I AM VERY PROUD OF MYSELF!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi I am on day 7 after my total left hip replacement and this morning I bit the bullet.  I have been using my frame thinking I couldn't use the sticks as well and I have been staying in bed because I was so tired.  Today I got up before hubby, went downstairs, put a couple of lamb henries on for tea and got dressed.  Then I have been out and seen my my mum (91) been to town to apply for a blue badge (why not - I can't walk properly) and been to M&S for some treats.  I did all this on sticks and to be honest - I felt great!  Very very little pain.  I just did slow and steady reciprocal walking with the 2 sticks and did the shopping in a wheelchair with one of those chair basket things on (always wanted to that!)  I'm home now and back in bed but now I know I CAN DO IT!  For me the key is - keep moving.  The less I move the stiffer I get, the more I move the more I can and what's more the more confidence I gain.  I think half my problem was thinking that this was going to take forever and still not be right - I wasn't prepared for what the operation would do to me - now I know I can deal with it I'm cooking on gas.  So to anyone who is struggling or giving in (as I was) - keep going you will have a breakthrough day.  Little but often and do those exercises.  In bed out of bed - keep it going.  Eat well, drink lots of fluids and I tell you something else ... I have been keeping a log of my meds - my painkillers and I notice that they are going down and down and that's after 7 days!!  I hope I haven't done too much and if I have I will post it and tell you but I feel so much better.  Now I'm starting to notice things like dust and dead flowers etc so I must be improving!!

8 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Should add - hubby took me out in the car - I only walked on sticks!!!!
  • Posted

well done Mumsy, I am on week 9.5 post op left hip replacement and am walking about a mile a day with one stick and around the house with no sticks. I take every day as it comes and if I feel tired I find something less energetic to do. I sleep well I eat well and once again enjoy life without pain. smilesmile
    • Posted

Well you are further on than me but isn't it a nice feeling knowing there is a path which leads somewhere good?
  • Posted

Happy for your doing so well after only 7 days and for your wise advice.  I have been following the "hippies" for a couple of months and just figured out how to join the discussion.  I am in the US and scheduled for a RTHR on Monday Aug. 3rd.  Am wishing it were Tuesday already.  Hoping to be able to do well during and post surgery and not need narcotics for pain as I don't tolerate them well. Can you describe the pain post surgery? How is it different from arthritic pain? Don't mean to put anyone on the spot, it may be indescribable.

The arthiritc pain now is intermittently at a 10 when walking/standing for long periods.  Currently not taking any meds.   The femur is necrotic and I have been postponing this surgery for 4+ years. (mostly due to drug intolerances-of which

there have been many).  Thanks for your input.  Can't wait to be where you are. 

• Posted

It is difficult to describe post surgery pain and I suspect it is different for everyone. Although I had a general anaesthetic I was given a nerve block injection in the groin during surgery. This, I was told, would take at least 40% of my post op pain away. The pain relief post op was generous, if I said it was a 3 or 4 I was offered something. Luckily I do not have any intolerances and everything was effective. By day 8 I did not need anything at all. The pain was not that grinding never ending OA pain but raw getting less all the time
    • Posted

Thanks Maggie.  That was very helpful.  Did you have Anterior or Posterior surgery?  
    • Posted

The thing about arthritic pain is that you feel that dreadful sting right inside the groin - amongst all the other pain.  Once you have had your THR - that goes.  There is other pain - you have had invasive surgery - but whereas the groin pain would only get worse, this new pain is going to GO!  I found that yes - it hurt but moreso on movement than when still and if you can pace yourself through the first few days it WILL come better I promise.  The exercises are there for a reason.  Your surgeon will have cut through or moved many muscles and other tissues - they have now to heal and become strong again.  Exercise - well you will think it is impossible but start SMALL and often and REST and often and then gradually it will be more exercise and less rest.  Look at it as a journey - I'm not particularly prophetic but that's what it is and it IS worth doing.  You will have some pain at the incision site and you may have some pain in the groin (a different kind of pain which is going to go away) and stiffness.  My knee hurt too - you are manhandled a lot on the table although you can't feel it.  I had a spinal and was fully alert for the  whole procedure and couldn't feel a thing.  You know you are being pulled and pushed but there is NO pain whatsoever.  DO NOT WORRY about this operation because it can only bring you good things but do listen to your physical therapists and do do the exercises they suggest to you.  Keep moving even when you don't want to but alos rest, sleep, eat good food, drink plenty fluids - I favour water - and DO BE CAREFUL about things like lying on your back for six weeks when sleeping and NOT crossing your operated leg over the mid-line for months.  This important so you don't dislocate it.  The pain is not indescribable and it will be different for everyone but it gets BETTER xxx  Good luck - it is one of the best decisions you will have made.lol
    • Posted

Re-reading  your post and wishing you well on this day of your surgery. I too am in the US.

June

• Posted

Wow mumsy u sound like Ur doing great. Good for u that u can judge what Ur able for & when Ur not. I was told 2 weeks ago I was having my 1st hip done on 11th August & yesterday when I rang secretary she said whoever gave me that date was wrong & I'm not being done until 25th september. I'm devastated as I can't wait to be like u post op & doing so well. The bone on bone pain is it bearable. Is that pre op pain all gone for u now?
    • Posted

My date was moved too - its awful isn't it?  You psych yourself up and it is such a blow when you find you have to wait even longer - but it will come and yes that bone on bone pain will be gone!!  Hang in there - you can do it and you WILL be fine xxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.