Hypnotherapy and alternative therapies

Posted , 7 users are following.

After an absolutely horrendous night and an equally bad day I am contemplating hypnotherapy to help ease the pain. Anyone any thoughts on this or other alternative therapies.  The drugs I have tried to date have made matter worse.     Think I have got to the stage where  I will try almost anything that's legal!!

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Maggers

I to have thought about hypnotherapy but very sceptical about it. I have not known anyone I personally know that has tried hypnotherapy for anything.

It will be interesting to see what responses come on this forum?

I too am at a stage where I will give things a try after 20yrs of pains.  

Live for the moment and a day at a time.  Every new day is an interesting learning kerb.

• Posted

Tried to reply but the response disappeared so will try again.Forgive me if it is repeated.   I have bitten the bullet and emailed a hypnotherapist who seems to have experience with fibro.  Will let you know how I get on if I get a response to the email.  Desperate times call for desperate measures. I am not asking for miracles I just want to be able to control  the pain to a reasonable level.   Not much to ask for really is it or is it pie in the sky?
    • Posted

I totally agree with you.  I just would like to be pain free and have a good night sleep. Definitely let me know how you get on with it.

A friend did mention if I had tried hynotherapy but told him I have considered it but too afraid to give it a go as sceptical about it all.

Do keep me posted with your findings. 

Thanks wink x

• Posted

Hi Maggers.wish I had an answer for every one, and my self! Definitely try it, what have you to loose. I think each poster on here is like a little family in a way.we don't know each other but do understand more than those whose life is not effected by Fibro and we all have good and warm thoughts for each other.

i , like others have mention, have M.E, for many many yeRs but only recently diagnosed with Fibro, mainly because not listened to, what a surprise!. Only med tried so far was a prescribed anti histomenne which dud nithing fir pain but made me feel doped up and even worse attempts at sleep. Felt drugged and semi under but still awake. Binned them after five days but effect lasted a couple more.was worth the try though and see what doc comes up with next.

let us know how you get on..just do it in your stride .thinking if you.

• Posted

i found the best alternative treatment s for me were reflexolgy 

9/10 

and MCtimoney chiropracter 10/10 

hypnotherpy helps some people but takes some weeks .trial and error i amafraid 

• Posted

Thanks tizwas. I have a chiropractor is this similar to mctimoney?

reflexology sounds interesting. Will give it a go after the hypnotherapy.

• Posted

MCTIMONEY  works by ajusting the whole body and finishes with an all over massage ,i had a life when i was being treated ,started of twice weekly and got down to once every 3 months , i walked better slept better had less balance issues and less stomach issues .

stands to reason if everything is aligned it will work better . 

iv tried several chiropracters they tend to ajust one or two points and iv never found them to be very helpful in fact two of them hurt me very badly by by pushing down between my shoulders with out using the release mechanisum so the tabledid drop down i was in pain for weeks after treatments and hesitate to go back to one that isent a MC timoney 

reflexolgy much better for me than accupunture which i am having now 

my relexology lady retired and know one replaced her 

• Posted

Many thanks everyone. Got an email back from the therapist - ring to discuss further to see whether we can take it further (no charge for initial consult) so will definitely ring and find out.  Another night and sleep has not been possible so I am willing to try anything.
    • Posted

sounds like me iv tried so much and paid out so much i hate to think 

i know it  adds up to about 3 and half thousand including 2 very expensive beds 

• Posted

its excellant that she didnt charge you for the inital consultation 

you dont find that often iv always paid a frotune for first appointments

• Posted

Trouble is life gets expensive when we are seeking help - even if it is just parking the car at the hospital!  I have spent a fortune but it seems I have found someone who actually wants to make sure they can help before charging me anything - now that is a rare find.
    • Posted

certainly is  hun .

wish you good luck.

would be interested in hearing how you get on .

• Posted

Great news !

Hope you get positive feedback from your therapist.

Good Luck ! wink x

• Posted

Hi, all alternative therapies are valid. Have your read my post and dicussion on LDN? Have look and make some search online. If you're desperate it may be good for you to try it. Take care. 
    • Posted

Hi Teresa - Thanks for  your input.  I have a friend with MS who takes LDN.  If I don't get relief from the hypnotherapy may well try it.
    • Posted

How's she doing? I've been on it for only a little over 2 weeks. I think the pain level has decesed but I feel unsettled and also my sleep is unstable. 

Let me know. Cheers. All good to U. 

• Posted

I meant decreased redface
    • Posted

it works on the brain excitors this is why it disturbs your sleep pattern from what i read its the only side effect listed and it settles in time . 

i am asking  my doctor to try me on it .

its down to her decision as its not liscend for use with fibro ,

but i am hoping that as it cost just 82p a day she will consider trying me with it , off label . either with a NHS perscribtion or a private one .

the one thing that encourages me to try.

is, its safe to prescribe to pregnant women.

• Posted

Great! I hope sleep patterns will improve otherwise it's

a 2 edge sword. Congrats on your baby!

• Posted

please read posts correctly 

i never said i was pregnant ,i said ldn was safe to be prescribed to pregnant women .

so i would feel safe  trying  it . because of it being so

,if i could get my doctor to prescribe it .

• Posted

i would rather be awake and buzing then a sleep all the time i have been going thru weeks of fighting  fatigue driving me mad 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.