I am 53 and have had Asthma since I was about 3 years ol...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 53 and have had Asthma since I was about 3 years old. I suffered whooping cough and double pneumonia in infancy and after coughing up lots of blood I spent a number of weeks in hospital, doing what I now know was postural drainage and mucus clearance. I was diagnosed with chronic asthma and after that I had numerous lung and sinus infections. However I still managed to lead a pretty normal life and I am married with two teenage boys. I have never smoked but had to share a small office with chain smokers in my twenties which caused my Asthma to flare up very badly. I was treated over the years with bronchodilators and steroids in both tablet form and inhalers. I have had to have my sinus drained 3 times.

In the late 1990’s I decided to change profession and went to University and qualified as a Primary School teacher in 2001. As soon as I started teaching my chest infections increased and after 1.5 years of teaching full time I ended up in hospital. The chest consultant saw something odd on my chest x-ray and I then had a CT scan. I was told that I had Bronchiectasis but after 6 months of increased steroids, bronchodilators and antibiotics I was still struggling to breathe properly. I went to see another chest consultant for a second opinion and he carried out a Bronchoscopy and diagnosed ABPA (Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis). Since late 2002 I have been treated with antifungal medicine and the ABPA is now under control. I am still taking bronchodilators, steroid inhaler and antifungal medicines. Recent spirometry tests showed a marked improvement over the past 2 years.

I have the flu jab every year plus the Pneumonia jab every 5 years. I do find exercise helps a great deal even if it is just a brisk walk each day or a 15 min. static bike ride. My lung consultant (Second one) has given me my life back and he is always telling me that exercise is essential for healthy lungs.

I still experience infections but I nebulise daily with Sodium Chloride before the Postural Drainage and that helps to make the mucus easier to clear, which in turn helps to reduce the chance of chest infections. When I produce green phlegm and have a fever I take antibiotics immediately to avoid any further lung damage. I also have regular sputum cultures done to check if my lungs are growing anything! I have had Pseudomonas in the past which was treated in hospital with IV antibiotics however cross fingers my sputum has not indicated Pseudomonas for 14 months now. I am feeling quite positive now although I have had to retire and I sometimes feel very tired.

I find this site most helpful as you can actually read comments from other people with the disease. I have also recently joined an internet support group (Bronchiectasis R us)and find it is great to talk to other people all over the world with both Bronchiectasis and ABPA.

:D

[i:0c5a6e41c2]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:0c5a6e41c2]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The hardest part about the bronch is finding the correct diagnoses, I'm pleased to read they finally found the cause of your bronch and have been able to tailor the treatment accordingly.

Prompt treatment see to be the key in helping to manage the condition.

I find the members support group "Bronchiectasis R us " are very helpful and there is always some one to talk to or to ask for advice

Take care

Colin B

[i:098d8c7f4b]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:098d8c7f4b]

• Posted

I have ABPA and my history is similar to yours. My consultant suggested I take an antibiotic daily and sofar have had no further problems.

Best wishes

G

• Posted

Hi, I also have Bronchiectasis, diagnosed in 2007. I am also a member of BRUS! Mine was caused by the Measles aged 4 and was diagnosed with Asthma then. It was only when I had a Bronchoscopy and CT scan the Consultant said it was due to the Measles! Currently have an infection but swear by Active Breathing Cycle. I occasionally use a Flutter along with Saline when required. I also have other conditions which make it difficult to know what cause other problems...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.