Hypnotherapy?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has any had any success with hypnotherapy for anxiety/panic? I have been on 10mg Escitalopram since November,January to March being good months,but am stricken with terrible anxiety and panic again :-(

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Justine its my belief that hypnotherapy would have great results. There,s  a saying that the subconscious is a wonderful servant but it is a bad master. Unfortunately our subconscious tends to be our master. I believe that's where anxiety stems from. I can't test the theory because I am profoundly deaf. I have tried self hypnosis but I'm not disciplined enough! Good luck . Hope things get better for you. 
    • Posted

Thank you Elizabeth for your advice,I think I might give hypnotherapy a try. Hope you are winning the battle x
  • Posted

Hi Justine, I cannot help you on this but I think it is a good question, I would also be interested in any advice any one has on this.  . . so I just wanted to show my support for you. Sorry to hear your anxiety is really bothering you at the moment. Perhaps arrange some therapy for yourself/go back to your doctor. And in the meantime if you have to wait to see either, try some onilne guided meditation to help you relas at times of anxiety. Even if you are in a public place, you can listen to the guided meditation and focus on your breathing while closing your eyes. 

Try to acknowledge your anxiety whenever it comes up. Say to yourself, "This is just some anxiety and it will pass." Acknowledging your anxiety and recognising it as being just that, anxiety as opposed to a scary set of sensations that start to take over your mind and body, will help you to snap out of it and not to let it take hold. Even if you believe that it is not working you need to continue the positive self talk and fight back against the anxiety. 

I hope this helps in some way, 

agirl x

• Posted

Thank you for your wise words,I really appreciate your advice and will go online to find guided meditation. I am seeing the GP tomorrow for a medication review. I really hope you are winning this battle x
    • Posted

whoops I made to say in my previous comment that even if you are in a public place that you can still do your guided meditation WITHOUT closing your eyes so that you don't feel embarrassed. No one needs to know you are doing meditation if all you are doing is listening to something on your headphones and breathing!! :D 

That's great news you are seeing your doc. I hope it goes well for you. 

Thanks Justine, I believe I am winning this battle at the moment! wink 

Hope things work out for you and best of luck with the hypnotherapy if you do try it! smile 

Agirl xx

• Posted

*I meant to say - honestly what is it with me making typos in this post?!
  • Posted

Hi, I asked my gp about hypnosis a few years ago. They said that as it had no proven scientific validity that they couldn't specifically endorse it.

I did try it anyway but found it didn't really work. I was expecting to be in proper trance like state but wasn't. The hypnotist said that I was hypnotised but that real hypnotherapy is not like when you see it on TV, however I really didn't feel it. I kept my eyes closed but felt that I could have open them at any time. I think it's easier to be hypnotised if you don't feel anxious but that was obviously the reason I was there.

I have known people that have been hypnotised and they swear that it worked. So I could like to try it again but with someone else. Where I went was a bit too 'hippy dippy' for me full of incense and crystals!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.