I am being sent for an MRCP after previously having an ERCP. Is this common practice?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all. Here is a summary of the situation. I was diagnosed with gallstones in December 2016 after going to hospital with severe pain in my upper abdominal area. I was admitted to hospital on the same day I was diagnosed with the gallstones. I also had raised LFTs (ALT and bilirubin). I spent a week in hospital where I was diagnosed with pancreatitis, which the doctors said was caused by the gallstones. I had an ERCP procedure done, however I have no idea if this procedure was a success as none of the doctors told me anything. I recall that the procedure seemed very quick and it was completed in around 5 minutes. I read online that an ERCP usually takes from 15 minutes to an hour to perform. I was later discharged from hospital. I went to see a consultant about a month ago. He said I would need to have an MRCP done prior to consideration for a cholecystectomy. MRCP is esentially an MRI scan of the gallbladder and bile ducts. The purpose of the MRCP is to check for intra-ductal calculus. Here is what I am concerned about. I've been doing my own research and I am left with the impression that having an MRCP after an ERCP is somewhat unusual. An ERCP is therapeutic while an MRCP is purely diagnostic. In my case, it seems I having diagnostic treatment after therapeutic treatment when it is supposed to be the other way around. Should I just trust my consultant and assume he knows what he's doing? Also, I've been considering paying to have a cholecystectomy performed privately as I feel like I will be waiting forever to have it on the NHS. I am curious how long other people waited to have their cholecystectomy after they initially were diagnosed with gallstones.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had an MRCP which I believe is so they can see clearly if there are any gallstones stuck elsewhere that may not show up on other scans.  Don't forget they can't see everything with an ERCP so they maybe using the MRCP as a confirmation or to check there's nothing else there before they remove your gallbladder.

Generally on the NHS a removal of the gallbladder is done 18 weeks from your first referral but that will depend on whether your consultant thinks you should be seen before then or not and the symptoms that you're showing and how constant they are but remember once you have a date you can always opt for a cancellation. 

I looked at going privately too but it didn't make any difference timewise by the time you see a surgeon and they do there tests the operation dates would've been within a week of each other, so I decided to try and hold on and I have my procedure next week but if it hadn't have been when it is I may have gone through with it privately. Its certainly worth looking into it then at least you have some options. Where I am its £5000 and it would be performed by the same surgeon who's doing it on the NHS.

Let me  know how you get on with the MRCP. Take care.

• Posted

I would trust in your consultant and go through the procedures. Especially if they detected pancreatitis. 

As they will do the best thing for you.. No point rushing to remove your gall bladder if your pancreas has not settled down or is still inflamed.

Thankfully i only had gall stones and had the GB removed within  about 5 weeks from starting with the very painful prob which was getting worse daily.

However my friend had pancreatitis and Gall stones. she had her gall bladder removed 10 months ago and is still having pain with pancreas. 

So see what the results are.. discuss it all fully ask the questions to the consultant, anything that your worried about. Dont be afraid to ask the questions xx

Good luck and good health xx

• Posted

Hi

Your surgeon is right the MRCP does tend to show more up of what's going on it's often a clearer image.

You are obviously well & truly in the NHS system so you should be dealt with fixed and recovery happening soon enough hopefully, so if you can wait as in not in unbearable pain then save your mone , why not treat yourself to a well earned holiday when you are fully recovered.

Can you all believe that ugly horrible little GB can cause so many people so many problems, unbelievably underestimated by everyone!!!

Feel better soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.