Hypothyroid and diabetes

Posted , 3 users are following.

Need help. I have hypothyrodism and diabetes type 2. I have had diabetes longer than hypo. I am on Glipizide 10mg twice daily. Then diagnosed with hypo almost 2 yrs ago and taking 50 mcg. Tsh has gone down to 2.67. My Blood Sugar though has gone sky high. I'm famished all the time, have put on weight, grave sugar and can't control myself. My BS is running in the 190's. Having A1C checked tomorrow and discuss taking a second type 2 medicine. I've tried Farziga and Januvia but scared of The Farziga and Januvia gives me horrible heartburn. Can't take Metformin either. I have doctor appt Monday. Please is there someone who has these 2 conditions out there and give me some different idea's of what combinations work for you. Please before I go see my Doctor. I already know levothyroxine interferes with effectiveness of Glipizide. Would appreciate any feedback.. I'm at my whits end. sad

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Valrae:

I have both low thyroid and Diabetes.  I am a nurse and live in USA. I have been Hypo since 1987 and Diabetic since 2002.

I take a pill called Glimepride 4 mg and I use a little insulin at lunch and dinner only. Januvia is dangerous, my brother  in-law took it and got sick. My A1C is 6.6 and has been good doing both pill and insulin

Some other pills are Metformin, Actos, Glimeperide, Glipizide.  you need to try doing what I do. Or ask doc if you can take a higher dose of the oral. You are right, it makes it hard for us, who have thyroid problems to control Blood sugar.

I take a 4 mg Glimepride in a.m. and use Novolog small amts at lunch and dinner.  Try it, you may find much better control.  I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Shelly. I'm so glad you answered. I've been depressed all day. I took BS this morning and was 206. NEVER have I had my BS be that high. I almost freaked out. I was wondering if it was possible to be on both pills and insulin. Like I said in my post I am taking Glipizide 10mg morning and another at dinner. It was working well then all of a sudden after starting thyroxine my BS started slowly climbing. So I read on Drugs.com that thyroxine decreases the effectiveness of this pill. I know I have to take a second Med and having a tough time finding another pill that doesn't make me sick. I will talk to my Doctor about your suggestion. Sounds great to me. I thank you so much for your information.
    • Posted

Well my reply I sent you is waiting to get moderated. I think it was because I mentioned a site. Anyway I was thanking you for responding to me and your advise makes sense to me as I've tried other pills and they all make me sick and have some kind of side effect. The Glipizide doesn't make me sick and I take 2 - 10mgs. One before breakfast and one before dinner.  I have read that thyroxine decreases the effectiveness of Glipizide. I will discuss this idea with my Doctor when I go to my appt on Monday. Once again, thank you so much.
    • Posted

Hello Valrae:  yes,  Thyroxine may interfere with the Glipizide at receptor sites in your intestines. I think that is why you are getting such high results.  Some drugs, some pain killers like Vicoden,  can screw up your blood sugar big time. The oral pill tells the pancreas to make more insulin and the thyroid med can interfere by blocking the absorption, so it can't do it's job well.  My doctor added the insulin and it worked so much better.  High stress can make your blood sugar rise also.  Ask the doctor for the insulin, I know lot's of people who take small amts. of insulin and also take an oral pill.  Keep in touch. Take Care.
  • Posted

Hello Valrae, You are welcome.  I know how hard it is to get the blood suagr in the right direction. As they say, "been there, done that."  I can tell you that Novolog is a very qucik working insulin and begins within 5 mins. of injection. The oral pills are 24 hours and tend to peak  at a later time so you may find your blood sugar is lower later and not when you need it for the meals. The best thing to do is to see when you spike and keep a log.  Bring it with you to the doctor's office.  You may only need a small amount of insulin at certain meals.  I also found that making lunch the bigger meal is working for me, and I make dinner light and I try to avoid eating after 8 p.m. Diabetes is a lot of trial and error and it is hard to regulate easily. There is a long acting insulin called Levemir, but you may not need that if you take the Novolog and oral Glipizide.  Glipizide is a good drug, and if it agrees with you -that is wonderful.  Ask MD for a bit of insulin, I think you may like the outcome. God Bless, let me know how you are doing.
  • Posted

I have had hypothyroidism for 2 years and been a diabeic for 10 years.  I take Metformin 1000 twice a day as well as Glipizide mg twice a day.  I have been on these two drugs for about 3 years.  I got my A1C results back and I am 10.  My BS yesterday morning was 220 after fasting for like 1 hours!  I had no idea that levothyroxine effected my glipizide.  I take a high dose of thyroxine at 2 tablets of 137 mcg daily.

They are talking about insulin.  I am a school bus driver and can not drive the bus if I am on insulin.  Got any ideas?  I need my job

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.