I am recently detected with hypothyroidism

Posted , 5 users are following.

With TSH 8.97 is it very high what should I do?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Mrinali:

I am a Nurse and live in the USA.  When you have thyroid disease your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) acts up.  TSH is an indicator in your blood work that a problem is happening.  You can see your GP or a doctor called an Endocrinologist "Endo" for short.  They can prescribe a thyroid replacement medicine and it will help as you build a level.  After a proper level is obtained your TSH will be normal again.

There are several blood tests that need to be taken such as T3 & T4 levels and a mineral panel, (calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and sodium). Also it is a good idea to have a Vit D level done  Blood work helps to diagnose you better, so please ask your doctor to order the above blood work.

I hope this helps.  Be well, Shelly

• Posted

Hello Barbara:

I am sorry I forgot a test.  Thanks for letting me know.  I am doing it from my brain to the keyboard....LOL.  XO, Shelly

• Posted

Hello Shelley, sorry my reply was brief - I had wriiten a longer reply then my phone jumped so I accidentally clicked on the advert. When I went back it had lost the message grrr!
    • Posted

Hello Barbara:

I wish I could "touch type"  but I never was good at it.  I must look at the keys.  I am missing the typing gene...LOL.  I once tried to teach myself how to do it and the CD had a game to practice.  the lizard would come out and for every letter that was correct, he would eat it...well he did not get too many from me and walked off.  LOL.  Shelly

• Posted

Hello Mrinali:

Another important test to ask for is Ferritin level, as Barbara mentioned on here.  All the blood work we mention here is important to see how your thyroid is right  now and how it improves once you start thyroid meds.  Please call your doctor and keep in touch on here so we know how you are doing.  XO Shelly

• Posted

Thank you very much for all your concern 
  • Posted

Two years ago my TSH hit 121, detected on a routine physical exam.  My primary care doctor immediately ordered my to a local hospital for an overnite stay and a lot more tests.  Suffice it to say that by now I know a little bit about hypothyroidism. In particular, my thyroid doctor regularly monitors Free T4 and Free T3, not just TSH.  The FT4 and FT3 tests are more accurate than simple T4 and T3.  My experience in the USA is that some endocrinologists know surprisingly little about hypothyroid treatment options and the spectrum of blood tests that are available.  T4 only synthetic drugs work for some patients, but not for others.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.