I believe my band may have a leak, has anybody else ever had this problem?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had my band in 2011 and last had it filled in 2013 before my package ended. I have never had proper restriction and I know it was filled up to the max of 14ml.

When I went today to have a defil and start again fresh (thinking I had a tight band) as I've put a lot of weight back on since - the nurse only managed to get 4ml out, she then put 5ml back in and I'm back next week to see if it's disappeared, she then said it may have a leak in which case I would need a repair.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

sorry to hear you poss have a leak - it is very odd that your band was filled right up to the max and you still did not have proper restriction cos usually it is possible to reach that ultimate level of restriction without being filled to the max - infact lots of fill providers will not fill to the max as it can lead to probs in the long term - i have a 9 ml band but my consultant said he would not fill it past 7 mls as it could have a negative side effects - i did go up to 7 mls but i was having night reflux so i got a half ml taken out and this made a big diff to me at night with the reflux and no diff at all to my restriction during the day when eating - did you notice any diff with your restrition recently - were you able to eat more or eat foods such as bread which might have caused a prob in the past when you were filled to 14mls?  i would have thought that if you had lost 10 mls out of your band then you would have noticed a big diff - it will be interesting for you to see if there is still 5 mls in next week so good luck with this and i hope things are not as bad as predicted cos if your band is leaking that is such a shame after only 2
    • Posted

Hi and thanks for taking the time to reply. I never really experienced full restriction at any point which is the reason I did not bother for 3years as I thought what is the point, knew the band was there when I eaten rice, toast potatoes to quick but otherwise this were it, I can still eat hugely amounts of food and the nurse seems to think because the restriction has never really been there that's why she's thinking a leak.

I was definitely filled to the fullest because at the time I was also told u can even go another 2 ml or so over the band size but she did tell me yesterday they are not supposed do that really, I had a lot of problems at the beginning with them finding my port and I think maybe this has punctured it if this is the case but unfortunately nothing can be done about this now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 5ml she put back in is still there but not sure why it would evaporate otherwise, maybe even a slow leak she says ☹️

• Posted

you do get some natural seapage over the course of time but i think we are talking something like a half a ml over a yr - nothing like what you are experiencing - its a big shame it didnt come to light whilst you still had your package and like you say if there has been a puncture it probs happened when they were lookin for your port and poss stabbing around - good luck with all of this and i hope there is a happy outcome for you  
    • Posted

Thank you so much and I'm keeping my fingers crossed there is still 5 ml nxt week, yes I had big problems getting my port especially the first time I had to come away and make an X-ray appointment at the hospital where I had it done and they made me pay for that also which I didn't think was right at the time, can't understand really though as it stil working because I feel the hearburn etc when eat to quickly, thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.