I am 5 wks after partial knee replacement knee feels really tight and swollen

Posted , 70 users are following.

I thought I was doing OK after 5 wks following partial knee replacement, I have been back at work driving 50 miles each way after 4 days knee has got quite painful again so back on the codeine. Is it common to have set backs when it gets more painful again before getting better again.

Any comments appreciated,

Thanks

3 likes, 158 replies

158 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,  I'm now 10wks postop after total knee replacement, I've been driving 4wks and back at for 3wks I have found the knee has got really painful over the past couple of weeks I've been using voltorol cream  rubbed in three times a day to try and help, but I've just booked a gp appointment to get it checked .  As its swelling so much at the end of the day.  I expected some response from my knee after so many weeks being able to elevate and ice when I wanted.   My knee is really noisy  and im still having to use a stick outside or when walking long distances. Just for stability, can't yet walk up,or down stairs normally!!
    • Posted

I'm on my 2nd replacement in 5 months. The PT guy says I'm doing great. My first knee is feeling a little pain because of using it more. I went back to work after 5 weeks I think it was a little soon. So this time I will stay out longer. My second knee is stiff in the morning but once I get it going it's better. I get a good bend on both knees and thy  are both flat when I had them measured. Jason my PT man really pushed me so I only have 1 day per week now. 

• Posted

I think so... I had a TKR   some days I think I'm turning a corner.... but next feel bad.... spasms and pain... think its just going to be a long haul.... well done for getting back to work. .. although my advice would be don't push yourself. .. good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Robert

im almost 5 weeks into my second TKR but 7 months into my first and yes I can tell you it's a long road. Bad days outweigh the good days for about 5 months. One has to go back to work so one does but it isn't easy and although people think you are ok you really are not. Yes swelling numbness aches stiffness goes on for ages. I'm giving each of mine 12 months and hoping all symptoms will go by then but maybe not. Sorry for the bad news but patience is a virtue in this case and don't forget if you are like me you have gone from being a bit of a couch potato for about 4 weeks to using the leg and it is still quite traumatised and probably not able to cope with normal activity yet. 

• Posted

sums me up Gloria. ... wow you have had both knees done.... I don't know how you manage... I am struggling with one..... best of luck with your rehab. .. take care.... Mary 
    • Posted

I agree with you Gloria, it's very likely you will still be getting pain at this early stage, Robert,  especially after returning to normal activity. Hopefully, as you've had a partial replacement your recovery won't take so long. I'm 12 weeks now and still getting pain in the leg when walking and standing for any length of time. Everyone is different but I like to hear encouraging words like yours, Gloria, that things improved after 5 months. It gives me some hope! Good luck with the recovery of your 2nd knee. Jen 
    • Posted

there's always a funny side Mary. I had to have the second because of no cartlidge in both but the strange part after the first was that I was lopsided. Imagine a good wad of cartlidge in one but not the other. I had to put inserts into my shoe so I didn't drop on one side each time I walked. But now I'm even yeah! Lol
    • Posted

hi jennifer ... fyi: at one point my surgeon thought my op would only be partial (we ended up doing a total) but he told me at the time that the recuperation would be exactly the same thing, partial or total.

i did something really silly yesterday: i got my little toe caught on the leg of my chair and the reaction on my whole leg was really ... urghhhhh! i then went to physio so not sure if it was doing harder exercises or jarring my whole leg but i now have a pain with every step. and it has gone stiffer (was up to 105 but last night 90 was the max again). lots of swearing went on last night in my despair! who needs setbacks at this stage???

• Posted

I think we have to stay positive Jen. It's a really hard road to recovery and because only those who have had it done really understand it would be very easy to sink into despair. But I just try to notice little improvements as they happen. For example I noticed that the time between medicating for my second knee has now extended , that was about week 4, I've noticed that a couple of darker patches on my scar of the first have lightened. But it is difficult isn't it?
    • Posted

you and me both ... i shudder at the thought of going in again. i pray every day that my left knee holds up!
    • Posted

I sympathise, Britta. Even without doing anything obvious I seem to get setbacks. One day, I think I'm better then the next it's back where it was again and I struggle to analyse why. I keep saying I don't mind as long as it gets better eventually but there's always that fear that I'll be stuck like this for ever! That's why I depend on this site for reassuring comments of progress further along the road. Hope you get a better day today 😊 Jen
    • Posted

You're so right about keeping positive, Gloria. I try too. I have to walk down a hill from my house and I find that is the worse. I think it's slightly less painful now than it was 2 weeks ago. I long for the day I can stride down comfortably though 😊 I study my scar too. It's still red and bumpy but there are gaps developing between the bumps and I try to measure them. I tell myself if it's taking so long to heal on the outside it must be the same inside. I sympathise with you having the 2nd one done but you must have had no choice and at least you know what to expect with the 2nd. Take care. Jen
    • Posted

I know what you mean about fearing this is as good as it gets.... when I'm having a good day I'm so pleased   and upbeat... positive... Then muscle spasms come along and spoil it.... I am trying to be patient but it's not easy   glad to be able to chat to fellow knee patients. 
    • Posted

You sound just like me, Mary. I saw my physio at knee class yesterday and she got another physio to look at me individually. He said my hamstring muscle is weak and has given me a specific exercise to try to strengthen it. They both assured me my ROM is really good and I'm to see the class physio one to one next time and not bother with the class. It made me feel better that there is a reason for the pain I'm getting and that I can do something about it. Do you see a physio still? Might be worth asking about the muscle spasms you're getting. Needless to say, I'm feeling positive today. Will it last? 😊😊  I'll keep you posted. Jen 
    • Posted

