I am 12 weeks out from total knee replacement. Still having sleep issues.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Thought I had seen several of you post earlier that you were dealing with the same thing.  I remember someone else saying 12 weeks was there big turning point when they started sleeping better than ever.  Just need some encouragement here.  Anyone having similar problems still at 12 weeks out from TKR?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am just three months out and most of the sleep issues have been gone for about 3 or 4 weeks.  I do occasionally have a twinge which will wake me up enough to need to move my leg but that is happening less and less.  I know some people on this forum have had problems for many weeks so my guess is it how you personally are healing.  Cathy
  • Posted

I'm 8 weeks post op TKR and lateral repair. Sleeping has become worse rather than better. Physio suggested that as the numbness was going I was beginning to deal more !! Struggle to find a comfortable sleeping position and am back to taking co codymol at night. I'm still not back at rifle do am able to nap during Positive though my bend is 110 and the swelling reducing daily.

Looking forward to the magic 12 week !! Hope your recovery continues

• Posted

Hi Gary l am 15 wks post op still have slight sleeping issues ,l can now turn on my side so that is more comfortable.my sleeping was going in the right position at 13 wks it all takes time unfortunately  l am still on painkillers too, take care keep posting 
    • Posted

Thanks blingbling!!!  I have been off pain killers for several weeks now.  I am trying to learn patience.  It has been very difficult since I am a pretty active person.  I hope your recovery continues to go well!!
  • Posted

Hi Gary,

I'm 7 months from 1st replacement and about 4 months from second.  My first knee is actually doing really well but I am just now getting to the point of sleeping better with my second knee.  I am a side sleeper and I hate the feeling of one knee on top of the other so it is disruptive.  Hang in there!  At 12 weeks I thought I should be so much better and just when I thought something was really wrong and I should call the doctor, things started to get better.  Time of healing is different for everyone but I'm sure you'll get there soon!  It helps me to know that alot of people say it takes a year!

• Posted

Thanks for the encouragement Retha!!  It gets really depressing at times.  If I could just get the sleep issue resolved, I can handle the other.
    • Posted

Yes, I get it!  I quit all pain killers at 3 weeks but around 6 - 7 weeks I started taking motrin just to take the edge off!  I take them before I go to bed at night and maybe that has helped me some.  I don't do the PM's because I feel too groggy the next day but a little anti-inflammatory seems to help!
  • Posted

Gary,

i am 10 weeks po.  I am off the pain meds.  I have had several nights earlier this week I did not sleep well....waking uncomfortable....no real pain....just uncomfortable.  Had a very smart lady on here say.....let this wash over your body and relax....then slowly move a bit to comfy position...and you will drift right back off.  This works....I breathe in thru nose out thru mouth a few times and relax.  

Pam

• Posted

I am over 1 year after one TKR and still have sleep problems.  But I think it comes with my age.  LOL

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.