Hysterectomy;Pain between shoulder blades, neck, lower back

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi sisters ,

I am 11 months post op TAH, stage 1a cancer, removed all except ovaries. Had been suffering pain between shoulder blades , center of neck spine and lower back (sometimes with slight inflammation) since after surgery. Blood pressure was also alleviated due to these pain. Tried acupuncture, body massage, yoga but that offer temporary relief only. Any recommendations to ease these pains? Understand that hysterectomy may weakens or compromise our spine support due to severed ligaments or i called it as removal of strong scaffolding support of our skeleton. Any suggestions from members on how to strengthen our lower back and spine? Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue.

I have found that my Pilates class has helped me with my backaches and shoulder pains. Try and find a Body Control Pilates teacher as this is less strenuous and focuses on posture and building body strength. It is boring but I always feel better after a session!

Good luck, hope you find something to help soon x

• Posted

Hi Maisie,

Thanks for your reply and great piece of suggestion. 2 months back, I started going to yoga classes. I could feel that my core abdominal muscles are still quite weak as I can't hold certain poses without a shaky hand or leg😢. I can feel sharp abdominal and pelvic muscles pulling sensation with certain yoga poses in which I don't felt anything before surgery....Pilates would need a strong core muscles to begin with. How or when you started practicing Pilates after surgery? I will google body control Pilates to find out more

• Posted

Hi Sue, I haven't had surgery, I've been offered hysterectomy for fibroids and heavy bleeding but I'm still considering it and following others who have. I'm nervous about it.

I started Pilates to help with shoulder and neck pain and lower back ache, brought on I think from carrying grandchildren amongst other things.

I found a great teacher and did a beginners class first who began by teaching how to engage the pelvic floor muscles and then the tummy muscles. She doesn't let anyone do too much and ensure this is done correctly before moving on. Lynn Robinson (body control pilates) does online videos if you want to look at that first.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.