I am tryingto find a registered dietician

Posted , 5 users are following.

Having been told the GP can advise, they do not. I believe the hospital does, but doubt if contacting them would be productive.

I was a bit close to becoming a type 2 diabtis person, so was hoping that I could find a registered dietician who can advise on diet, what to eat and what not to eat.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Philip the best way to find a dietitian is to get referred to an NHS dietitian, if this is not possible you could consider to see one privately.

You could google "private dietitian" in your area.

Regards

Trish

• Posted

My GP referred me to a nutritionist / dietitian at my local hospital,

Tell your GP you need to see one

Junie

• Posted

In the UKclinical dietitians are the only professionals registered to give evidence based nutritional/dietary advice.
    • Posted

Thanks Trish for both your comments. I have found one but she is some way away and I found her through the British Dietician Association Register.I will probably go to see her as it will be money well spent. Though perhaps I could ask my GP when I see him if I can be referred to the hospital, though that could involve a long wait.

Ptolemy has advised that it is a nutritionist I need. I wonder how they differ and what their roles might be in say pre diabeties I am interested in.

• Posted

Let us know how you get on

Hope you find someone to help

Junie

• Posted

I am going to start the elimination diet, which is what they want me to do.

I am just glad I went to see them

Junie

• Posted

You should look for a nutritionist not a dietician, anyone can set up as a dietician, but a nutrtitonist needs decent qualifications. Good luck with your search. I used a nutritionist to help counteract steroid side effects. She has moved away now though. I don't think I upset her!!
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice ptolemy.

Why do you think that I need a nutritionist rather than a dietician for my pre diabetes advice? In fact in trying to find the dietician, I see that they have to be registered and qualified. I think nutritionists do as well. See the British Dietician Association register and you can see what I mean and presumably why it is so difficult to find one.

• Posted

I think it may be a matter of semantics, it is just that anyone can call themselves a dietician but not a nutritionist. If you feel they are well qualified fine.
    • Posted

Ptolemy, you actually have that round the wrong way. Dietitian is actually a protected title and only those with a degree in nutrition and dietetics and registered with the HCPC can call themselves a dietitian, anyone with a vague interest in nutrition can call themselves a nutritionist, and although some do have a degree in nutrition, many do not and will not practice and advise on the latest evidence based advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.