Hysterectomy Booked :-(

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, I'm looking for advice, people's experience and a bit of an understanding on what to expect... total hysterectomy due on the 11th November, removal by abdomin. Have adenomyosis, endometriosis, polycystic ovaries, pelvic pain :-( been on the menopause induced injection for 4 months and have been taking a low dies of HRT for the same amount of time 2.5 livial. Any advise would be greatly appreciated :-) for example will I have staples in my stomach? Do they hurt when taken out, does the indwelling catheter hurt when removed? What does the pain feel like when you come round, how soon should you take a walk and for how long? Did anyone have injections to thin blood what are they like? Can you tell I'm anxious :-)

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi funny I had mine on Nov 12 last year there is no need to worry as the ditches will be dissolvable you need to rest as much as possible I found I was in a lot of pain the first week I was at home but took pain killers they gave me and some stronger ones to ease it if I needed you can just take small walks about ten minutes a day and more gradually no housework let your other half do everything and don't go back to work for about eight weeks

• Posted

Hi karen i am 4weeks in recovery after my full hysterectamy,i had dissovable stitches and a drain which when it was fetched out i didnt feel, i had a catheter as well and didnt feel that been fetched out, you will have injections in your tummie to stop clots but they never hurt, and when your in hospitail and when you home you will have to wear these white knee socks for 6 weeks to stop clots,you will be fine, just ask for some peppermint as well it will help with wind, i also rocked my knees slowely from side to side on the bed , it helps with wind as well, i just had a acheing pain a bit like a period but slightly more, but trust me if i can get through it anyone can,good luck hope all goes well.
  • Posted

Hi karen again, dont do a thing as well when you come out as i found the first 2 weeks you will be in some pain, im not going to lie,but it gets better as weeks go on, your brave finding out what to expect as i never could, im still in some pain but not as bad, and still windy some days and some sickness feeling days as well, hope all this helps.
  • Posted

Hello Karen, my oldest daughter's name is Karen, in reguards to the total hysterectomy.I am 59 years old, and I had a complete hysterectomy on July 18th of this year.I had  lots of staples and several layers of stiches  from the top of my stomach to the bottom, the staples were uncomfortable , but mine  were removed 10 days later,  No it did not hurt when they were removed. Yes the catheter hurts  when removed but it comes out very fast  "Seconds",I wouldn't worry about that ..It is pretty tough getting up & down for a few weeks , but it gets easier  each day, I would say you are back to normal at 8 weeks. Be careful not to lift anything heavy, it is hard to lift and bend  for a few weeks,I busted stitches at the top of my stomach,left a bad scar, bottom healed nicely.. Unfortunly I was shocked to find out I had a rare form of Carsonima, it was in the 3rd stage and I wasn't even sick.They think they got it all,I go back Oct 26 to make sure it hasn't come back..I had no chemo, or radiation as there is no cure for the type of cancer I had.. So I am praying all goes well on the 26th for me . I have a good doctor, and the hospital stay was just over night just get lots of rest and follow your doctor's instructions and you should do fine...They should give you instrutions as of  do's and don'ts.. Just try not worry ....Pray everthing goes well for you..

• Posted

7 weeks post op total abdominal hysterectomy and removal of ovaries. I had blood thinning jabs for 4 weeks they sting a tiny bit but better that than having blood clot. Anti embolus stockings and dissolvable stitches . In hospital 4 nights. It was a bit sore once they took catheter out because of swelling inside but pain control is so important. I fasted for 24 hours pre op because I didn't want worry of constipation post op and that really helped. I also drank a good amount of clear fluid post op and very small diet . Please please don't lift stretch of bend for 6 weeks post op this is vital . I have now got a femoral hernia because I lifted a shopping bag 3 weeks post op I completely forgot myself. Now I am suffering and need further surgery. Don't be scared just remain positive and be patient with yourself . Good luck

• Posted

Thank you so much!!! I feel so much better :-) positive posts :-) I will take note of everything you have advised :-) dreading it and mostly scared of the needles/cannula believe it or not :-) I'm fretting about the school run but will pull on school mums and the other half will need to unpacked the shopping for a change lol

Again thank you for all your advice it means a lot x

• Posted

Hi karen,

Im 6 weeks post abdominal total hysterectomy.. I had severe adhesions removed also from bowel and bladder.

I was very anxious prior to the op and think i read too much that made me even worse.

After the op it was quite sore but they gave me a personal pain relief button which you use when needed but cant overdose on for 24hrs.

I stayed in for 3 nights and that first time they get you out of bed which was the day after for me was quite uncomfortable but it had to be done.

My stiches where dissolvable, but keep this area dry after washing.?

