Hysterectomy (vaginal)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone else had this procedure done with spinal anaesthetic? Seems best option for me but I'm a bit worried I might be aware of what's going on (sounds etc).  Getting nervous now!

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had the option but decided on general as I was told they are rather rough and noisy so I was completely out for the 15 minutes it took! Best of luck to you, I never looked back!
    • Posted

Thanks for that.  I'm a bit worried about the noise etc.  Think it might be best to be knocked out! I'll be glad when it's done and looking forward to better health in a couple of months

• Posted

I'm sure your anaesthetist will also offer some sedation also so that you're relaxed and not caring about noise etc. They don't use a chainsaw so not sure what the noise you're worried about is? I've worked in theatres & orthopaedic surgery may use saws and drills etc. depending on what surgery, but yours, not convinced there will be disturbing noise.

• Posted

I think you will be offered what they call 'consious sedation' (sorry don't think I spelled that right), My ex husband had a knee replacement done the same way, he was really worried beforehand but he remembers nothing about his op at all. I had a spinal block but also had a GA for a vaginal hyst, speak to your consultant and or the anaesthetist and tell them your concerns.

Phoebe.

• Posted

OOPS sorry, didn't relise you were having your op today, hope all went well for you.

Phoebe.

• Posted

Hi I had a light  general and a spinal it was fantastic I woke up feling amazing as  being light no groggy feeling sickness etc and due to the spinal no pain for the first couple of hours then just the normal pain relif. For me it was amazing 
  • Posted

Thanks for all the comments.  I chose the spinal option in the end with sedation.  I was kind of aware but it was fine - there was music and the anaethetist was lovely and kept talking to me! It was a long op (3 hours).  Didn't feel too bad immediately afterwards but struggled with sickness the next day. Anyway back home after a couple of nights in hospital and moving around, slowly getting back to normal and taking it easy!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.