Hi

I'm almost four months into my second partial knee replacement and and I'm baffled because my thigh muscles hurt so much they are throbbing. My first replacement was almost two years ago June and is great. My left knee is just a pain. I know things take time but at four months should t the muscles be reconnected? Range of motion is good

Thanks guys

Suzanne

• Posted

Hello, I am so glad I found this site. I have been so miserable since my first knee replacement. On May 10, 2017 I had my right knee replacement. On July 14, 2017 I had my left knee replacement. I am having muscle spasms and my hamstring seems to have swelling possible due to inflammation. So they are really stiff.I still don't sleep well maybe one to 3 hours of sleep for the past 4 months. I have taken several pain medications I.e. tramodol, Norcol, Oxycodone, hydrocodone, aleeve and Iuprofen. These medication gave me severe constipation but did not target the pain. Both knees are in pain and spasms. The good part is the PT has gotten my knees to been to a degree of 105. I have been depressed because I was not prepared for the pain and spasms, sleepless night, medicated mine. Now  I have found this site and read that I am not alone and that I must have patience because it is going to take at least a year or more. It sounds like you are doing very well. Please let me know when it is better.  Thank you !!!

• Posted

So glad to read this. I had a partial September 26 and I just keep wondering if its ever gonna feel normal. I know I’m still swollen but its mentally taxing. I’ve done well so far Last therapy I had 130 degrees bend but then the next day or ya step wrong it just feels awful. I’m pretty young to have had this surgery but some days it just wears me out and I feel useless. It was great to read the comments of so many people and that gives me hope and tells me quit worrying and be patient. 
    • Posted

I am also glad to find the site. And I am glad for voice typing I'm so tired of trying to type with my finger. on November 6th that will be 6 weeks since my total knee replacement on my left knee the surgeon has said that if I can't get to a hundred degrees then he will have to go in under anesthesia and manually manipulate the knee. I am depressed this morning we be since last night seem like the pain and swelling got worse yesterday after I did some swinging exercises that the physio advised I am walking without a cane I can drive I've been driving now for a week. I'm almost to 100 degrees I was 91 degrees on Tuesday with the physio I am scared to go back in and let the surgeon do the manual manipulation makes me weepy and tired. it is good to read that other people having similar problem .I think like you said that a lot of people just don't understand how hard this is. I feel like a baby sometimes and I try not to get discouraged. I have been swimming at the Y and I plan to go again today it does feel good to swim. thank you for all your comments it's nice to talk to people I've had this done and know what it's like. sometimes I wonder if this weepiness is related to taking the hydrocodone I'm not used to taking pain medication and maybe the Melatonin for Sleep has anybody had any thoughts on this? as far as constipation goes I know that when I make a homemade vegetable soup with lots of veggies in it chicken broth and everything that that and staying away from sugar my bowels move much better.

• Posted

I quickly realized I have to double check what voice types!
    • Posted

I had a partial knee done on my left knee August 16 and did really well. Oxycodone kep the pain at bay. Drove the 3rd day and was able to get around on a walker with minimal swelling. I had my right knee done yesterday November 20TH at 9am. I have spinal stenosis I have found since my first surgery and my pcp has had me on oxycodone and a time released Oxycoten for 2 months. I came too in post opp and have never felt pain like this and I have been shot. I had tears just running down my face. They could not get my pain to go away for over a hour because my body had gotten use to them. 4 10ml shots of morphine and 10ml of Dilodad and finally they gave me fentynal to stop the pain and had to put me on O2 for another hour because my O2 level was at 64%. I was sent home a hour and half later. I was given a piece of paper with some exercises to do.NO PT. Some oxycodone and Valium. I was suppose to start doing exercise today but my whole leg hurts so bad it almost unbearable. I can only take the pain and hope it settles down in a day or two. I can’t believe the difference in this op compared to the first one. Had they been switched, their wouldn’t have been a second. Now my fear is I will run out of pain medication and their will be no one to call on count of Thanksgiving. I’m very thankful I had the means to get my knees fixed. I just pray God will take some of the pain away. I know all things are possible through Christ. I am living proof of that. Thanks to any response😔

• Posted

I feel your pain I had a partial done 3 weeks ago and the pain has been horrific. I have been on pain killers for a few yrs because of 4 back surgeries and Percocet does not work very well. I am always running short because I have to take so many. I pray often that God takes the pain away. I am so sick of taking pain meds and want off of them. I dont know how the drug addicts do it. Doctor said I just have to suck it up because the meds don't work so I do a lot of praying.

• Posted

I just had tnr 3 weeks ago. 1st two weeks were very painful but i did do some therapy. Have to strengthen the muscles around knee. I have a partial metal knee, bionic woman.. I stay positive becuz my knee was very messed up b4. Cortisone shot only lasted 2 weeks. Hang in there.. : )
    • Posted

how are you now? my husband is 15 days in. hes been through the wringer. he walked well the first three days....but has gotten much worse and walking is very very slow. my concern is the stabbing pain he describes that will start in early evening after relative comfort - lying down. it starts...it escalates...and he drags himself to bed in agony - even when our kids are here to watch the hockey game with him. it does not seem normal and i am concerned. he only has 65 degrees bend as well. hes a 55 year old - fit carpenter. your thoughts?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.