Make sure you get plenty of rest when home and listen to your body, it certainly lets you know when you overdo it.

My son stayed off work with me for first 2 weeks which i was so appreciative of, and im usually very independent but i needed someone to help..

Im struggling now as had my remaining ovary removed when having my hysterectomy and its thrown me straight into the menopause so im not feeling too good at the min but awaiting to see my gp now with regards to HRT and whether i should go on it.

My best buy was my 2 v neck pillows,one of which i used in bed at night to support my tummy as i sleep on my side and my grabber for picking things up off the floor so not having to bend all the time.

Good luck and make sure you take care of you......

• Posted

Almost forgot, make sure you stock up on wind relief tabs, i suffered with this quite badly and the tabs were a godsend!!
    • Posted

Thank you so much for the tips, V Pillow and grabber on my list as well as peppermint a land wind relief tablets :-) go on the HRT I've been on it for 4 months now and it's really evened me out not to mention better skin, thik hair and a lot more happier in myself :-) hope the GP sorts you out smile x

• Posted

Hi Karen,you will be fine trust me.I had my total abdominal hysterectomy at the end of January,i went back to work as a Staff Nurse about 4 months post op.I had dissolvable stitches so nothing to remove after.The catheter doesnt hurt coming out,mine came out the eveing after the surgery.When i came round from the op i was comfortable but drowsy,i had PCA(patient controlled analgesia)basically it is a pump which you dicatate how often you get pain relief by pressing a small button,you cant overdose by the way cos there is a timeout control on it to stop you administering too much morphine...lol.This was removed the day after surgery and all i was given thereafter was Paracetemol.It will hurt the first time you get out of bed,remember they will have cut through your stomach muscles to do the op,but this will get easier the more you become mobile.I was encouraged to walk up and down the ward on the second day post op,it will lessen complications of DVT etc,move about as much as you can but dont over tire yourself.I had the blood thinning injections whilst in the hospital but not when i came out.I had to wear the surgical stockings for 6 weeks though.I would reccommend you buy some peppermint capsules or water as i got really bad wind pains post op.The physio told me what i could and couldnt do before i was discharged.Basically no hoovering,no mopping,no over stretching,no pushing shopping trolley or carrying roasting tin with joint in it..for example.I was in hospital for 5 nights but i did go in the night before my op,so 4 really....as i say,i am fine now,back at work,feel great,am on Hrt.Good luck Karen xx
    • Posted

Thank you for this injection of positivity and a great understanding into what I can except I really appreciate it :-) I was told I would have the morphine on a pump to start :-) I should imagine that will help :-) I'm a big softy when it comes to needles but I will get over it should imagine my tummy will be hurting I won't even know about the blood thinning needles lol glad you feel great I'm so looking forward to getting my life back :-) xx

• Posted

They usually only use staples if you are overweight. Just tell the staff as soon as you feel pain & they will give you medication to keep on top of it. Better to hit pain on head early on than wait till it's bad. Catheters don't hurt. Just feels weird while in and feels like a tampon when coming out. The staff in hospital will get you up when they know it's ok to. Then ask them how mobile you need to be after discharge. There's a useful attachment on Gynae homepage here called "Useful Resources".

• Posted

hii karen again , dont get worrieing im a bit over weight and they used dissovable stitches not staples , you will be given a button so you can have morphin for pain, ive not gone on hrt yet my consultant and doctor said seehow i go in the 6 weeks,my skin is getting greesy now and had a few spots in the last 4 weeks im going hot on and off , but im not sure i want to go on hrt , my mom never had it 30 odd years ago, she said she was ok , but did have flushes , so im going to try and do with out for as long as i can.
  • Posted

Funnily enough, even though I am a nurse and work on gynae I was still nervous so don't think that you are unusual.

• Posted

HI joy i dont know what to do about hrt , my consultant said i will be on a low dose and i stop taking them after 5 years , i am 46 but scared to go on them, have you any advise what to do , thank you
    • Posted

Hi loulou,

I am in the same position.

Im due at my gps 6 months post op this Monday for a review on how much longer i will need off and HRT.

I really dont know what to do, but im so exhausted and not sleeping...plus awful nausea and hot flushes which i was hoping would pass...

I started driving again today and only nipped out for an hour and im totally shattered, which is not like me as im always on the go.

Just dont know whether to take hrt or not...

??

• Posted

HI zoe just the same symptoms as me the nausea as well , my hubby as just come back with more sleeping tablets of my doctor, but i think ill see what he says when i go back in 2weeks for my 6 weeks check and another sick note, dont know what to do .,thanks for getting back to me .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.