I am 72 years old and have developed psoriasis for the first time in my life.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Initially, I developed hives on the palms of my hands, I took some anti histamines for just a few days and it cleared. That was last year and now it has suddenly reappeared but along with patches of psoriasis on my toes and soles of my feet. I was given lots of creams to try but none eased the intense pain and itching. I have now followed a local herbal remedy used here in Serbia, called fat chicken, actually it is sedam. I rinse and dry the leaf and carefully remove the film or simply try to scratch the surface which produces some liquid. I place this over the newly washed and dried affected area and tape it down, put on cotton socks and leave it for about 24 hrs This is not curing the condition so far, but gives great relief from pain and itching and the redness is a lot less. I read that this condition has been linked to smoking - guilty I am a baby boomer and gluten intolerance- I gave up eating bread, except for sweetcorn bread, when I discovered how it provoked my IBS. i have always been a healthy soul and my delight has always be to be barefoot whenever possible. This condition is therefore doubly torturous for me. I feel guilty because people have so many dreadful illnesses to put up with, but if anyone has advice for this condition I would be very grateful. Oh I do take bp tablets and statins and am assured it is not due to them.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Amanda

First I will say I am not familiar with Serbian Health Services, or Herbal Medicine.

What I do say hower is I have suffered for Poriasis now for thirty years and mine has spread to my joints and tendons. i suffer various flareups during various periods of the year. I need to take Opiates, Celebrex Nsid and Amytryptalene for nerve damage and Citalopram for the associated Depression.

I have stopped using steriod creams and tar mixes for the scalpas many of these seem to thin the skin.

In the UK they use PUVA light treatment on the dried skin and various Sacalitic Acid ointments at various strengths, they do thin the skin.

The problem with this condition can be genetic or stress, sometimes both it does effect the immune system it becomes overreactive and attacks various parts of your body.

What I do now is use good quality skin softeners when my skin is bad, granted if it is in the scalp I do use a tar shampoo when really bad. Aquatiouse Cream is a good cream to use over the whole body in my case as is E45 Cream they give the skin moist and do not thin the surface down.

If you use Salic Acid, here they apply the cream then wash it off with water and Aquatious cream to prevent thinning and build up the skin softness

Remeber sunlight seems to have a positive effect. Some treatments may be tried by Dermitology my be different for the various types of this condition

BOB

• Posted

First of all Calcium Channel blockers for BP can aggravate psoriasis! I also had a similar outbreak last year with spots that was treated with anti histermines and I've already had hives a few years ago.

What kind of psoriasis have you got? as I've got guttate which is easier to clear but obviously not cure and guttate is triggered by throat infection or tonsillitis, it's not down to diet either.

I swear by using Vicks vapour rub as this was a turning point for me to control the itch also, take a salt bath, which could sting the first time if you have open soars!!! Then as soon as you get out, pat yourself dry, then apply Vaseline as this locks in moisture and also it helps to keep your psoriasis moist for longer. It's key to keep it moist to stop it from drying and making you itch.

If your psoriasis is bad try and get your doctor to refer you to dermatologist and see if you can get it treated with UVB light therapy.

I've got a website about my story with psoriasis just got to www dot majaz dot co dot uk. Just replace dot with . Make sure there are no spaces either

• Posted

Hi there

Sounds like Palmar Plantar Pustulosis which I've had for 17 years. It isan odd one bbecause it only affects palms of hands and soles of feet. It is horribly itchy and can result im very deep painful fissures which may become affected.

If possible you must see a dermatologist for diagnosis and treatment. Other responders have provided great advise. Lots of none perfumed moisturising, after cool washing ,, none perfumed soap. After lots ofmmoisturising before bed,apply clean socks and cotton gloves. Please also get some antihistamines to relieve the terrible itch.

So please see dermatologist please. Good Luck

• Posted

With my psoriasis i now leave well alone, my hands get covered at various times of the year for say four weeks then calms and virtually disapears while on arms legs and feet can get in a bad way, 

With my hand I use BIO OILS it is expensive and it is used to soften skin after operaations. i was suprised when I found it had positive feedback on this relentless condition

My Immune system is really overractive and it would be interested if there are any new research on its calming down.??. I am always tired because of this problem

My PsA is quite extensive and have just had a Tendon split in one of my fingers.

With me it  is not only my joints, hips shoulders and spine etc it is the associated damage to the tendon shieves that make the problem of  flexing joints a real problem

We moved and had to leave a hydro bathroom and many adaptation we had ade throughout the years.

Now, yessterday we have just completed new adaption to our new home, We have a shower that includes multipal shower heads and seating. The side shower heads is a nice touch as I can  remove creams without bending. The toilet, bath and shower has handrails and supports that helps me rise and get up from sitting lying. 

We have also a large bath with supports, airspar and waterspa and the associated chromo lighting, my last bit is the installation of a Belt Drive riser and lowering device that is fitted around the bath. I have not tried it yet it will be nice to use a bath once more.

With adaptations Ocupational Therapists can supply handraills and other pieces of equipment and if we need to purchase any gear we get the VAT back so that is a nice check to get, and that sweetens the pill because of cost.

Some copanies that anufacture bathing seats will sell the seats direct and you employ a workam to install the equipment this can save a great deal of money.

Of course we are not supposed to bathe too long because of skin dryout. I suppose that is part of this horrible illness.

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.