I am about to start my 2nd course of Esmya

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone know if you have to have a break of exactly 'one month' before going back onto Esmya. I finished taking a 3 month course on 25th April & I am therefore due to restart Esmya on 25th May. However, I have started bleeding today & wondered if anyone knows if I can start taking it a few days earlier? I am due to go on holiday next week & want the bleeding to stop in time! Please help!! 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Helen, I don't know if there is any particular reason for this gap, I thought most people actually were told 2 months. Anyway in my experience (3 courses) I have never been able to stop the bleeding very quickly with Esmya, and find when I fly I always bleed in the few days afterwards no matter what! 
    • Posted

Thankyou Christine, just trying to get as much advice as possible. I have a week to go until my holiday & the bleeding will probably stop in time  but I just wanted to really make sure. I had no bleeding whatsoever whilst taking Esmya so I thought it might guarantee it, if i started taking the tablets before my month's break was up. As you can imagine, after 3 months of no bleeding, I could really do with it not happening during a holiday! What a nightmare!
  • Posted

Hi Helen,

My doctor told me not to have a break; I  started my first box, the doctor told me to carry on until the third then have a month break. Did you see any difference after the first box?

• Posted

Yes I have done a 3 month course already & am now on my 'month's break' but wanted to know if it was ok if it was slightly less than a month  (5 days short of a month) as I desperatley want the bleeding to shop in time for my holiday.

In answer to your question, when I first started taking Esmya, had a few hot flushes at night for the first few weeks & then felt great. Once they'd kicked in, I actually felt like I had more energy? Strange? x

• Posted

I think Farida is talking about breaks between each box here and not between each 3 month course... ........ You usually take for 3 months as a course which is 3 boxes. Then have the break between the next 3 month course of 3 boxes..       I wonder why people are now talking about ONE month breaks now, is this something GPs are now saying, I was told TWO and it says TWO in the leaflet in the tablet box.. I wonder if some GPs really dont know about these tablets, They are new to gynaecologists even for this intermittent treatment.  When I saw my GP I was pretty much telling her, she did not seem to know. At least there was a letter from the Gynaecologist though for her to read.    
    • Posted

Hi Shell, My gynacholgist told me 3 months then one month break. But she told me that I will no longer have periods! which is not the case with most of the people commenting. I am curious to see what will happen, I have only started Esmya so I don't have any reaction to it yet! I am almost half way through the first box. 

• Posted

Hi Helen, I have now had 2 ' 3 month courses' of esmya and YES I was told you should have a 2 month break by the consultant gynaeologist between each 3 month course.  That is the recommendation.  When you finish the first course, your period usually comes within a month , (mine came about 28 days after finishing), when the next period comes after another month, you start the esmya within the first few days of that period starting. I dont think esmya affects that period as it has not built up yet, but the next 3 dont usually take place ( I then go period free for 3 months)..    The leaflet inside the tablet box confirms this.. when taking more than 1   3-month course  'You should start at the earliest during the SECOND menstrual period following the previous treatment completion'. &  'You should always take within the first week of menstrual period'... Hope that helps.  Good  luck
    • Posted

Thank you Shell, that does help. my consultant said only a month's break, maybe its because I'm on the waiting list for a hysterectomy? I agree that each consultant is giving different advice. I think I'm just gonna start taking it (only 4 days short of a months break anyway now) so shouldnt do any harm. Thank you again & good luck to you too.
  • Posted

Helen,

I challenged my gnie consultant when I was first on it for 3 months about the break he told me to do the 6 months without a break. I said what about what the leaflet says? He said you don't have to have a break. I said I'd rather do what the leaflet says as I wasn't bothered about the break for bleeding & was actually keen to see if the bleeding went back to normal. So he said fine if you want to do it that way. Then I had 6 month course of Zoladex with no bleeding & little shrinkage & was put back on ullipristal. I had so many questions to ask the consultant I forgot to ask him when to start the Esmya again. I was keen again to make sure my periods come back so I left it a month or so & then when I could see they were going to come back, I rang them they said take it straight away (or the fibroid will continue increasing - as it can increase fairly quickly) so I did. I am considering embolisation in the hope that I will be assured a keyhole hystorectomy. As I'm on the outer limit for keyhole hysterectomy but couldnt have a myomectomy by key hole. I really dont want open if I can avoid it as my back problems all started after I had a C Section.

• Posted

Hi Heather and Helen,  Its interesting I have heard that the shrinkage can remain for 6 to 9 months after stopping.   It must depend on how long you have taken it to start with I would have thought. For me I think the first lot of 3 months didn't give enough shrinkage and I needed the second course of 3. I just go by my pelvic pain being minimised, have not had any follow up scans.   Its very tricky to know how long you can then go. I want to now stay off as long as possible before having to take again. I do get the odd hot feeling etc.  
    • Posted

Thank you Heather, thats put my mind at rest!  Its funny how we've all been told different things. Really appreciate your comments x
    • Posted

After taking Esmya for 3 months, my fibroid had shrunk by about 2cm, the consultant said it was enough to put me on the waiting list for hysterectomy but in the meantime, to start Esmya again whilst I'm waiting, she thought it gives it a chance to shrink some more ready for surgery & obviously stop the bleeding, which makes me much happier!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.