Hysterectomy advice on recovery and travel

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi!

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice! I am waiting for a full hysterectomy - and waiting times being as they are - it will probably be in about 12 weeks - this will take me to mid April. I have a holiday booked for mid June - but it would mean a 7 hour car journey from home to go there. I am thinking this will be too soon - I am a good healer - but I know this is a major op - and have been told because of the size of my uterus and fibriods attached that I will be having an abdominal cut. Should I cancel my holiday now - or chance that i might be alright? 

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Hun I thought I would bounce back and everyone recovers differently but I'm 11 weeks and probably need another 2 weeks before I return to work! I've struggled a bit with my mental state and only being 39 and hitting the menopause early with HRT has probably had an impact on me :-( all I will say is don't underestimate how big this op is! No driving or lifting anything heavy for 6 weeks at least good luck Hun xx

• Posted

Ps I've had a full abdominal cut hystectomy :-)

• Posted

Thanks Karen,

I am thinking will be too soon. We were going to share the driving - so I don't think we will be able to make it!

• Posted

Well it depends on what you are doing on holiday if you are having a relaxing holiday you should be ok as it takes about six to eight weeks to get back to normal I went back to work after eight weeks though I had a very good surgeon all the best
    • Posted

Thanks Caroline,

Would be relaxing - but I think because we were going to share the driving duites it will be too much. We booked not knowing I would need this operation - otherwise we would not have bothered until I was recovered.

• Posted

Hi, Glennie,

How you recover depends on your age and overall physical condition.  Your external stitches can take 6-8 weeks to heal, but internal stitches (with an uncomplicated operation, such as the one with the small incisions) take longer--6 to 8 months. So, it might be longer with an abdominal incision, which you'll need to be particularly careful with.

You will need to be careful about moving, cleaning, lifting, etc. for that time.  Also, as Karen pointed out, this surgery will push you into complete menopause with the associated discomforts, so it will take time for you to find an equilibrium, including with your diet.

My idea of a holiday is that I will be travelling and moving without being uncomfortable or having any anxiety about the way I eat or eliminate.  I want to eat what I want and go where I want and be relaxed.  Frankly, I think you'd be taking a chance--and may not be able to thoroughly enjoy yourself!

Hope this helps!xx  

• Posted

Thanks Lynda,

Not so worried about the menopause - as I actually went through this at 30 - I have already had 1 ovary removed at 28 as an emergency op - and I was up and about within 6 weeks - I did have a fairly large incision then - but i was younger! The other ovary failed - so I was eventually put on HRT after full blown menopause for about 6-7 months! Not relishing the idea - am told I will be put on another form of HRT post-op though. I am gonna cancel my trip now - it was booked ages ago - when I didn't know about the operation. 

Will try and find somewhere that's warm in the winter when I am fixed :-)

Thanks!

• Posted

It's difficult at any age. Took me a long time to come to terms with it. Hugs!

• Posted

That's true I had mine in Nov 2015 the same year my dad died it's difficult to come to terms with but worth it for your health

• Posted

I need it - no other alternative to sort my health issues. Sad you lost your Dad too - I just lost my Mum 5 months ago - miss her - but she would be the first one to say 'get sorted and live life to the full!' xx

• Posted

That's true nothing can make up for their loss just get your health sorted la life's too short to worry

• Posted

Please do let me know how you get on, especially when you get your surgery date!  smile

• Posted

Thanks. Will let you know when I know - have to get the pre-op date first though! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.