Hysterectomy.... Surgery date set....I am so nervous

Posted , 8 users are following.

My surgery date has been set for October 7 and I am a nervous wreck. I am extremely overweight and so worried about complications during and after surgery. I have high blood pressure and anxiety. I went to my primary Dr and got a medical clearance for surgery and all my blood work was fine except for my WBC which is a little elevated. Has anyone been in my shoes ?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try not to worry I was nervous as hell last year in Nov but all the worry was for nothing you'll wonder what you worried about I had a very good surgeon I'm sure you'll be fine all the ladies on here will support you keep busy and don't worry

• Posted

I know I was the same I used to say to my husband I won't be here for Xmas I was that worried what a silly woman I was

• Posted

I told my husband the same thing and he said *yes you will be here and the surgery will go faster than you think cause you will be asleep so stop worrying * but I can't help but worry cause of my weight issue

• Posted

Hi Michelle I had my op on 17/9 and I had acupuncture which helped with the panic attacks I got in the night in the run up to the op. It helped me to get calm and focus on preparing myself on the relief I now feel post op. You have to almost withdraw into yourself and focus on how much better you will feel once it's done. Don't get frightened about other people's stories. We are all different. You have to be positive. My consultant on the day was excellent. She moved her list round and I went first to minimise the chance of me panicking. Once I got to hospital the nerves stopped and I was in their hands. Talk about it with friends if it helps and prepare your home (put things on higher levels so you can reach). Get stocked up on food, try out online shopping, someone to do ironing etc. Also helpful when packing your hospital bag to make up a small bag of essentials like a lip moisturiser, tissues, travel clock, as you won't be able to reach things from your bag straight away! Be brave you can do it!

• Posted

Thanks Sarah that helped a lot. My oncologist said they can give me something to relax and calm down if I need it when I get to hospital and I am sure I will need it
    • Posted

That's good - take whatever help you are offered to get through this. You may find your lose weight in hospital or after surgery so treat that as an opportunity to start a new eating regime. Fruit and veg are pretty essential or your body won't work properly (I'm on laxatives!!). Keep posting on here and everyone will do their best to reassure you. In the meantime go out and buy yourself some new nightwear and slippers x

• Posted

Hi,  Please don't worry. A lot of the fears about aneasthetics are based on old information and things that used to happen.  Aneasthetics these days are far more advanced and tailored to individual needs.  You would not get the go ahead to have one if they thought there would be any problems.  This is why they do all the checks before hand.  If it was a real concern you would have been offered epidural operation.  I too have similar problems and was totally fine for my operation as I am sure you will be.   

• Posted

I know I shouldn't worry but I am not that active right now cause of the chronic dizziness that I have everyday so I don't exercise much just some ocassional walking

• Posted

Hi Michele,

This is Pam, aka the original worry wart!  I think I told you about me being overweight also.  I didnt have any after complications, I also have high blood pressure and anxiety disorder.  I was given something to take for the anxiety.  You can call your primaray doctor, I am sure she will give you something to get thru this nerve wracking time.  I know no matter what anyone tells you not to worry you will be fine, doesnt help, you still worry.  Please keep us posted how you are doing and if you need to vent or have questions we are here for you. You also have my email if you need it.

• Posted

Hello Pam. How are you ? I know you told me I just keep thinking about it and what could happen and I start worrying. I am sure everything will go well I just read other stories and of course I Google everything so that don't help either

• Posted

Hi I had my TAH June 2015 I was 62 and had the lot taken away. I am diabetic and have heart failure and overweight when I had my op I was 21 st. The surgeon explained to me that because of being overweight and diab

etic I would have a problem with the healing process and infections but they could deal with that. The anethisist came on the morning of my op and explained all that would be happening and put me at ease. My blood preasure dropped slightly and I was dehydrated but everyt

hing went ok and I was monitored ever hour. I had no p

ain and was home in 5 days. I wont tell you any lies, I did have to have it dressed every day for 3 mths and had 4 infections but nothing that inconvenient me. My advice to you is to except anything they offer you listen to what they tell you and although you didnt say why you were having it done in my case it was cancerous cells so afer 3 radiation treatments I have had no side affects and am up and running again. I know its a bit scary but it is now a very common operation . When you go in hospital take nighties , plenty of mags, a few cereal bars to snack on and most of all peppermint oil capsules .most people get terrible wind and bloating. And GOOD LUCK not that you will need it .

• Posted

Thanks Susan . I was diagnosed with stage 1 endometrial cancer 2 weeks ago and have to have a total hysterectomy. I have had 4 c-sections as well so that worries me too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.