hysterectomy, 3 weeks post op.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 3 weeks post op from hysterectomy key hole. Is it normal to still have bruising. I have really bad bruising around my belly button. My stitches have not dissolved yet. Feeling really tender today aswell. How long after having a hysterectomy did people go back to work ??

Thank you for your help.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes you will find you get sore for a while I still feel sitches pulling every so often and I had mine last Nov don't go to work till eight weeks is up is the normal depends what job you do

• Posted

Thanks caroline. I work with pre school children, and I dont see my consultant until 9 weeks post op, so looks like I may have to go to my drs for another sick note.

Kind regards .

• Posted

Hi. Your GP will extend your sick note to when you feel ready to go back. Everyone heals differently. I never had bruising around my belly button scars and stitches took a while to drop out. Can't remember when exactly. Tenderness is to be expected if you think of what they have done. Even though through small incisions it's still a big op. You can't drive for 6 wks. Most insurances won't cover you in a accident before then. Just take it easy and rest. Small walks are ok and gradually increase but listen to your body big pained or tender. That's a warning to slow down.

I work in a primary school for special needs. It's really tough going back. But I also has A&P repairs and tvt so my healing has been much longer. Had my op in April and just went back in sept and it's killing me. I've developed a pain that I struggle to do my job as bending causes pain to worsen. So I have been re referred to hospital. Good luck. X

• Posted

Thank you Fi-45, sorry to hear you are still 100% after your operation. I will make any appointment with my Drs and have a chat with them.

Hope you start to feel better soon x

• Posted

HI, Tracy.  It's normal to have bruising.  Some of the blood has to move through your tissues.  Your external stitches won't dissolve until at least 6 weeks after the surgery, sometimes it takes longer. Your internal workings can take six months or more to heal. As for going back to work, it depends.  I didn't start to feel like myself till 8 weeks afterwards.  It is major surgery, after all.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Some days I feel ok and other days I feel completely wiped out. X
    • Posted

You're welcome!  I completely understand.  Also, there's the emotional stuff to go through.  I am 67.  I got diagnosed with endometrial cancer, so there was that scary part.  Fortunately for me my uterus was very small, according to the doctor, all my bits fit in the palm of his hand.  So my intestines and bladder have settled nicely.  I am trying to get to the point where I can start walking.  Usually, I just try to "amble" during the day around the house and garden, some days I'm more active than others.  But, I think as my outlook improves, my activity will, too.  I breathed a sigh of relief once out of surgery, but realistically, it's just the beginning of coming to terms with the "new you."  

My best to you, and let me know how you get on! xx 

• Posted

I went in for my hysterectomy because they found a cyst but after having surgery I was informed by the surgeon that they found endometriosis which was removed. I didn't think endometriosis was cancerous? . I am 44 years old so going to go through the change early. How long ago did you have your operation? X

• Posted

Hi, Tracy,

Normally, endometriosis isn't cancerous.  But when it grows excessively, the cells can mutate and become cancerous. I had plenty of estrogen feeding its growth, but not created by my ovaries; by my fat cells.  I lost 35 pounds last year, and then got diagnosed in July of this year.  Had my op on July 18. 

I went into early menopause at 40, due to a thyroid condition.  Was on HRT for only about 10-12 years.  Stopped it.  I'm 67 now.

xx

• Posted

Hi Tracey,

I'm returning to work next Monday, having had surgery 27th June. My tummy is still tender at times so I expect you've a long way to go before that sensation ceases. You'll probably also still suffer fatigue and there's also the emotional trauma. Your body will tell you when you've overdone it and at 3 weeks post op you're a long way off returning to work. Please don't rush anything, as everyone who has replied has said this is major surgery. I hope you're doing nothing more than short walks and making yourself the odd cup of tea.

Please do take care xxx

• Posted

Hi Wendy. Glad to hear you are feeling better and returning to work. I go for short walks and have a walk around the house. I know I have a long way to go yet and will go through a lot of things. I have lost weight as where I can't eat much at the moment.

Thank you for messaging me .

Please let me know how you get on xx

Take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.