I am seeing a surgeon soon about getting surgery for my hidradenitis suppravita in my groin area

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone had surgery in the groin area for hidradenits suppravita.  Mine is extensive and will probably require skin grafts.  What is the duration for recovery and how painful is this and be honest.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I've had many (100s) of opps in this area down to lumps being removed glands removed and even large areas of skin removed

So healing time is very difficult to say as they are very different shortest 2wks longest 8months

Wot I will say is keep that area as clean as u can and this will help with the healing time

I've had very painful to just uncomfortable so again depends wot they are doing in your opp

• Posted

Hello, I have recently had surgery in both groin areas but the left side developed a haematoma and had to be reopened and cleared. It was horrendous as the area was a very large open wound. The wound needed a vac pac dressing for 3 weeks and a pico dressing for another 8 weeks. The district nurses were visiting everyday day until I felt well enough to drive(6 weeks later). Vac pac and pico are special dressings that promote healing from the inside. The wound is now healed but tight and hard. The right side healed absolutely fine . I have decided not to have plastic surgery as I feared complications. It's very much an individual journey and hope I have been as honest as possible. I still don't feel brilliant but I was very anaemic after op and didn't eat for 10 days! Great way to lose weight!
    • Posted

Hi Julie,

Thank you so much for you input.  I have very large areas in my groin and peritineal area and am so afraid of the surgery and the healing time and possible complications.  I so appreciate you letting me know the truth.  I hope you are doing well and please keep in touch.  I will be seeing my surgeon on Feb. 23rd.  I was also wondering how painful this is going to be, but, I figured it couldn't be worse than the pain I suffer everyday.  Some days I can hardly walk.  Anyway, thank you again.

• Posted

Hi, I am new to this forum, yet know the effects of this particular surgery all too well. I had surgery on my groin/ perineal area in October 2015. I had been suffering from a horrendous flare up on my back side ( I'm have stage 2 HS, diagnosed in June 2012) . I went in to my local ER, desperate and in excruciating pain. There were multiple boils connected through a series of sinus tracts. After being examined, I was admitted to have surgery the following day. I was admitted with the intention of having an I&D and excision of the gluteal area only to have undergone surgery and waking up in recovery having multiple abscesses (9) removed from my groin and pereneal area. The surgery team opted to remove these accesses instead of the problem area on my backside because they thought that this area was less extensive and was the root of the problem causing my backside to flare up. I stayed in the hospital four additional days while recovering. My hospital stay was extended after surgery to stabilize elevevated blood sugar levels that were reading 300 plus because I was unaware that I was diabetic, go figure on top of having HS. I was given a continuous dose of morphine thru IV ans Norco 750 mg by mouth as needed. The worst pain was not being able to lay down flat on my back or sit semi upright in my hospital bed. I was able to walk on day 3 post surgery. I had multiple stitches were the abcess were removed, a total of 9 wounds with some being 3 inches deep and 4 inches wide. It was awful. After being discharged from the hospital l, I was on sick leave from work for 7 weeks. The first 2 weeks were downright awful. My stitches started to burst open requiring me to go back to ER after being home for 3 days. I was told by the surgery team that the stitches were expected to open a little so that the wounds could heal faster, yeah, no fun at all. It hurt so bad to the point were the only relief I got was when I was sleep after taking a dose of Norco, which I absolutely hated taking. I'm not much for taking pain medication as I don't tolerate the effects too well. Taking the Norco 725--- 325 mg made me feel as if I was having an out of body experience. I also was prescribed Amoxicillan to ward off an infection post surgery. Thank goodness my boyfriend took time off of work to act as my sole caregiver during my recovery time. Although while I was in the hospital I was walking 3 days post surgery, once I was recovering at home walking wasn't an option for at least 3 weeks. Due to the multiple incision sites, even trying to sleep was difficult just trying to find a position that didn't disturb my already bursting stitches. Speaking of stitches, they were due to be totally removed In 10-14 days post surgery. My surgeon's office rescheduled my appointment three times. I basically was left with my stitches in from 10/19/15 to 11-18-15. By that time my wounds were totally open because the stitches had burst open so much. I only maintained my sanity with frequent 4x4 inch gauze pad with saline irrigation dressing changes to keep the stitches moist and wounds clean. Oh by the way, I was using as many as 3-4 boxes of 25 count 4x4 inch gauze pads (Hospital Grade Johnson & Johnson/ Bandaid Gauze Pads with QuiltventTechnology with 3M Medipore Tape. Try not to use the Bandaid Mirasorb gauze pads as they WILL stick to your wounds and irritate your stitches if you require any. Some surgeons prefer the wounds to heal from the inside out without stitches. ) I paid for all my supplies out of pocket because I was discharged with a tiny amount of abdominal pads, tape and gauze pads that were to supposedly last 6 weeks. Well, that only lasted a week or so. Finally on 11-18-16, I had my first follow up and stitch removal with my surgeon. He said that I was healing nicely and he anticipated a full recovery by January 2016. I was prescribed another round of antibiotics, Bactrum this time. After having the stitches removed, I had a better range of motion. I could walk better and sleep a little bit more comfortably. Btw, I was finally able to take warm showers! Imagine having to wash up bedside or sink side for a month. I was ecstatic to take a real shower. Although the stitches had finally been removed, dressing changes became more frequent. It's almost embarrassing to say, but after showering you have to make sure the wounds are completely dry, so this where a hair dryer will become your best friend. There is nothing more humbling than having your caregiver (in my case my boyfriend as mentioned before) dry your wounds with a warm hair dryer before a dressing change. Yeah, imagine my horror being spread eagle having him dry the wounds in my groin. To me it was embarrassing, but he didn't mind at all. He just wanted me to recover. Fast forward to today, 2 1/2 months after my surgery,I can say my wounds are 100 % healed with scarring of course. The wounds have completed coded with the occasional occurrence of an abcess trying to surface next the wounds every now and then. I can say that I haven't had major groin/ thigh flare ups since having the surgery. My only concern is my backside continues to flare up but I'm weary of having surgery in that area because I know it will be more extensive and probably will require a skin graft. I hope my experience helps you. Everyone's surgery experience is different though, thanks for taking the time to read about mine. Best of luck to you.
    • Posted

Sorry so many typos, autocorrect is evil lol. Along with posting this in the middle of the night when I should be sleep too. 🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.