I am getting more sick with every blood draw. Is it normal

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have gotten weekly blood draws for about a month and a half now and seem it seems to get worse every time. Any advice on how not to be so sick? It puts me down for 3-4 days Noe. My kids want to know why mommy can't play with them. Need advice.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi angel

Sorry to hear you are having this problem, do you drink plenty of fluids

Particularly on the day of venesection, but at other times too???

When I started on weekly venesection I felt awful like you for 3 to4 days

But not physically sick,I had aches and pains,tired and lightheaded.

It is slightly easier now,I'm going this morning for venesection number 9

It has to be a great shock to our system having blood taken from our

Bodies with such regularity, depending on what your level is ask to go

Fortnightly for a few weeks,.

Best of luck

Philx

• Posted

Good luck with vs today. I'm also off in a minute for my 7th one. I might change to fortnightly as my body is struggling at the moment.

• Posted

I'm also having weekly venesection. The first few really knocked the stuffing out of me and it took 2/3 days for body to recover.it all changed on the 6th one, I felt brilliant the next day, but then got terrible pains in my left arm and had chest pain. Last week was meant to be 7th vs but because of the pain I was sent to a&e. I'm due to have another vs this morning and still have pain in my left arm and chest. I'm feeling tired and in pain, but desperately want to get on with vs so I hope all goes well today. My kids are 12 and 14 and they understand when I need to rest. It must be tough when they are smaller as they are more demanding. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Angel. A huge meal before hand, snacking on chocolate during, and loads of water before during and after. That's how I coped, and it worked a treat. Was a little light headed a few hours after, but that was about it.

I think having eaten well, and always well hydrated should do the trick.

I wish you well.

Mike.

• Posted

Hi Angel,  I’m about 75% through the "de-ironing" process and have dealt with similar tiredness/exhaustion issues following phlebotomies.  I’m very fortunate in that my GP is also a hematologist, and he runs a full CBC each time I go in for a blood draw.  With me, it appears that even though my hemoglobin level may show that I’m able to be bled (I believe the minimum level for a male is usually 125 g/l or 12.5 g/dl), my red blood count (RBC) and hematocrit (HCT) levels may still be quite depressed, indicating that I’ve not fully recovered from the previous phlebotomy.  The times I was bled when my RBC/HCT levels were depressed (even though my hemoglobin level was over 12.5 g/dl), I ended up sleeping 12-14hrs per day for the 2-3 days immediately following the phlebotomies.  After those experiences (and my ferritin level had fallen by about 50% from its initial level), I switched over to a schedule of phlebotomies every 9-10 days, and just transitioned over to a fortnightly schedule when my ferritin level dropped below 200. For me, those extra days of recovery make all the difference in the world.  NB: The one thing that I’ve learned in dealing with this disease is that everyone’s body is unique, so my experience may not be applicable to yours.  That said, if your doctor/hematologist isn’t running a full CBC when you go in for your blood draws, I’d definitely request that one be done the next time you go in, and ask that he/she evaluate your RBC and HCT levels.  It never hurts to be a fully informed patient (even though I have to admit that I do have days when I long for blissful ignorance!).  Best of luck, Ed

• Posted

Hi angel, I don't know that it's normal but I react in exactly the same way - no matter how many tactics I try. I'd had so much to drink last time, I could feel it sloshing around in my stomach! I've been told to : drink & eat huge amounts the day before; drink milk because it is the best hydrator; eat salted crisps; drink that stuff you can buy for post diarrhoea; eat chocolate before & after; clench & un clench your buttocks during & after & keep crossing & un crossing your legs before & after. I've tried them all & still feel faint afterwards & ill for a couple of days. It's now been put down to my low blood pressure & the fact that my blood gushes out really quickly. Do you have low blood pressure?

• Posted

I tried responding the first day but for some reason my post wasn't allowed; I'll try to stay briefer.

Honestly it's very possible the problem is your transferrin saturation elevating after the blood draw.  It's like our bodies say, "I've lost blood quick!  Pull iron out of storage to rebuild!"  And then pulls out MORE iron than can be properly bound by transferrin in our bloodstream.  

If Transferrin is fully saturated--then free radical iron is going through your bloodstream wreaking havoc everywhere (essentially you're being poisoned by the iron). When it happens to me, I feel sick to my stomach, generally unwell, and my brain goes out the window.  But they have to get the iron out.  

The only solution I know is keep iron consumption really low for a few days after (don't add to the problem by eating high iron foods--no breakfast cereals or red meat!).  Also, theoretically taking IP6 (can buy at any health food store) for those few days should bind the free radical iron in your blood (and help to deiron you faster as well).  I'm not positive if it really works but the literature says it should.  Finally, that reaction for me happens less often if they draw the blood slowly.

I could say much more about this subject of transferrin saturation episodes; it's mostly ignored by the medical community (maybe because there's nothing they feel they can do about it).

Since I do a lot of proactive self care, I've tested my blood the morning after a phlebotomy fasting--and it was in 100% alert status! (while I was having bad symptomsI) So I shared with my hemotologist that I thought my body over reacts to the Phlebs by pulling TOO much iron out of storage.  She said, "That happens to everyone!"  Wow.  Try the IP6 it might help!

• Posted

Wow this makes perfect sense, Thank you Valerie for your learened knowledge ... I'll give the IP6 a go to.

• Posted

Thanks everyone. There is a lot of good advice. I will try them and let you all know.
  • Posted

Hi. I'm in maintenance now, have been for about 6 months. I've had three blood tests for ferritin. Last one was 8!!!! I've been taking IP6 for ages now. I swear by it. Read all about it.....powerful anti oxidant, an iron chelator.....I also take turmeric, green tea and calcium. All together, seem to be working miracles. I eat normally, enjoy my wine and beer at weekends..also a blood donor now. IP6 all the way!! Mike.

• Posted

Morning mike

Where do you buy your ip6 from. Holland and Barrett are around

£8 for 100 capsules 3 a day ???

I'm same as you temeric, black tea,milk.

V/section Thursday dropped 59.standing at 514 now?

Come down from over 1400 since 6.7.16 more than happy

Keep on keeping on mike

Cheers philx

• Posted

Hi Phil. Your levels are doing great. Well done! Look forward to hearing when you've made it to below 50. Won't be long. I order my IP6 on Amazon. Can't remember the price off hand, but probably similar to Holland and Barrat. They didn't sell it last year, they must have now cottoned on to how good the stuff is.

All the best. Mike.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.