I am experiencing lightheadedness and fatigue. can't get a diagnosis

Posted , 14 users are following.

I will try to keep this brief. I have been struggling with sensation of lightheadedness or dizziness. It is hard to describe. At worst, it feels almost like presyncope but I don't faint. The baseline feels like I am lightheaded. Cognition is intact and vision is normal except during the presyncope attacks. Those can last minutes or sometimes hours and I can't find a pattern or trigger. This has been going on for about a year. MRI, blood work and neurologist consultation all were normal. I also experience a fullness feeling in my forehead, like an icecream headache. Sometimes yawning or laughter can trigger the forehead pain. Sometimes, I feel pressure in my temple area, not throbbing but more of a fullness pressure. Could this be due to a sinus issue? I believe I had a deviated septum but I don't have nasal discharge. Just have trouble breathing through my nose almost all the time. My family doctor doesn't think so and says its probably stress or depression but I disagree. What do you think? Thank you.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Andrew, have you had your iron levels checked?  I am anemic and when my iron gets too low or even my ferritin it causes me to have headaches, extreme fatigue and dizziness. I've also in the past had dental problems that have caused headaches and sinus issues. Hope you find out what it is. 
    • Posted

yah my iron levels are normal. I hadn't thought of it but I did have dental problems that I finally resolved when I got root canal and crown after a tooth infection. Its been 2 weeks now. Perhaps it will get better now. Thank you for your help!
  • Posted

Hello Andrew

I have had the same sensations since a n attack of Vertigo 18months ago.It is SO debilitating and I too have had all the relevant tests which come back normal.The problem is that I do not feel normal and am constantly worried that I will pass out although I never do.

the doctors and consultants tell be to try CBT therapy to alleviate the anxiety that zi experience,but all Inwant is to alleviate the dizzyness.i can really sympathise with you because unless you have suffered from this condition no one has any idea how frightening it can be.

it also lasts a long time lately and nothing special triggers it although if anything at all negative happens during the day,you can be sure the dizxyness wii appear.

I also get the feeling that  I am doing everything in slow motion.All this has totally disrupted my day to day life as I have lost confidence and don't go out too much lately.I am 71 ,but lately feel 91!!!!

if I find the cure to this I will be sire to let you know.I was told yesterday that the MRzi scan showed wear and tear in my neck which can be a cause and that is important to sleep on only one pillow and that posture is more important than we give credit to as small adjustments can make a big difference.Do you wake up in the morning with a stiff neck?I do but in the boulle of days since I changed from three to one pillow there was an improvement,but not with the dizzy episodes yet.

will keep you posted of any changes.as,because

• Posted

Andrew

I hope my post makes sense,as I read it back and noticed a few spelling/typing mistakes that I hope you can decipher with not too much difficulty.

• Posted

Thank you Wendl! I understand your post, no problems. I am sorry to hear about your condition. I certainly understand the slow motion feelings. Its almost like I am on autopilot and my consiousness is not really there. I hope we feel better soon. I will keep you posted as well
  • Posted

I have had the same issues for 3 yrs. It seems it's my TMJ that is giving me the trouble. I went to a chinesse doctor who practices herbal medicine. He did accupunture on me and cupping and I have to say I actually feel some what better. I am going back for a 2nd treatment later this week. Hope this might help,
    • Posted

Hi,  Ben Cresswell here,

I posted a few months back after I had a 2nd attack and have followed these posts since.  I would like to ask you what the three letters TMJ stand for so I can look up the terms and educate myself.  

I have a very good example to describe my symptoms of lightheadedness; it is exactly the same as when I blow up an air mattress or large beach ball,  if I could stop I would feel normal.  But I am not doing anything like that.   I looked up the reasons for getting the lighthead from blowing up ballons, mattresses etc. and it is due to the loss of balance of CO2 and O2 in your blood, which results in a PH change. 

My initial experience was nausiating and I used "COLA SYRUP" to stop the urge to regurge.  It worked remarkably well for me.  I have had mri cat scan with contrast and ent tests.  They arn't saying what I have, how long it will last or anything, so I am asking all doctors involved to send all tests and reports to my general practioner and then I am going to see him to render his opinion.  If after that I still don't have answers, I am going for a second opinion.  I have found a few places that will correspond with emails and work with you if you fax test results and such to them.  That will be my next move if the meeting yields still nothing.

Thanks for posting your situation and I hope you get better soon.

Ben

• Posted

TMJ stands for Temporomandibular joint disorder. It's basically when you grind your teeth or clinch down when you are sleeping. Give a push with your fingers infront of your ears toward your face. If it hurts then that could be your issue. You could also have your Inner ear checked for issues with your vestibular.
  • Posted

Hi Andrew.  Your story is close to mine.  I'm on predisone (8 mg per day, considered lowish) and I've been blaming that.  Out of the blue, I get dizzy and lightheaded for about 20-40 min.  I yawn, can barely stay awake.  When it passes, I am completely normal and can work out, no problem. Have mentioned it to a number of highly respected docs at UCSF and Stanford -- cardio, rhueumatology, GP, GI, you name it -- and they all go blank.  Tests says I'm healthy.  They blame it on the prednisone, but it's clear it's a best guess.  It seems to come in the evening.  Maybe if I don't eat early enough. I call them sugar spells, but I've tested my blood sugar during and after and the bs is normal.  I'm pretty sure I'm cognitively clear during the episodes (typing this now during one) although once my partner gave me a stroke test and I laughed, thinking my speech was clear as a bell (guess it wasn't).  Have never fainted.  Doubt that it's either depression or stress.  Also have a deviated septum and sinus issues, but minor, and wouldn't imagine that's the problem.

Are you by any chance on prednisone? 

Thanks

• Posted

Have you been tested for Lyme Disease? I had the same thing going on and went to mAny doctors. After much research I was convinced I had Lyme. I had the test done and sure enough it was Lyme with a coinfection babesia. I never had a bulls eye rash or anything nor did I see the tick on me.
  • Posted

I Andrew. Wondering how you are getting on. I have the same issue for about 12 months and maybe getting worse. Up to a halter monitor tomorrow for 24hours. There has been suggestions of anxiety but not sure how when I am sitting here doing nothing.

Would love to know how your going for both you and any advice you may be able to pass on

• Posted

My son has constant fetigue and dizziness I have had all tests done MRI ENT blood test lime deases test he took pritnesone medication for about one month then earring fetigue and dizziness followed he is scared to death I m woundering if you have gotten any better I will let you know if I found out what the problem is please keep me posted my prayer is with you and my son
    • Posted

Has he been checked for migraines and or sleep apnea? Worth looking into both. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.