Hypothyroidism Questions

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, my name is Jennifer, I have hypothyroidism and was diagonosed in my 7th grade, I am in 10th grade right now and I have been wanting to join a branch in the army, I felt that National Guard would be a great idea, I would be close to home and get my college done all at the same time but I would have to be off of my medication to join in the force. Does anyone know of it being okay to be off of meds for a long period of time? PLEASE HELP ME!!! My dream is of being in the army and serving time, would love to hear responses from anyone who knows...

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hey Jennifer!

Are you positive you have to be off your medications? How underactive was your thyroid originally (TSH)? I went off of my medications for about a year or two in high school and it was pretty rough... I think it depends on how underactice your thyroid is. You should definitely talk to your doctor when you can smile

• Posted

Hello Anne, Yes my recruiter told me that I had to, I do not remember, I don't think they ever told me. My medication is 50 and I'm taking levothyroxine or something like that. Did anything bad happen to you?? I have to be off for a minimum of 10 weeks rolleyes Thank you so much tho!

• Posted

Nothing "bad" happened, I was just really lethargic and tired all the time and struggled in school and with athletics. I would just talk to your doctor. Your doctor may let you stop taking your meds now and then just monitor your levels with blood tests every few weeks or so.

• Posted

I am on meds and have been told I need to be on them for the rest of my life.  I don't think it is an optional treatment.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  I would suggest you ask you parents to take you to your dr. 

• Posted

Yeah I was told that too, but I guess we will see what happens, thanks for the help
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer, If you are on meds now, it will take a while to get off them. The only way to really know how you'll do without the meds is to try. You can't just go off them, you'll have to lower them slowly over time. Also, you'll need to try some natural supplements, and other treatments as well. You might want to consider a good naturopath. Ok, that's the best case. Also, you're on only 50mg, a relatively low dose. So that's promising. If you can get off the meds in advance and try some heavy duty outdoor exercises to see how you tolerate stress, you'll be able to make a more educated decision.

Thyroid disease, whether Hashimoto's or grave's is autoimmune disease. Diet becomes extremely important to maintain a healthy immune system. You'll learn about the immune system in biology class, if you haven't already.

The bad news is the reality that if you don't keep your body very strong and eat well, you are likely to have problems. Unfortunately, the military stresses the body in ways that we normally don't encounter.  Consider, are you willing to try for your dream, knowing that you may fail, or may need to give up to preserve your health? You won't know until you try going off the meds. But PLEASE! Work with a doctor and get regular blood tests to make sure you monitor as you go off. You might find in trying, that you can't.

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Thank you so much! I have been thinking that as well but I've always wanted so other peoples thoughts and inputs in it. I was on 25mg before for a long time but I recently got tests done and currently am off medication for about a week and have been feeling perfectly fine, but I agree, thank you again!

• Posted

You need to discuss this goal with your endocrinologist....perhaps as your body matures, your thyroid function will improve.

I would love for you to be in the National Guard...but if your thyroid was not functioning how would you be able to do this job if you are hypothyroidic?

I think you should hold onto this dream, and speak with your ohysicians. Be up front, very frank...the doc just might know how to help you make this dream come true....ny neighbor was a civilian assistant to a naval admiral, does this also sound interesting?

Is this to support yourself through college..private message me...I have some ideas, I want you to go to school...what are you thinking of for a major?

hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.