Hystectomy Recovery Advice

Posted , 6 users are following.

Evening girls I'm 14 days post op after a TAH can you girls talk me through your day on average! I'm struggling with swelling of my legs near both my ankles, I get up in a morning and potter for around 20-30 then sit for an hour I then take a little walk around 10-15 mins then rest for a few hours back up again another potter 20 mins then rest an hour then up for a little walk again then rest! Have a shower then bed around 10ish.... just questioning if I am exceeding enough or need to do more or less :-)

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hun . When you are in bed trying sleeping with a pillow under your legs so they are lifted. And remb not to cross your legs. I started having little walks round my garden 14 days post to get some fresh air . And did what you are doing little walks around your house and a few up the stairs Also if you are finding them uncomfortable have a word with your doc. Take care xx
  • Posted

Hi, Karen,

I think you're doing well if you're not pushing yourself. Pottering around is good, but don't overdo, or set yourself a schedule.  Just do what you feel like doing. Remember that your outside stitches will heal faster than your inside stitches.  Inside stitches can take up to 6 months or more, depending on your age and how healthy you are.  

When you rest, put your feet up.  You could also get yourself some support stockings.  Everyone heals and returns to normal activity at different rates!

Best of luck!  Let me know how you do.  

• Posted

I think what you are doing is about right.  You can now do some pelvic floor exercises, do 10 to start off with twice a day, and then graduate to 3 times a day after a couple of weeks.  I went for a walk around the shops after about 3 weeks, with a sit down and a cup of coffee in between.  I don't mean go shopping, just a bit of window shopping for half an hour and a coffee.  Take your time, don't rush things.  You could get some support stockings, the sort you wear for travelling which may help with the swelling and put your feet up in the afternoons.  After about 6 weeks I had a longer walk round our park with hubby and the dog and graduated to doing the dusting and a bit of ironing.  I had my 9 week check up last week and was told not to do any vacuuming until 12 weeks have passed, but I can now go swimming again.  Hope this is of some help to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.