I am sceduled 4 RTHR Aug 24th 2015

Posted , 11 users are following.

Currently disabled and having increasing pain.  Tell me good stuff/tips/things to look forward 2.

5 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Dear Beth,

The most important thing is that after the operation you will not feel the pain caused by arthritis anymore...You will be in pain because it is a big op, but you will feel better day by day...

Best wishes and take care!

Ella

• Posted

Oh Beth! Remember walking without pain? Going shopping without worrying where you'll leave the car - will it be too far to walk to more than one shop? Being able to carry your bags home without being hampered with sticks or crutches? Walking for pleasure? Cycling? Swimming? Going to the gym? 

All this will be yours in a few short weeks.

it does come with a downside though - you have NO excuse not to do the housework!

i know you'll be nervous going for th op - we all were - but although the incision will hurt like hell to start with there will be NO arthritis pain from the minute you open your eyes.

good luck

Rosie

• Posted

Hi Beth

Well, the best thing that you can look forward to is to have no more OA pain!  And (at least from my experience - RTHR nearly 5 weeks ago) the simple joy of standing up and walking around again without it being, well, a complete pain.  It really is amazing...

Just try and get yourself as organised as possible beforehand - with all the things that you may need, including: decent upright chair of the right height, grabber, long handled shoe horn, raised loo seat, lots of pillows for your bed..... I found packs of baby wipes helpful .... and things to read/films to watch etc.  Think about getting meals etc arranged/frozen up if need be / what needs your family may have, if appropriate .... but the weeks after you come home from hospital need to be all about you, and everyone needs to be following that thought.

Good luck!

Neil

• Posted

Hello Beth

I was like you and only able to get out if someone took me out in a wheelchair.

But then in the last year even that was not possable because it hurt so much.

My only days out of the house in the end was going to hospital in Ambulance transport. That was it. Not much of a life. You will only have a little pain from the operation for which you will get pain killers to help you with that. But you won't be in anything like the pain you are in now. Write down all the questions you want to ask when your surgeon or his team come up to see you on the ward before you go down. Take plenty of things to do because you will easily get bored otherwise.

Anything worrying you tell someone they really won't mind. You won't be in the operating theater long and you should be up and about either the same or the next day. They encourage you to get out of bed. You will mwonder why you waited so long once you are done. It really will be a big change in your life. just take it easy in the first 6 weeks or so and don't rush to do things.

Good luck :-)

• Posted

Hi Beth

This is life changing stuff!

I am 63, very active, working full time and prior to my op I was in pain day and night. Surgeon told my when he operated that the joint had collapsed and femur was coming out of socket. I couldn't walk properly and was absolutely exhausted all the time.

7 weeks post op, I look really well ( not so before) and life is a pleasure once more. Yes it's a slow journey with some pain and discomfort, but NO ARTHRITIC PAIN. I can look forward to doing all the things I could not do before and actually having a life. You will too - don't worry about your op, be calm and accepting of it. Put all your faith in the medical team - they are absolutely marvellous and you will be fine!

Kind regards Linda xx

• Posted

Hi Beth,

Thanks for posting.  I will be having RTHR this coming Monday and needed to hear all the good things again to help alleviate the anxiety.  Thanks everyone for your wonderful support and enthusiasm for each "hippie".   All the best to you Beth.

Jeanne(aka Sally)

• Posted

Dear Beth

Greetings!

Well...it's like, having your LIFE back.

Mic

X

• Posted

Hi Beth

all of the above plus we will all be here, don't know what I would have done without this site in the early days especially when I couldn't sleep !  I am 6 weeks now and sleeping like a baby - no oa pain!!!!

look forward to getting your life back

good luck

Carol😄 Xx

• Posted

Beth it's a whole new life out there waiting to be explored xx
  • Posted

1 month after I am......

Walking....without an aid

Pain free

painfree driving

sitting on the floor with the kids

walking bear foot on the grass at the beach this week

doing stairs normally

swimming

And I know it will just get better as the light at the end of the tunnel I was in is VERY bright.

🌈💌🌈💌

• Posted

Dear Beth, 

You found the right place !!! Welcome to this loving group of fellow hippies, hippes to be etc -

As you can see from the honest and personal responses, life will only get better ... 

Please let us know what you are worried about, your concerns and questions,okay - 

warm hug 

renee

• Posted

Hi Beth! Good luck to you! Please make sure that you have a good team of helper's! Also a plastic sheet to help with getting into bed and out.if you're sleeping upstairs please get a canvas bag of your things you need in the day.I found this useful and lived on easy foods.regards Amanda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.