Hypothyroidism shrinking penis?

Posted , 3 users are following.

About 4 months ago I started noticing my flaccid penis was becoming smaller and thinner alarmingly. Last time I tested thyroid in 6/14 it was borderline low.just tested last week and it was very low.TSH appx 23! That is twenty-three not point twenty three.GP raised levothyroxine to 175 from 150.however just saw endroconolgist who thought it may be problem of absorbtion....of drug..and told me to take 150 /it alone and wait 4 hours before taking other supplements or medication and to retest in 6 weeks. Well question is have any men who are hypothyroid (I have had Hoshimotos disease since I was young ) noticed penis atrophy when thyroid levels have dipped very low.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michele, being female I can't answer your question! However it helps absorption if thyroid meds are taken an hour before food and 4 hours after food or other supplements. it sounds like you've got a good endocrinologist.
    • Posted

Yes that is what he said. I'm upset though since I noticed Slight improvement just within a week of dosage being raised..now rhe the endroconolgist wants to put it back down with changes in how it is taken.

Thanks for reply!

• Posted

I'm one of the people who poorly convert T4 to T3. I too found that on a higher dosage I felt a bit better. However it wasn't the answer. Think of it this way. If you are absorbing 50% of the available T4 then 50% of a higher figure, is more. To give an example (with figures picked out of the air), if you are taking 88mcg of thyroxine and absorb 50%, then 44mcg will be absorbed. If you are taking 120mcg and 50% is absorbed then 60mcg will be absorbed and you would feel an improvement. However the underlying mal-absorption problem still remains. In the meantime there is excess T4 in the blood stream and I'm not sure what that does. This is what happened to me (increasing the dose just to be able to function) and I blame it for my becoming allergic/intolerant to a very wide ranging set of foods. I have no evidence to prove it, however since I switched to natural desiccated thyroid (which contains T3 as well as T4) the allergies and intolerances are abating slightly. I also feel warmer, have lost weight, muscle weakness has gone, stiffness and shooting pains gave gone.

So I think your endocrinologist may have the right idea and you'll benefit in the long term. By taking the thyroid meds exactly as the endo says, any remaining mal-absorption can be attributed to your body's response to thyroxine, and not to how you are taking the meds. I have no medical qualifications but this is my understanding of it.

• Posted

Thank you.This has been a real nightmare. I started having great scrotum pain year and a half ago..with pelvic pain..then late August pain on left side of penis shaft..then more ED..then...horrible shrinking since then.I have some sort of prostate infection it appears. .causing the pain symptoms. My hope regarding shrinking of penis was when I found out last week TSH was indicating woefully low thyroid. Wondering if thyroid affects immune system strength?

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.