I am on many oral meds and have concerns about the Xolair shot

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am waiting for my inurance to authorize payment on my Xolair shots, while I am waiting, I currently take 2 fexofenadine, 2 cetirizine, 2 ranitidine, montelukast and hydroxyzine to "control" my pressure and ciu hives.  i have had minor (75-100) hives a day to major (whole body broken out) breakouts for the last 6 months but have dealt with pressure hives for about 5 years. I ws told once I start the Xolair injections I have to continue taking all of my medications, my questions for someone getting the Xolair injections : were you able to go off of your medications after starting the injections? What is the longest duration of someone getting the injections (5-6 injections or more?) and for those of you who have had long term injections, is the injection actually working for you?  I have concerns about getting the injections if I have to continue all the meds I am on and have to use the injections for a very long time--can some one help me out?  Thanks!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi charity07455,

I've had chronic urticaria for just over 2 years now. I started xolair about 6 months after breaking out when nothing else worked. (I tried everything including the medications you are currently on.) The xolair worked for me and I didn't have to take any other medication while I was on it. It was a great relief. (I had 2 shots once a month.) Unfortunately, I'm one of the rare cases where xolair stopped working after 7 months. They increased my dosage but it didn't help. From what I understand, typically if xolair works for you, it should continue to give you relief as long as you continue with the shots.

I've been on Dapsone for about 8 months now. And again, I just had a bad breakout that I had to take prednisone for. So my body just seems to get used to medications and they stop working. I'm hoping the Dapsone will start working again. I think immunity suppressing drugs are the next steps... which really scare me.

I wish you the best of luck with the xolair injections. My guess is that after an extended period of time, they will try to taper down to see if your hives have gone away. Best wishes!

• Posted

Im praying so hard that zolair works for me i'm at the end of my rope and not having good thoughts if zolair doesn't work.  i've had this for three years and my patience is running out there is so much a person can take. I'm suppose to get the firt shot sometime next week I want my life back.  

• Posted

When it was working did you have to watch everything you ate still or you had a normal life ?
    • Posted

Hi rose00110,

When I was on xolair, I was able to eat anything and after a while I could wear perfumed lotions again ... while it was working. My hives have never been connected to any foods or external triggers that any test could find. If you find that avoiding certain foods helps you, I would continue doing it. I'm starting to read a lot about food sensitivities and there is a test that can be done for it but you have to be off all medication for a week. I'm not brave enough to try that while the Dapsone is working.

My doctor gave me half a dose of xolair for the first shot to make sure I didn't have a reaction to it. Make sure you have an epi-pen available to you. I'm sure your doctor has told you this already. Once I was ok on the xolair, he gave me the full dosage. I started to see/feel relief in the first week. Good luck and I pray that it works for you. Hang in there!

• Posted

That's what i'm hoping for I have cut out dairy gluten sugar tomato products and more and i'm i'm still braking out so it's not food for me either but I have noticed that some foods makes it ten times worse specially chocolate and coffee.  So it helps to a certain point.  I just can't wait to get my shot. Today I was in bed all day i'm feeling that i'm losing the strenght to fight this.   I'll keep you informed on how it goes.  It should be sometime next week I am getting the full 300 mg and yes she told me about possible reactions.  

• Posted

Something else i wanted to ask you.  With this drug the side effect list is endless did you get any of the side effect.  Let me know 

thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.