posted

normally i just felt breathless but today when i was in car with my friends suddenly i felt i really cant breath and it was like i really was gonna die. even when i tried to convince and calm myself it still does not working. i even went to 2 doctors today and right now i feel a little better. does you feel exactly like this too? so its not only me????
    • Posted

I feel very similar. It's one of the worst experiences.
    • Posted

so what did you do when it happens? dont you feel panic and helpless?
    • Posted

Everyone feels as if they're going to die during these attacks but, hey, we're all still here, aren't we? Including your doctor!razz
    • Posted

haha yeah but she is a doctor so she fully understand herself that she really does have the syndrome. for someone like me who likes to overthink and easily scared even with just a flu i just cant stop but feels scared haha
    • Posted

Well, your doctor probably didn't understand when she was suffering from the syndrome as a young girl. I didn't either. It was only when I started training as a nurse that I figured out what was going on. I expect it was the same for her.

You do understand now, so there's no need to be scared. This kind of anxiety isn't a badge of honour or a game, you know - it could wreck your whole life, and I don't want that for you. Seriously.cheesygrin

• Posted

Yes, but it passes eventually and you realize that it's in your head.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.